Update while featured?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by eJayStudios, May 6, 2010.

1. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Hi,

this is seriously stupid question, but I'm afraid to touch anything while being featured.

Anyway, if my update will be finally approved is it better to wait till featured thing ends?

Also, just updating game description while being featured shouldn't be a problem?

Please don't laugh! Ah, what the heck, laugh as much as you want. :D

2. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

I'm sure there was a thread on this recently but my brief search failed to locate it sorry. I think peoples opinions were pretty much split. I think it comes down to your faith in the app store system ;) Theoretically you should be able to release an update while being featured without any issues. Unfortunately the app store doesn't always work how it is theoretically supposed to...

However it sounds like the update is already in review? If this is the case the only way to put it off would be to cancel the submission entirely.

3. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    thanks PixelthisMike, it is still waiting for review (submitted Sunday). When update is ready, is it posted automatically or you as developer can control when to make it available?

Lol @Mondae! :D

5. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

It will be automatically available once approved. If you set the release date of the update to a specific date in the future your app will be removed from the app store until that date, which is obviously the last thing you would want right now!

Unless the system has changed, can anyone verify this is still how it works?

6. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    No, I didn't even set the date for update, currently it shows 24 of April.

Would really love to know if it is safe to leave it or better reject binary now.

Added few little changes in update, would be nice if it could go trough while app is featured without affecting it.

7. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

You can update while you're being featured. We did with one of our games and it was Ok.

8. ReignDesign

ReignDesign Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Pig Rush is featured right now in Highly Addictive Games, and we've just submitted an update. I think as long as you don't drastically change the gameplay dynamics or introduce something not fully tested, it's fine.

You can update description and screenshots at any time. Doesn't affect anything as far as being featured goes.

9. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    thanks guys, I feel better now! :)

10. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I've been watching Starpagga (by an old friend of mine) for the last few days. It's been featured and stayed featured even though yesterday it was updated to a universal app. The price has also been dropped to free temporarily and even that didn't trigger losing the feature.

11. Hermanator

Hermanator Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    You can update the game description and also screenshots whenever you want.

Oops, looks like ReignDesign beat me to it

12. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    Does anyone know if changing category while featured can potentially remove app from this list?

I want to move secondary category from Entertainment to Educational, but I'm afraid of loosing featured status.

13. meanstreak

meanstreak Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Independent game designer
    Toronto
    I don't know for sure, but I don't think you'd loose featured status by changing categories, I'm pretty sure Apple manually adds apps to the featured lists so this shouldn't trigger it to be automatically removed.

But I suspect that if you change categories, you'd start at the bottom ranks of that new category.

14. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

You can change categories while featured. We've done it and you don't lose you featured status and you definitely don't start from the bottom, you'll get relatively the same position (I mean relative to other games, the actual position can be higher or lower, depending on where you're moving from/to)