Internationalization for Theseus

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jasonf, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jasonf

jasonf Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    #1 jasonf, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    Edit: Someone from the forum has already done a Spanish translation - thanks!

Hello everyone,

I'm the developer for Theseus (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292035008&mt=8)

I'm interested in translating my text into other languages (currently only English is supported).

The text is mostly one-word labels (like "menu", "wait", "undo", etc). There are four text streams for the tutorial levels, and one text stream for the info page. And there are a few paragraphs to explain settings. I think it would take approximately 30 minutes to translate for someone who is both fluent and a good typist.

Please PM me if you are interested in translating, and I will send you the strings file. Once complete, I can repay you with a promo code for Theseus :)

Regards,
    Jason

2. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    You'll be lucky to get away paying with a promo code, people generally would charge a lot more.

Also, I think the codes can only be used in the US.

3. DoubleV LTD

DoubleV LTD Member

Oct 12, 2008
    That's a bit longer than 30 minutes, unless you don't want a crap quality translation. I think it's better to invest and use a professional service, otherwise leave it like this and use the English version for the customers abroad.

4. ElProfe

ElProfe Member

Dec 15, 2008
    I could help if you want to translate your game to Spanish. I already have your game, but we can work something out for "payment"; we can decide in pm. If it's only 30 minutes or less, I don't think there is any need to pay any money for it. I'm helping with the translation of another game right now, but I think I can squeeze yours in between since yours isn't long.

5. Send me the file and I'll get it translated into Japanese for you. Asked back in October but think you said you didn't have strings file ready at the time.

6. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

#6 strawdog, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
    How many words in total? Like you we had very little text for our game Turbo Duck (menus, some pre-level text and instructions screens) and it was pretty cheap even using a professional localisation company to localise into FIGS. Frankly I would recommend doing a proper job or not doing it at all. A bad localisation will put people off. - I think we paid something like 10 pence (UK) per word.

The most important thing with localisation is to make sure you clearly explain the context in which a word/phrase is used.

7. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    according to you.
    A professional service is always the best. There are many solutions and some companies are offering a service focused on the app store applications. DYS translations and HUIG (don't remember their name so well) do that for reasonable prices.

8. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

I don't see where you get that from. What I actually said was "Frankly I would recommend doing a proper job or not doing it at all." Proper doesn't necessarily entail commercial. I would avoid getting a French Canadian to do your French language translation or someone whose family moved from Germany to the US when they were 7 years old to do your German. Use current local native speakers to get the best translations.