Universal Guardian Force: Hearthstone meets XCOM

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TaylanK, Mar 16, 2016.

1. TaylanK

TaylanK Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Did I get your attention? :)

Hi everyone, I'm the lead designer on our upcoming game Guardian Force. It is a turn based squad tactics game with CCG mechanics and physics based combat. Core pillars are tactical variety and emergent gameplay.

The game world is based on the animated TV series Slugterra, a land below the earth's surface where sentient slugs are your live ammo and your companions.

It is coming out on March 24th iOS, for both iPhones and iPads.

Some screenshots below, and you can find a launch teaser trailer here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the first time I'm announcing a game here, so please let me know if you have any questions/feedback about the game. I'm a big fan of both Hearthstone and XCOM which is why we have borrowed elements from both games (CCG and mana progression from Hearthstone and tactical combat elements from XCOM, obvs) and tried to simplify them as much as I could, to make it a smooth intuitive experience on mobile.

Would people be interested in promo codes to play the game before launch? Would you like to hear more about specific parts of the game? I'll be happy to answer questions!

Cheers,
    Taylan

2. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Very much SO!

THat title absolutely caught my attention...and if the game delivers on that theme and game play color me hooked. Glad it isn't a tease for another far off 1 year down the line release either. Any beta or events/early access etc? If so, count me in!

Oh!!! lol..i didn't even see the rest of your post at the bottom of the page, yes please git mah promo codes to meh so I cans play asap! Thanks man.

Sid.

3. TaylanK

TaylanK Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Haha, okay I will send you a PM with the code once the game clears the review process on iOS, which shouldn't be too long.

Btw, I'm realizing the mention of Hearthstone may have been a bit misleading, as we are focusing on single player at the moment. That said, we have been supporting and adding features to our previous game for nearly four years now, so the launch offering is just the beginning. :)

4. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Would love a promo code. Looks promising. Can't wait to play it! Sweet combination of two great games.

5. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Nah, ur good.

My favorite thing about hearthstone are the single player raid modules like naxxrammas, black rock, etc...I wish they weren't so exp..cuz I barely care about the cards rather more care about playing a single player raid experience in card form...which is a feat I must say..to have even included special parts of raid boss fights into a single player card game..was awesome, I wish more CCG's would include some kind of single player campaign...that would have been a better trainer than just mock battles imp, but. I digress... I know what you are trying to convey with the hearthstone description.

6. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Could be an interesting combination of styles. Is this going to be free-to-play or premium?

7. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I want to play this right now ! Two of the best games in one ? Yes please !

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    We sure would be interested in codes to play before launch!! Is that possible? I'd love one, and I'm sure others would too!

Looks great. And another one that's very much more interested in single player these days anyway.

9. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Looks fun!

Will it be freemium or paid?

I would love an early access code.
    Thank you

10. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    wow, i love slugterra a lot. im looking forward to play this :D

11. dwincelowicz

dwincelowicz Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Security
    Sarasota, FL
    This looks like it has a lot of potential!

12. TaylanK

TaylanK Member

Mar 16, 2016
    First batch of promo codes sent!

Hello everyone! Thanks a lot for the interest. The game has cleared Apple's review so I was able to get some codes for you folks. Check your inbox if you requested one. If you did and don't see it there, I may have missed you so send me a PM to remind me.

Oh and the game is F2P, but all content is obtainable without paying anything. You'll just have to grind for it a bit. :)

Those who do get to play the game: let me know what you think!

Cheers
    Taylan

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #13 Talbs, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Thanks so much. I got my code now. Am at work but looking forward to giving this a go later.

So I gave it a go! Really grateful for the promo code to try early. The visuals are quite good, it's got a certain style to it. But I have to get this out of the way; unfortunately it wasn't my cup of tee. But! There will be others that do like it for sure. One thing that came firmly into my mind is that it's not really like XCom or hearthstone. Those aren't the best descriptors. If we're going to pin a game title to it, it's more similar to squids. So that's good news for those that enjoyed squids! There's "CCG" in it, but not quite to the core of hearthstone! It seems from what I played, to be fairly tactical. I actually got to a fight where it took me several attempts, and this was early one. There's definately some good tactics there is some praise I would give it and something that does float my boat. Disclaimer, I only played for maybe 20 to 30 minutes so, it's also likely it could go deep with the card mechanics.

Fans of squids and CCG rejoice! This is something for you to try IMO.

14. robotrigger

robotrigger Active Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Think I could get a code as well. I love the animation style and have been looking for a new game just like this to sink my teeth in!

15. TaylanK

TaylanK Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Hey Talbs,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! The CCG aspect of it is a slow burner for sure, it doesn't lay all its cards (pun intended) in front of you right out of the gate. We also tried to keep it rooted more in the tactical combat rather than the meta-heavy approach that Hearthstone has. But point taken: I'll be more cautious in the future with using XCOM and Hearthstone as references. :)

16. dwincelowicz

dwincelowicz Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Security
    Sarasota, FL
    I would love to be able to test this out. Thanks. :)

17. dragonx91

dragonx91 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Promo code

Hi if you have any promo code available please send them to me. I will try the game, the trailer seems awesome. thanks

18. TaylanK

TaylanK Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Alright, second batch of promo codes out now. Looking forward to your feedback. :)

19. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Cool game

I've played with this title for a bit (thank you for the promo code dev) and yes, as one member described above, it is not like Hearthstone meets XCOM. A bit like squids, but better to place as more like Auro (The Monster Bumping Adventure) with cards to perform actions, like shooting someone into the water. It runs smooth, and the animation is very nice. If you liked Auro, you will probably enjoy this.

20. bigghurt

bigghurt Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Is there any promo codes left I've played all the other slugterra games and enjoyed them. Would really like to play this one early. Really excited for it.