Can we separate the front page to Ipad vs Iphone/Ipod

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Citsade, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Citsade

Citsade Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    I love reading the front pages on game updates, reviews, and previews but now this Ipad fever (which I am not biting into until later iterations and lower prices) I can't seem to find what is Iphone stuff and I fear it is going to get more cluttered with time.

Is there a way to separate things a bit for convenience?

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, I think the "HOME" category should be for only iPhone and iPod Touch articles and they should add another category (along the top of the page) for iPad articles.
    I'm sure they'll do something about it.

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    You can click on the tags used for the articles which separate them by ipad and iphone.

Look: http://toucharcade.com/category/iphone-games/

That will only give you iPhone games now, and nothing iPad will show up in there (unless maybe of course it's an iphone AND ipad game in one)

4. Howard

Howard Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    #4 Howard, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2010
    Also, if you scroll down the home page and look on the right you will see links such as:

iPad (5)
    iPad Games (34)
    iPhone 3G S (11)
    iPhone games (1985)
    iPod games (8)
    iPod touch games (1962)
    News (369)

5. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    At the top of every article there are links:

[​IMG]

Click on those and everything will separate.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We went through the same thing when the 3GS launched. 3GS specific games never took over TouchArcade, I'm not sure why there is any reason to think the iPad would work out any different.

7. Citsade

Citsade Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Yes I see, that makes sense...

except that I had to scroll all the way down the page until I found an Iphone related article (Sims).

But that helps either way, thanks.

8. All-Eyez-On-Me

All-Eyez-On-Me Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    All of the iPad posts were actually kinda cool. I do not think they should be seperated unless the iPad becomes the more dominant gaming platform, or vice versa.

9. ZarkSeven

ZarkSeven New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I have the same issue, except I check site news mainly through a feed reader.

10. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    That was just another iPhone though; not very different than the other two generations (and the iPod Touch). This is an entirely new mobile device

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm kinda seeing this both ways. iPhone and iPad being on the same page makes sense in the same way that other sites have articles on both 360 and PS3 games, but on the other hand I'm incredibly lazy... so the more I see iPad articles on the front page the less likely I am to go there looking for something to read.

12. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I'm actually getting a bit annoyed with all of this "iPad Fever". I read this site, as well as others, for iPod Touch/iPhone articles. And this site's subtitle even states that it's an iPhone/iPod Touch site. I'm not saying that we can't have both, but seeing as the iPad isn't even out yet, and even for months more will care about the iPhone than the iPad, I don't see why there couldn't be a whole other section for the iPad. It'd greatly benefit the iPhone readers who just want to go on and read really quickly without having to scroll through a ton of iPad articles.

13. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    We hear you, but complaining about "iPad fever" on the night before the launch of the iPad with the simultaneous launch of 1000 iPad games is like complaining that CNN has too much presidential election coverage on the night before the election, and demanding that CNN split coverage into two stations: presidential elections and non-presidential election news.

arn

14. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Well said. I really don't have a problem with all the iPad talk, it's kinda exciting if you ask me (even though I'm not getting an iPad)

15. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I kinda just posted that out of annoyance of the tons of iPad updates as well. I just think that in the longrun, if the iPad does prove to be popular, an iPad section of the site would be extremely useful for all users, and would most likely pull in more hits from people looking for iPad info.

16. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

#16 ScottColbert, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    You had to scroll? How did you ever deal with suffering through that hardship? :rolleyes:

17. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    i've just come to the lounge to post exactly this thread....

i can understand the discussion previously with the 3gs and then deciding to keep everything together but the ipad is really a different device, not just a bit faster etc

can we at least split the home page into iphone and ipad that way everyone can choose.
    and while i agree at some point in the future many people may have an ipad, at the moment the number is going to be minimal.

18. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Well duh, the iPad has just come out. Wait another few weeks and it'll all be over.

19. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    #19 arn, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
    Here's what I suspect will happen.

I think once the launch hype dies down, I think we'll see a whole lot of universal or simultaneous releases (iPhone + iPad), lots of iPhone-only releases, and very few iPad-only releases.

How many iPad-only releases are there right now that aren't expected to make the jump to iPhone? Mirror's Edge, Pocket Legends, Warpgate are all coming iPhone. They just got held up due to iPad launch.

Geometry Wars, Sam and Max, that Small World Board game, perhaps, have no official plans for an iPhone port so far. Everything else is a HDified version of an iPhone game.

arn

20. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I can't imagine too many paid apps becoming universal because I'm already seeing a lot of developers charging for what's essentially the same app scaled up in resolution. Some apps are worth it because the dev took the time to redesign the interface or add new features but some don't even make sense! I paid for a wikipedia app for the iphone because it streamlines the interface to browse faster but on the iPad i'm 100 percent satisfied with just going to the real web page.