The "add pages" glitch

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by VoodooVyper, Sep 25, 2009.

1. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I searched and didn't find a thread relating to my problem, so I shall make this one.

As some of you may know, there is a glitch to add more pages to your Touch/iPhone. I will briefly describe it for those who don't know:

Bring the "Voice Recorder" app to your last page, make sure it's the last app (bottom right) on that page. Make sure your first page is full. Drag an icon from the second last page to the last page to push the "Voice Recorder" into the 'twilight zone'. Restart iPod and you now have another page. Rinse wash repeat. (Requires >3.0)

My problem is with the new iTunes. When having the iPod plugged in, you can access the Applications tab for your iPod. With older iTunes, you were presented with a checklist of what apps you wanted to show up. With the new iTunes, you still have this list, but you also have a visual representation of the order the apps will show up on whichever page. Since the iPod has a standard 11 pages, only 11 pages will show on this, even if you look at it while your iPod has 20 pages. Un/checking apps in this page will add/remove them from your iPod. But once you click apply and sync, it not only syncs what game you want added or taken off, but it will also sync the page layouts shown in the visual, meaning that all the pages you added will be gone and your games will be sent to the twilight zone.

Is there a way to avoid this? An alternative method of adding games to your iPod that you already purchased? Redownloading on the iPod itself doesn't work. After you sync again, it gets removed since it's unchecked in the app list.

2. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Not one person out of the thousand+ people on this forum have had this problem? Cripes.

3. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Never saw this and yeah I was pissed off that the new OS or itunes(whichever) took off my extra pages

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #4 LordGek, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
    I hear your pain and, so far, the only way I've found to avoid the little Apple Stormtroopers from knocking out all of my extra pages is to do syncs without add/deleting anything from the new Application tab of the Sync.

Wait a second! You realize that all of your games are still right where you left them, right? Once you add pages back all of your previously loaded games WILL reappear only now all alphabetized (forget your clever previous groupings). So while it will mean a million re-boots to build back whatever you had, no games or, even more important, game data (save, scores, etc.) will be effected. Truth be told with the new search being able to see all of the icons is no longer that important but my biggest reason for needing this is I KNOW I'd forget all about many of my old faves if I could no longer see their icons (or at least forget their names).

Is Apple waiting for OS 4 to simply allow us to add more pages or, GOD FORBID, folders? :rolleyes:

5. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    we can only hope lord gek...I gave up on extra pages...god knows how many games I am missing out on that I don't remember buying

6. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    #6 PhagoCychotic, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
    I have the same problem VoodooVyper, but I have an ADDITIONAL problem along with it. I had 30+ pages of apps on my iPhone. Randomly my phone would get stuck on the never-ending restart cycle, forcing me to restore on iTunes and lose every thing. This occured several times and I believe this was caused by creating the extra pages.

So I know what hidden apps I have, I am in the process of creating a note listing all my hidden apps. I am also considering jailbreaking since it has folder options.

7. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    30 pages?!?!?! Jeez! How can you afford that?

8. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    ^LoL I have a state job with an income that hasn't been furloughed yet. I'll slow down when that happens :p

9. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    This has nothing to do with the new iTunes, it's the new OS 3.1
    It's this exact reason that I've not upgraded my devices. I wish apple would eventually allow extra pages, since already there are games I can't play (flight deck, canabalt) because of the OS.

10. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I really hate the new os and the new itunes, wish I hadn't upgraded.

All the features I liked were taken and nothing really benefits me(so far) with the new OS.

while the new itunes is bugged for me still as sometimes it is not responsive and when I go for a new page, such as clicking a game to look at its page, its overlaps part of the page where I cant even go to the hope page and the only way to solve it is to close itunes

11. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    havent had those probs..but im holding out on upgrading my itouch to 3.1..however i did upgrade my itunes..seems like it just crashes more now..

12. Squeaker

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I find my new iTunes faster and more stable. But they did take away some features I like.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I contend this has EVERYTHING to do with the new iTunes 9 feature of being able to arrange your palmtop icons on the device. It actually makes sense too, if Apple doesn't acknowledge more than the 11 pages, if it is going to match your arranged layout in iTunes it will not cover more than the 11 standard pages. I have OS 3.1 and can still create extra pages just like I could in OS 3.0 and the ONLY THING that screws this up is accessing the Applications tab of the Sync Screen. As long as I sync without touching the Applications tab I can continue to have all of my extra pages.

Also, again, remember that not being able to SEE a game doesn't even mean it's not there. As far as I can tell you can load as many games as your device has physical space for but you'll only SEE 11 pages (more if you work this glitch but I'm willing to believe, add to many of these pages and you might cause unforeseen errors). You can access ALL of the games you have loaded via Search even if there is no visible palmtop icon. Losing site of the icon also doesn't mean anything will happen to your game data either (saved games, highscores, unlocked content, achievements, etc.).

I'm thinking more and more I might just accept this limitation making sure my HOT games are in the initial 11 pages and allow my "want to hang onto but don't play very often" in the weird limbo.

14. Squeaker

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I have the new iTunes 9 but not the new OS 3.1 so I can still sync, no problem with extra pages. That's the only reason I'm not upgrading my OS. I like syncing and managing through the applications tab so I can't see anyway around it. I know the apps will still be on the device but I hate not seeing them. With 16 pages on each device how can I remember all of them without the icons?!

15. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    I have 3.1.1 but not iTunes 9, do you think this glitch would work for me? or would it crash and burn? Cuz I need a LOT more pages...

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay so you're saying you can even arrange the icons for the 11 visible pages in iTunes 9 and it DOES NOT make you extra pages disappear the once you sync?

17. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Well once I installed the new itunes...the instant I synced a new game my pages dissapeared

18. Squeaker

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    No, just that without OS 3.1 the arranging apps feature in iTunes 9 is not available.

19. Squeaker

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Ok so it seems you need to upgrade both iTunes and device to get the new arrange apps feature. Bother Apple, why do they HAVE to limit pages, if they do at least allow for 20.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Arrange Apps feature? What is that?

And isn't there any other chance to add permanent pages without jailbreaking?