5 star ratings/reviews keep the updates coming!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by amichail, Jun 19, 2010.

1. amichail

amichail Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Some apps mention something like this (e.g., Doodle Jump) in their update descriptions.

How do you react to it? Is it insulting? Do you submit a 5 star rating/review for the update if you like the game?

I've been thinking of saying something like this for DropZap updates, but perhaps it might not be a good match for most people who like DropZap.

2. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    I in general do find it when they do that I lose respect for them and I then pull off a epic facepalm. Do they really need to beg people for 5 star ratings? Why not make a game that is deserving 5 star ratings from everyone? Phoenix Wright and LASW is perfect examples that if made well they will get 99% 5 star ratings because they deserve it without the need for mindless begging.

I may just start giving 1 star ratings to games that begs for 5 stars from the consumer because that's just sad.

3. highlyrefinedpirate

highlyrefinedpirate Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    I wouldn't go that far, because sometimes the games really are deserving of 5 stars, but I have never left a 5 star review because the dev begged me too.

4. iPhonescene

iPhonescene Member

Jun 19, 2010
    Well I think that DoodleJump id doing all right with that slogan!

They were the first one who used it, and it is quite a slogan for "DoodleJump"!

All the other who are using it: Uargh! Hate it!

5. hhhh

hhhh Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    United States
    How about we ignore what the developer posts and give the app the rating it deserves?

6. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    why does it matter? You can leave whatever rating you want. nobody gets hurts or dies. apparently we live in a world where people find everything insulting.

7. wmcwmc

wmcwmc Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Sumwhere
    The reason that this works for Doodle Jump is because Doodle Jump has "frequent" updates with lots of content; same goes with All in 1 GameBox

8. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    You deserve an Award. +1 :)

9. RonBurgundy

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    I don't get insulted by it, its just really pathetic. It reminds me of the people who come into my work making a scene in a attempt to get things discounted. Most likely they get paid a lot more than I do but when I go buy things I don't get down on my hands and knees and kiss their feet to try to shave off $3.

Id sooner start cutting off my man parts before I reduce myself to their level.

10. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

I think it's ridiculous. They're basically saying "if you didn't like the game, give it 5 stars so we'll update it and maybe make it good enough for you".

It's disgusting.

11. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

For me, I have never seen a game deserving a five star rating, that implies a perfect game and I have not ever seen or played one.

Have played several that come close though.

So it is a bit funny and sad that developers openly make such a request.

David

12. highlyrefinedpirate

highlyrefinedpirate Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    I would like to recommend Phoenix Wright to you.

13. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Try space miner. I have made a legitimate attempt, but I have never found a single flaw with it

14. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    #14 Harpgliss, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
    Hi,

Thanks for the recommendations but neither game really interest me.

Found lots of four star apps but I just do not see giving five stars to an app or game, just my opinion.

Now, if you want to gift me either game, I would give them a try but I see the odds of that rather slim though.

David

15. KDR_11k

KDR_11k Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    I think it's just supposed to encourage those who think of it as a 5 star game but CBA to rate it.

On the other hand it seems giving 1 star votes makes devs delete, rename and reupload games...

16. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Agreed. I think it's meant as a reminder for those who really like the game to help spread the word; to that game's benefit.

Also, what they're saying is the truth. Apps with higher ratings generally get more attention from potential buyers, thus providing the developers with more income, thus encouraging them to continue adding to the product rather than shifting their attention to a new game. Highly-rated, profitable games prompt the developer to update and support those money-makers. (Gameloft excluded.)

I do admit that it's a foolish thing to say if you have a game that isn't getting and does not deserve five-star reviews.
    But at least it's a somewhat logical statement, rather than just a desperate plea. They're not saying, "Please give us a five star rating." They're simply stating a fact.

17. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

yep.
    +1

18. RonBurgundy

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    QFT

I have seen reviews people made for a game that had nothing but bad things to say about the game but gave it 5 stars in hopes it will get updated to fix the problems...

Its immoral and degrading not only for the game/dev but for the reviewer too as well. And another thing that grinds my gears is when a dev hands out promo codes and then ask for 5 star reviews on said game...

19. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    I think 5 stars means your highest recommendation. Not perfection. BUT, Ratings are objective....

20. loewenherz

loewenherz Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I never saw it that way...
    I thought it just meant something along the lines of "thank you for your 5-star reviews, they keep us motivated to continue updating the game"