Dungeon Master

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by HanSolo, Jul 29, 2009.

1. HanSolo

HanSolo New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    hello everyone, i have been reading these forums for a long time now, im addicted to this site and i check it many times a day...i finally decided to register...to make a request...

Dungeon Master
    how come no devs are working on it or at least something similar? ( not the quest...nothing like it, still a great game )
    the iphone is perfect for dungeon master...eye of the beholder...

and also.. project firestart ( an older c 64 game )

thank you devs for listening, hurry and make those games for me!!! lol

2. I'd love to see a proper DM (and CSB) port on the iPhone. I know ports have been made, and there's a Windows remake available for it, so I suspect it's still possible to obtain a license with some degree of ease. I think it would be pretty awesome, frankly, though I'm sure there'd be a number of OMGWTF RETRO EWW dorks who'd complain about it.

3. Betty 2K1

Betty 2K1 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Dungeon Master would be perfect for the Iphone. I'd pay top money to see it.

I've never heard of Project Firestart, but I'd love to see Lords of Midnight (a C-64 and Spectrum game) as well. A great port was made for the gameboy advance, that would be great. Ah well one can only dream ........

Oh and while we are at it, Ultima 4 would be good too. :rolleyes:

4. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

I wonder where the FTL Software IP rights are these days. Dungeon Master was brilliant, the puzzles were devious, the atmosphere incredible and the spell system is unbeaten to this date.

5. Grouick

Grouick Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    I loved this game, full of awesome and fun to play.
    Chaos Strikes Back and Dungeon Master 2 were good but not as good as the first one.

Would love to see Eye of the Beholder, Bloodwych and some others.

6. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Dungeon Master was great back on the Atari ST... which is where my inspiration for Rogue Touch came from too. I've tossed around the idea of doing a Dungeon Master remake but unless I can be sure of the rights I won't waste my time. Anyone really know the legal status of this game right now? Any leads are appreciated ;)

Speaking of good old FTL games, remember SunDog? The free exploration space sim/adventure game? That was another one I'd love to tackle... same company too. :D

7. It's not clear who owns the rights, but it is currently supposed that Wayne Holder may still have the rights. He's currently a web systems architect for Northrop Grunman -- or at least he was as of 2005, which is the date of his last blog entry. There's no contact information for him -- however, Bruce Webster still maintains an active blog, though he left FTL in '84 after doing Sundog. Doug Bell apparently teaches classes at UC San Diego, but I can't seem to find him among the faculty. (I may not be searching in the right department though)

I'm thinking that it's not going to be easy though. Apparently a bloke named Steve Bovis was trying to garner the rights to make a version of Dungeon Master called Dungeon Master 3D a few years back, but had similar difficulties acquiring licensing rights.

Perhaps someone else's GoogleFu is better than mine.

8. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Your google-fu is pretty strong! I must admit it does not seem likely that I could acquire the rights based on my searches. I do see a number of free "tolerated" clones, including one that was a complete reverse-engineer of the ST 68000 machine code back into C++ sources that took 6 months to complete! :D

Porting that reverse-engineered clone of Dungeon Master would be pretty straightforward, just need to pay attention the size of touch points so it would be playabe... the ST's 320x200 resolution would be awkward, as it could only scale up by 50% if looking at landscape- you would end up with a letterboxed 480x300 but it would look fuzzy :(

The big problem is placing it in the App Store without the rights... it would likely not be tolerated like the free PC clones.