Universal San Juan by Ravensburger [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Mythbuster, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    #1 Mythbuster, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
    Hi Folks,
    the great Boardgame San Juan is on the way: From the 02.08. it will be online:

San Juan

Ravensburger Verlag GmbH
    Boardgamegeek.com: 4/5 – “San Juan is one of my favorite card games and this implementation on iOS does it justice.” Sl…
    $3.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Boardgamegeek.com: 4/5 – “San Juan is one of my favorite card games and this implementation on iOS does it justice.” Slidetoplay.com: 3/4 – "San Juan is an excellent card game." Apptudes.com: 4/5 – "A definite must-buy for fans of card games, or those looking for a little bit of strategy on their iPhone or iPad." Gamezebo.com: 4.5/5 – "It’s well worth the price of admission.” 148Apps.com: 4.5/5 – “The card game variant of big box board game Puerto Rico outshines its big brother in many respects.” Pocketgamer.co.uk: 8/10 – "Well built and easy to pick up, San Juan is an intriguing game of building and trade." Best10Apps.com Editor Picked by Best10Apps.com The exciting card game based on the award-winning board game Puerto Rico is finally available for iPhone and iPad. Experience the Spanish colonisation once again with San Juan. Puerto Rico is at its prime. But can the same be said of this beautiful island’s capital city? Take on the role of the governor, builder, producer, trader or councilor and bring the city wealth and prestige. Are you smart enough to build the most profitable production facilities? Can you outdo your competitors with the most important buildings? Each building, whether a palace, poorhouse, smithy or silver smelter have their advantages. Who will finally win the battle for supremacy in San Juan? Features: • Digital adaptation of the card game based on Puerto Rico. • Designed by Andreas Seyfarth. • Stand-alone game, can be played without having played Puerto Rico. • Interactive tutorial to make San Juan easier to play. • Play with up to three other players or computer opponents on one Device. • Discover new tactics and ways to become the ruler of San Juan! • No need to assemble: simply start the game to enter the colonial world! And best of all: no need to put away the game once you have finished playing.
    Information
    Seller:Ravensburger Verlag GmbH
    Genre:Card, Strategy
    Release:Aug 02, 2012
    Updated:Jun 19, 2020
    Version:2.6
    Size:139.8 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (6)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So, does it keep track of any sort of stats? Like win/loss or an ELO?

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The lack of async is a little disappointing, I'm more hyped for the Puerto Rico HD 1.1 update.

4. Still not out yet...false alarm.

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
  6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Not to be nitpicky, but just so it's clear...this is technically a card game based upon the Puerto Rico board game. This is not meant as a slight by any means. I instabought this. But much like the Lost Cities board game spawned a card game based on it, this is based in the world of Puerto Rico, but with differing mechanics. Be that as it may, I'm really looking forward to digging into this.

7. playpunk

playpunk Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Teacher, curator, author, artist
    San francisco
    Not for $7.99
    Cafe international gets my money this week I think.

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Speaking of Lost Cities, thecodingmonkeys (devs of carcassonne) were supposed to release the card version of Lost Cities in July :(

9. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    No asynchronous, no buy.

10. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    San Juan is a truly excellent card game.

11. veggieh8r

veggieh8r New Member

Jun 20, 2012
    8 bucks? It's free on Android....

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    You mean the non official clone, Condado? I don't really think game developers take the price of their clones into consideration...

13. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    And bought! A very good alternative to Puerto rico when time is on the short side or you want a lighter, but similar, experience.

14. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Cool, San Juan on iOS!
    $7.99, not cool. The physical card game is only $20 from Amazon, why is this so expensive? :confused:

15. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'll buy this. Hell, I buy almost anything Ravensburger. But $8 is getting up there. Hope this slope isn't slippery.

16. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Well the guy who programmed all the little things like UI, AI etc. want to pay his rent and buy food for the family ...

Really, I cannot hear all the complain about the price of iOS Games ... :cool:

17. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Actually I think if you put it like this, it's cheap. If instead you compare it to some other IOS card games it's expensive.

But bottom line is, if it's a great game with good solid AI then this has to represent decent value for money, surely?

Jamie

18. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    #18 justln, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    It's $7.99 for porting a boardgame where the rules, design, cards and mechanics have already been developed.

In comparison, Ticket to Ride is $1.99 and has Multiplayer as well as Singleplayer.
    But I digress, it might be cheap to you. I'm just saying $7.99 will deter many people from looking at this even if it's good.

19. Tyska

Tyska Active Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Wow, two very nice boardgames for iOS in one week! First Café International, then San Juan. Instabuy!

20. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    What, you mean the trend of developers charging entirely reasonable prices for their products instead of driving themselves out of the market trying to compete at the $1 price point? This is certainly a trend that should continue.

"Porting" in that sense implies that the developer just crammed a copy of the boardgame into a DVD drive/USB port and the game magically came into being. Physical copies of the cards may have existed, but none of the AI, UI, mechanics, artwork, sound effects, etc. existed in digital form before the developers spent time and money creating them. It's one thing to say the rules were already around in a paper gameplay manual, but another thing entirely to actually make those mechanics work in a video game adaptation.

Carcassonne is NZ$13.99 and has done exceedingly well.