Universal DEMONS' SCORE - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 18, 2012.

1. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Much of the whole game is different because of added areas.

2. ahmads25

ahmads25 New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Thanks for info.

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    After playing the game for three days, I gotta wholeheartedly agree with you on all counts. Spent some on the costumes, but in the end wished I didn't. You hit it on the head there! Deleted it.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Finished on all difficulty levels with only the original costume. I hate the voice of asmodius, LOL.

Anyways, I spent $7 for a mediocre music game with not so much variety in the music save boss fights. I still liked the gameplay and after spending time to finish all 3 difficulty levels available, im sure i got my $7 worth off it. Glad i didnt throw in more cash to unlock costumes as im done with the game. Im just going to play this a little bit more til a new space consuming game comes for me to replace it.

To be honest, despite the enjoyment i got from this game, i think this is still Square Enix's weakest iOS game release. Even 777 Deaths had so much more content and replayability than this one.

5. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I think it's a solid four-game although the pricing is questionable to say the least. That said, I have enjoyed playing through the game with different forms considering half the game's patterns are mandated by one's form and the other half, the boss fights, are done quite well insofar as variety goes. The personality of each form DOES differ quite a bit and it's entertaining how Serenity's dialogue switches in response to the other characters' staying the same aside from David's tunnel comments. It's also unusual to see an iOS game that not only features graphics beyond the PS2-level that also applies them to the cutscene philosophy rather than just use character portraits and text. I think that, in and of itself, somewhat justifies the price, since that investment isn't subjective. In contrast, Chaos Rings II basically runs on a PS2-like engine, but is scripted more like a PS1 game. It's a better game than Demons' Score, but they definitely cut corners.

I do think though, that the way the voices are used is a bit questionable. The male voices really seem bizarre coming out of Serenity. It's funny at first, but ultimately I'd have preferred if they'd either taken a simpler approach and just had one voice actress do different personalities resembling those of the demons--I think this would be the "sexiest" option--or gone the extra mile and used more actresses to be female versions of the male demons. Usually, with this sort of mechanic, the primary appeal is supposed to be eye-candy and the voices sort of mar that as humor is a secondary pursuit.

6. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    I have t bought any costumes for this one yet. Just the initial 7 dollars. But it keeps resetting my data and I can't chose what level I do in story mode. Anybody else have this problem up to a certain point and then just screwed over by square?

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Bought $15 worth of iaps because of the sale and i really love being able to switch music on the fly.

Didnt really find this week's releases to be interesting (except for a cuople titles) so i pooled my weekly ios budget into iaps.

Lovin Lilith's pacing, and the xp gain is huge. :)

8. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Yeah, Lilith is a good way to boost XP. This game got lost because of the IAP outrage, but what many people don't realize is how GOOD this game is. Honestly, Squeenix has come out with 3 stellar rhythm games...not cheap, but really good.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Well this one was made by Inis, the guys behind Elite Beat Agents, Gitaroo Man and some early beatmania titles, so it was a given that this will be awesome. To top it off, the same company also made Symphonica on the iOS.

Also, buying ALL IAP Unlockables is less than $20 (because of the sale) which is definitely a good price to get everything for a title from Square Enix.

In essence, that kinda makes it a $20 premium title, which is what everyone is going after.

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My most played game for the last couple days. Im enjoying using Astaroth, but she can get too difficult on hard mode. :)

11. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Fantastic game!
    Can anyone please help me? I'm starting hard level now. I have up to Astaroth but it seems all forms of Serenity( even the default version of her ) is sheer Hell to tap and swipe in the pre- hallway fight before Asmodeus! I can almost do it but her HP runs out:(
    Holy Sh!t are they kidding its hard..... Hello
    Either that or SE needs a meaningful update to automatically unlock them if a player makes it to hard! Looks like the price reduction on the last three demons are going to slip away before I get there if that's even possible.:)

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I started Hard with Astaroth and her beat is too fast :D

So i decided to play through easy and medium with Astaroth to get used to her patterns and the music.

Earlier today i just finished the hallway to asmodeus in hard with Astaroth but had to stop to jog. I kinda like Belial's beat too :)

All Rhythm games like this have patterns and need getting used to to persevere, like I did when i 5 starred almost all of Guitar Hero 1, 2 and 3's expert mode. :)

13. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    #93 Capricornman, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    Ok thanks for the tips!!:) I've been using default Serenity almost exclusively throughout easy and normal levels during the hallway fights but when it came to hard it kind of threw me but I can see its learnable. Pretty sure I've used Belial here and there in boss fights and your suggestion are most helpful!
    Must learn to trust the brains amazing ability to adapt and react. My left index finger after the first go of this game was mildly strained :) the price for battling with the devil!!
    By the way congrats on getting through the hallway of Asmodeus! And your Guitar Hero feats sound amazing!

14. Kronos31

Kronos31 New Member

Dec 23, 2012
    I recently completed Hard mode and now I am tempted to purchase the Satan costume for the final difficulty setting because the game has been a real blast! Does anyone has anything to share on the Satan difficulty mode? Like whether there are any new cut scenes/dialogue or maybe a different ending? (no spoilers please)

Also, any idea on how much the difficulty ramps up for Satan difficulty? I tried searching YouTube and NicoVideo but it seems like there are zero fan videos of this game. I am only afraid Satan difficulty might be way beyond my abilities if it turns out to be one of those "1 or 2 misses and you're dead" type of modes.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. :)

15. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Sadly, there is no Satan difficulty mode. Its just another coustume that comes with a new song (which is just a remix of serenity's theme).

16. Kronos31

Kronos31 New Member

Dec 23, 2012
    #96 Kronos31, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    Thanks a lot! I actually read from several gaming sites that the Satan IAP unlocked a new "Satan difficulty" mode. So that was all just a lie. :mad: I guess I'll probably go ahead and just unlock costumes for the songs that I like.

17. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Well I did buy the Satan outfit because its on sale. Because its the holidays I haven't played with the satan mode? I didn't know there wasn't a satan mode but I remember at the end of hard mode there was something mentioned about an " Expert" mode. But it will have to wait a bit after the holidays to confirm anything:)

18. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    I couldn't find a fourth difficulty in the Japanese version (where you can get all characters for purchase price.) Beat Satan on hard. Got golds on all songs. I never beat Satan with Satan (nor Serenity) that'd be tough lol but searching the web I can't find mention of an extra-hard difficulty.

The app description hints at something, though, maybe a secret ending.

19. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    #99 defred34, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    So, is there a Hell difficulty? You get to see the whole story in Hard mode? (Edit: Nevermind, saw the replies above that there is no Hell/Satan difficulty).

Just got this on Android (priced at $20 with no IAPs) and am at Normal difficulty, and it is actually good. Too bad the voices coming out of the other costumes are freaking MALE voices, so I stay with the initial costume.

20. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Actually many of the demon voices as you progress are female.....Great game though:)