people usually look down on gameloft despite it's still the leading dev of IOS

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klarence, Mar 25, 2012.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Basically we're not going to change your mind Klarence. In your opening post you mention Tintin as a 'console quality' game ? I thought Tintin was really poor and hardly bothered with it. Might look decent but found it dull/boring.

Yes GTA has a great history, has 10 years worth of fans, whereas Rio to me is just another IAP type of game and a poor GTA clone sadly.

Perhaps to youngsters they do prefer Rio and think GTA is outdated ?

In years to come i'm sure you'll be in our position defending some favourite game from 5-10 years ago whereas some kid will be saying it looks terrible (Despite great gameplay) and will be defending the latest game.

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    #82 LOLavi, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    Yep he thinks console quality means that it looks like console graphics. Don't know about TinTin but it looked boring.

I'm a youngster(15) and back when GTA's were released, I wasn't allowed to play them, for a reason of course. Now that I'm playing GTA 3 on my iPod, I can see why people praise it. The gameplay is amazing. Hands-down beat open-world game I've ever played. I know I should care about graphics since I'm from the generation who cares about them so much, but what do graphics help when the game is boring ala G Rio? GTA is just purely fun.

3. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I deleted Ganstar Rio about and hour after I downloaded it. I hated it.

4. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    #84 klarence, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
    just no. once I get something better, I will accept it.
    I'm not a new gamer and back to 5 years or 10 years ago or just any year, I had my favourite games but I don't denfend them.
    Such as Age of Empire/ Red Alert/ some MMORPG and many arcade games.
    I'd played some football games on PS1 and it feels awkward even at that age. I played the Sonic Hedgydog game a few times, I hate that little thing running here and there.
    There were nothing I like in the FC/SFC other than Double Dragon and I lost my interest to it soon.
    There are some ture gems will not be buried by time, such as starcraft, it's still very playable and balanced and better than most other RTS. but I won't defend it. I won't play it any more.
    Classic not means better, let alone many so called classic feels awkward compared with new ones.
    I still watch Betty Boop sometimes, but I won't say it's better than new cartoons. Maybe it's better in some way and somehow, but nothing is not arugable.
    There are also new popular things I can not accept every year and I hate them, but I have to accept the truth is it's not my type other than my favourite is better. Such as Dota/ south park/ Call of Duty/ Ninetendo(this is not new) and Girlish Man Anime(oh no, this one is really bad, it makes me sick and I can never imagine some people love it.)
    In fact I hate any console and any platform to some extent , I just can't ignore the defects and to be a fanboy just beacause I paid for them or not, it's stupid. I'd gonna discard my playthings anyday when I find something better to replace it.
    But I like the console war, it's funny. I need to see any companies go to bankrupt at the end and fanboys cry over about it. It's not a strange interest, it's how age changes and fanboys submit to the reality. I'd ever hate how starcraft replace the popluar of Age of Empire 1 when I was a kid.
    But changes make things better and better.

5. Huge ass facepalm

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Eeeeeexaaactlyyy.

7. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Enough of this 'discussion' already. lol.... It is clear who are the real hardcore gamers and who the 'hardcore gamer of casual games' is.

8. I lost it right there lol.

9. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    After saying GangStar Rio is better than GTA, you shouldn't get to say anything. At least not anything to be taken seriously.

10. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    No shit. Lets all abandon this thread and just let it die before I permanently have a palm print impression on my face.

11. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    +1000000000000000
    Gameloft sucks the only reason anybody thinks there good is the reason iap is still strong for the wrong reasons. I don't know about the dark stalker or Zelda ripoff but the rest suck ass please gameloft stop.

12. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    #92 Greyskull, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    Well, they did make (past tense) some really great games, especially for the time they were released. Hero of Sparta is a pretty boring game, but it did show what even an ipod touch 2 (maybe even a 1) could do given limited hardware. They made fun games as well...I lost it due to having downloaded it in an account I lost, but there was a very competent turn-based strategy game (I forget the name but it's still on the appstore) from Gameloft. This was at a time when there were very few available...Battle for Westnoth, Uniwar (another game that got eaten by that account), etc. Let's Golf was a great game, and they had servicable soccer games. And that's not all...just what came to me off of the top of my head.

I think their problem might have been spending too much $$$ on development and oversaturating the market. New Gameloft games used to be a big deal...you got a lot of comments here about "smashing the buy button" every time a new Gameloft title was released. They often dominated the forums.

Premium never died. Look at Capcom. Gameloft thought they would be better off going the freemium route and couldn't compete...the freemium games that do the best are developed rapidly (and cheaply) to catch the current appstore fad, be it MMOB games, farmville clones, fake collectable card games, fake Pokemon clones (I call these fake because if you haven't realized, the gameplay rarely exceeds the depth of a single page Excel spreadsheet and nearly all outcomes are pre-determined, if cosmetically different), etc.

So they went "paymium" (I believe Gameloft actually coined that term) and don't seem to be doing much better. Maybe because the "pay" part is usually the same price, at least on release, as non-iap "premium" games. Oh well, I don't know if they are a publically traded company; if so, that's what you get for chasing ever increasing quarterly profits.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chillingo is next (though I think they are owned by EA, so it wouldn't be much of a loss to the parent company).

13. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Coined shmoined :p It's called paidmium and has been since before Gameloft become just another pathetic pusher of it.

14. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, I think they were the first publisher to use that term. I'll have to search through the TA archives, but I recall there being a bit of a bruhaha when they used that phrase.

15. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Bulxypix and chillingo are next. Point one games are coming out every week mostly clones not original like world of goo its puzzles with no depth or just something unspiring. Point 2 big mess ups like the infamous game from chillingo that messed up and why because games are rushed thanks to ea on that part but still and gamelofts game monster something I forgot but wouldn't load past a certain percent.

16. Chillingo is almost a full paymium or paidmium company now. Look at all of their recent games. Almost all have tons of inapps and are inapp encouraged. Sad to see, but guess that's the trend for now. Including screwing early adopters and dropping prices quickly or going free within a month.

Kind of miss the good old days of good premium titles with early adopter sales. But nowadays, I seem to get tons of apps at the one month mark for free or reduced price, so maybe it is not all that bad if you wait a bit.

17. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Yet devs been complaining about people wanting free games when they put it free anyway