Games with compelling stories?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iReal, Jul 27, 2010.

1. iReal

iReal Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I'm looking for games with stories that actually make you continue to play the game. Great games that don't really get repetitive, always something new, and will make you want to finish it. We all know iphone games cause us to have a sense of ADD when it comes to playing them but I'm looking for games that make me want to finish them. :cool: I've only finished like 5 games if I can remember right. Phoenix Wright, Space Miner, and Chaos Rings (to an extent lmao) come to mind. Also I like many types of games but rpgs especially, although I don't like zenonia because of the chores etc. Any ideas? :(

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    phoenix wright
    gg no re.

./end

-------------

darn it didnt finish reading post sorry.

hmmm lets see, id say across age, best action rpg imo.
    It's the only one that doesnt involve grinding and generic quests.
    Everything is new and the story is the best and most original.

3. iReal

iReal Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Lmao believe me, I love phoenix wright. Probably my favorite game on the iphone.

4. justlegos

justlegos Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Student/Cart Pusher
    Iowa
    Agreed, Across Age's story is great, but I can't stand the 8 bit music, lol

5. iReal

iReal Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Will definitely have to look more into across age, and I've never heard of infinity project but I have to look at that now too.

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    BIA2 has a pretty good story.

7. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    YESSSSSSSS! Your soul thanks you!

Compelling stories. In an iPod game. Yeah I don't know very many.
    Red Conquest's story was pretty good, I guess
    Ummm yeah, that's bout it

8. iReal

iReal Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Well since the game list is limiting, not only compelling stories, but games that just make you want to continue as well.

9. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Battle for wesnoth. It has many stories and it has great storylines

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    yeah!

but yeah, be sure to check out AA

11. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I suggest the point-and-click adventure games. The Broken Sword is a great, great game and The Secret of Monkey Island and Beneath a Steel Sky aren't far behind. All 3 are brilliantly written and also have excellent voice-acting.

12. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    GTA
    Defender Chronicles
    Pro Zombie Soccer (short, but made me want to keep playing)

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    oh right!
    cant believe i forgot these, these def have the best stories.

I suggest broken sword as the best one, followed by beneath a steel sky.

14. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    I always like to mention FF1 on these lists, but I don't know if it counts as 'compelling to finish the game' since all the plot is in the big reveal before the final battle :). It is a good plot twist once you wrap you head around it though.

15. Crazy_Possum

Crazy_Possum Well-Known Member

The upcoming Epic Win should have a compelling enough story to keep most people playing.;)

16. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Hector: Badge of Carnage (compelling in that it is really funny, you'll be interested through the whole game)

Space Miner: Space Ore Bust

GTA: Chinatown Wars

17. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Chaos Ring hands down! A lot of people say it sucks, but they never cleared the game 100% (which is the only way to get the whole story), and trust me this game is very compelling :)

18. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    #18 Somerandomdude, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    I'm definitely sending you a friend request after a post that true and that amazing.

And I also enjoyed the story in Chaos Rings. The overall concept of most of the game is pretty generic, although well done, but it's the character interaction and back stories that made the game.

TNA Wrestling was a great one too, but it got pulled for contract reasons. If there's a way that you can play it, though, definitely do so.

I was a good ways into Hybrid: Eternal Whisper (although in comparison to how much I had left I assume, I was at the beginning), and it was getting pretty good. It's a pretty fun game anyway, so I definitely recommend getting that at some point.

From what I hear, Grokion supposedly has a decent storyline. I haven't gotten far at all, but I hear that it gets pretty good.

Other than that, all I can say is to just hold out for Secret of Mana and War of the Lions to be ported and hope that Square ports Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV.

EDIT: Wow... it seems I've forgotten some of my personal favorites! The point-and-click adventures by Revolution and the Monkey Island games are all amazing. Monkey Island is hands-down my favorite point-and-click series (anyone else waiting for that hinted-at 5th game?), and the humor and overall plot are really compelling. Broken Sword has the second best storyline on the iPhone (Phoenix Wright takes the number one spot, obviously), and their other game Beneath a Steel Sky is really intriguing up until the extremely disappointing ending.

19. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    Across Age
    The Quest
    Beneath A Steel Sky

20. iReal

iReal Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    This thread is giving me several different options. Thanks people. PZS got repetitive to me but it might just be me. and I never thought to look at the point and click games. Who knows might find another favorite.