Looking for some RPGs to play

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Primoz, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I'm looking for non-turn-based RPGs that are not JRPGs... Basically similar games to 9th dawn.

Any ideas?

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Tried Quadropus Rampage?

Ravensword 2, KOTOR, Spiral Ep1, Horn, Bard's Tale, Bit Dungeon, Solomon's Keep, ORC Vengeance... Not quite the 9th Dawn type of game, but are great realtime RPGs i could think of right now.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The closest thing to 9th Dawn is probably Pocket RPG, both have dual stick style controls.

Otherwise there are plenty of action RPGs. In addition to Exact-Pscience's worthy recommendations here are some more: CrimsonHeart, Stone of Life [Free], Master of Dungeon, Aurumn Blade [Free], Dragon Knight IV [Free edition or premium], Quadropus Rampage [Free]. These free ones are balanced freemium.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Aw... i skipped suggesting KRPGs, coz i thought i read KRPGs instead of JRPGs in Primoz's original post. :D

5. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Not really helpful so far, thanks anyway though.

I should also mention that the game should have an open world and it should not be in the style of "God of War - action style".

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Thats like the same thing to me... I'm not fond of those asian RPGs. Don't really like the art style and even less the generic stories. Your suggestions have been good, but I already know of those games, and they're not really what I'm looking for...

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I know it was already suggested but I think Bard's tale is really the closest thing to meeting your requirements that I can think of.

8. the fish

the fish Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Vienna
    Did you try wazhack? Could be something for you...it's kind of a side scrolling, looting, rogue like rpg game. I like it, a few characters are free, and you can play free to a certain level. If you like it you can pay to unlock the whole game.

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I agree iOS needs more open world traditional RPGs; 9th Dawn is revolutionary for iOS in that aspect.

It's likely you are familiar with many iOS roguelikes and those might be the closest comparison but probably not what you're looking for.

Also, it's first person perspective but it doesn't get much more open world than The Quest.
    Bard's Tale is a good suggestion.

10. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    It's not because of the first person, it's because it's turn based.
    Bards tale is a great game, but I already finished it.

So there is seriously no alternative to 9th Dawn? The controls don't have to be dual stick, it could be anything, as long as the game is not an Asian RPG and it's not turn based. Price and art style doesn't matter...

11. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Have you played any game of Maplestory series?? Ported from an MMORPG, which included RPG, platformer, real time action.