Soul Trapper, need help on Chapter 18.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Forerunnerz, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Has anyone beaten "Chapter 18: A Hell of a Place" on Soul Trapper? It's were you fight Alastor. I can't seem to beat him because you need over 5 blocks on him. I got to 5 but always screw up on the 6th and I think I'm getting lucky. I think that his moves depend on the sound of his staff attack but it's REALLY hard to tell his attacks apart from each other. Is there a special trick to beating him? I've been playing this game non-stop for about 5 hours.. 1 hour on this boss...

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Ah...my favorite part of the game.

There's no trick to beating him other than really, really, really tuning into the spacial nature of the sounds.

There are three attacks: left, right, middle. The way to tell the middle attack from the others is that you'll hear it out of both headphones rather than just geared toward one.

Remind me, though...when you block his attacks do you also auto attack him? Or was there a button that needed pressing?

Regardless, it took me a while to get past this part too. Like a little over half an hour. Most difficult, but coolest part of the game IMHO. And once I beat it I went back to that chapter once a day for a about a week, cutting the "hits" I took to zero. So, best I can advise you is really pay attention. Helps a lot if you play in as quiet a space as you can find.

3. Forerunnerz

Feb 14, 2009
    Thanks. Now I know why I'm losing :eek:. I'm not playing with any headphones. I'm playing with the iPhones speaker. I'm not sure if I have to press something after I block his move. I think it's auto-attack.

TY for the help :D!

4. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    :eek:

lol

That's hardcore right there. I have a 1st gen touch, so I don't have the "benefit" of speakers. I love this game to death, and kinda mastered this part of the game, but fighting against Alastor without headphones is too hardcore even for me.

5. Forerunnerz

Feb 14, 2009
    #5 Forerunnerz, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
    :eek:. I guess I'm pretty good to get 5 hits on him w/o headphones.

I'm gonna have to buy yet ANOTHER pair of headphones. I already broke 5 pairs. Know any good quality headphones that is $30 or under? It's either that or I'll buy a whole bunch of cheap headphones. Sadly, I'll have em all broken by the end of the week. I'm not good with headphones..

6. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Just scrag some cheap ones for now.

7. grudgehugger

grudgehugger Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Have also been having trouble with this (and I have headphones!)

How do I know that I've hit Alastor???

I'm doing so badly I'm not sure I've ever achieved it...

A couple of times I've heard the sound of two swords clashing - does that count as a hit?

Also, I assume what you need to do is wait for the sound, then hit?

8. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Got this game after seeing this thread. I've always been a sorta fan of choose your adventures. Should I regret my purchase?:cool:

9. Topey

Topey Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Still stuck on Chapter 18... The left attack and the middle attack sound the same to me. =(

10. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    Heck no you shouldn't regret it! It is a fabulous and very intruiging audio adventure game, with EXCELLENT sound quality! I am for the record, the biggest die-hard Soul Trapper fan on Touch Arcade, and if you need help ask me! I am more than willing to help a fellow player! For the fight with Alastor, listen very carefully to distinguish which is hit is coming from the right, center or left. Kane Pryce will after three successful rounds of blocking, push and hit Alastor back until finally... Well, you'll know it when it happens. You guys can PM me for help if you need it. Hmmm... Maybe I should put up my old signature... Hmmm...