Game Center vs OpenFeint (Pros and Cons)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by newshidstudios, Sep 7, 2010.

1. newshidstudios

newshidstudios Active Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Developer
    Maryland
    I currently have a game in development and I would like to know some pros and cons for Game Center and Openfeint. In my research it seems some of the big name developers are switching to game center i.e angry birds is getting rid of crystal for game center.

2. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    Game Center is currently under NDA. Public discussion is only allowed after the release of 4.1. Head over to the Apple Dev Center beta forum if you want some detailed information.

3. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to assume that once GameCenter is up and running, it would be the de facto standard, given that its built in and by Apple.

It's a question of timing for you. If your app is almost ready, then go with OpenFeint or leave out that functionality until later.

If your game is doing well with OpenFeint, you can always switch it to GC later.

4. jasoncitron

jasoncitron Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Founding Craftsman of Hammer & Chisel. Previously
    San Francisco
    OpenFeint will be Cross Platform (Android + iOS) and have easier to integrate advanced features (OpenFeint PlayTime, IM, Forums, Action Replays, etc.).

We'll also be 100% game center compatible so you can mix and match to take advantage of the best features on both.

:)

And you can email us (or me) directly if you have questions!

5. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    I think Apple have really dropped the ball with Game Center. It's majorly lacking in features.

Let's look at it solely from the social game perspective. Friend discovery isn't great (what happened to the Facebook link?). There's no mechanism for viral spread of games. As a game developer I certainly don't feel comfortable spamming people with "Push Notifications" for a social game. A "news feed" type thing of who of my friends are playing what and enjoying what is all it needs - but... nothing!

It was actually a pain in the ass to sign up my email addresses to it for discovery. I imagine a lot of people will bypass that step.

6. FlagellumDei

FlagellumDei Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Male
    Programmer
    I would vote for OpenFeint. It works on ALL iDevices, not just on the newer ones. There's no reason for Apple to drop support for older devices.

7. PhasicLabs

PhasicLabs Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Game Developer
    Isn't the upcoming update for OpenFeint going to integrate Game Center functionality into OpenFeint?

If that's the case, it seems to make sense to use OpenFeint (as it will also run on older iDevices, is easier to implement, and has more functionality).

8. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    So now that OpenFeint supports Game Center can anyone see a Con for using OpenFeint? Is there a fee or something?

I really want to incorporate leaderboards and achievements in my upcoming App and was planning on integrating Game Center on its own. Now that OpenFeint will support Game Center I can't really see a reason to "only" incorporate Game Center.

NOTE: I have no experience with Game Center or OpenFeint so maybe one is easier to code. Any devs out there with experience on this...let us know your feedback. Thanks!

9. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    All I can offer is a non-dev view....

As someone using an Ipod Touch and is often without internet access, I prefer Open Feint. You can load up achievements on Open Feint when you’re offline. You can also earn them offline, and when you get back to a wifi hotspot, those achievements will transfer back over online.

With Game Center, you can’t view achievements offline. When I completed some of them (e.g. in Carcassonne), a message indicated I completed them while offline, but when I went back online, the icons didn’t register as being completed. I will say, one nice thing GC has over OF is Game Center lets you view the list of achievements in portrait mode. Many of them have so little text that you don’t need the whole length of the screen in landscape mode.