Universal Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Hah I don't think the iPad3 could handle the current Phoenix HD with all the assets on 'native' reso. We'll try though ;)

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    wow! Hearing that makes me want to see what you guys see on your setups! =oD

**can picture it now... **

6 82 inch dlp hdtvs all stacked next to and on top of eachother inside a home theatre like setup w/ an SS 380 system hooked up, and a spiffy chair that plugs into your skull so you can control the ships with your brain... =oD

3. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    in first person mode...?

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    haha... I guess, if they could get the full over/under graphics, physics, and controls just right... =oP

5. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Doesn't the 4S handle it though?

(Yes I'm a bit confused)

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    iPad 3 is supposed to have retina in addition to its already higher resolution display, so it would have much higher resolution than any current iOS device. Many are wondering if the hardware will be able to run intense games at full iPad 3 resolution.

7. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Considering how difficult it is for most laptops to drive games at native resolution of 1366 x 768, I hope ipad3's GPU can handle native retina display resolution AND still have adequate battery life AND run cool enough.

8. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Ahh thank you for the information.

So in theory 4S > iPad 3

(for a little at least)

9. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    #529 RCranium666, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

Ipad3 runs Phoenix hd perfectly. In fact, the game has been harder since I started playing on it. Maybe the additional effects are just distracting me. I really have to compliment you guys on the detail of your ship models. They blow away all other shmups models, including DDP hd and shogun which are my other favorite shmups. I'd like to pm you on what tools you used to develop your game.

10. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Maybe upgrade textures for the new iPad? :D it runs beautifully on my new one.

11. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    @RCranium666: Thanks! Well it depends where you're coming from, but it should look nearly the same as on the iPad2 (which is amazing, if I may be so bold!). No need to pm me for that, I will post it right here!
    * I do all the modeling in Blender. We use it basically because it is open souce and we are just a tiny 2-man indie shop :D Prior to Firi Games I hadn't done any art, so I never worked with software like Maya and Max (only directed people who used it ;) )
    * For all post-processing and gui elements etc I use Pixelmator. It's a very lightweight photoshop-like app. It became very popular since the launch of the App Store. I use this since 2009 as well, it's not as good as photoshop, but gets most of the jobs done :)

If you have any development/software related questions, just shoot! If you want to see some behind the scenes stuff, just ask what you want to see, I will see if it's possible.

The 3rd gen iPad is not available in the Netherlands yet, but we're getting it as soon as it is (should be end of the week). We'll have a look if we can do something with that insane resolution :)

12. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

That'd be great! It looks good already but i can already see what a higher resolution would look like and it would be awesome ;)

13. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    blender rules. :D

14. RCranium666

May 28, 2010
    #534 RCranium666, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
    Thanks! I'm going to try my hand at games and app development for ios devices and and have been really inspired by what a small operation can do.;) Do you program in c#? You're using macs I'm assuming; what are their specs? Physics, collision effects, particle effects; what would be a good introduction for these from a programming and development standpoint? I've done some programming in the past and come from a math/physics background.

I was looking at the leader boards and there are several scores over a billion. Are they for real? 80 million is the level below those scores.

Tia,

15. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    #535 Selachii, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
    Many cheaters try to get their scores on the boards, but we purge them without mercy :) The 60mil score is the highest I think.

The Flare engine and Phoenix HD (and everything we do) is entirely in C++. (Obviously we use Objective C where needed.) We started on mbp's in 2009, but moved to iMacs in that same year (lowest spec, but we added extra RAM). Last october we got new iMacs (27"), the 'new' xcode can devour ram, so I can recommend maxing that out (it's cheap in stores and easy to install yourself).
    A math background is good, if you are new to the entire thing I would start with some opengl tutorials!

16. RCranium666

May 28, 2010
    Thanks for all the info! Developing your own engine is awesome. Playing Phoenix HD on the ipad3 makes it like a new game. It's tougher lol. I'm playing @ 1* again because the the bullets are slower but more plentiful and they look so pretty. The colors especially jump out at you. I've played the game on iPhone 3G (non HD) and iphone4, ipad1 and ipad3. Will you be developing for android or windows phone? I'd like to play on the galaxy note. ;)

17. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    *Correction*, i said C#, but of course meant Objective C, for the iPhone API's.

Hah well on 1* it will be hard to break an old high score that was set on more stars :) Can't wait to see the colors pop on the iPad 3!

We will not be releasing it on Android or Windows Phone anytime soon. There are multiple reasons for that, which I think I already went into a couple of times :>

18. take

take Active Member

Jan 1, 2012
    #538 take, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
    grats on making an awesome game. i loved games like 1943, r-type, raiden trad, and u.n. squadron growing up, but i've never really been too attracted to 'strict' bullet-hell shooters [take cave's titles for example], but the look and feel of this game drew me in, and i proudly bought into the IAP for the ships and leaderboard access. i'm rapidly climbing the charts in osaka, so look out!!

any chance for future updates with new enemy types or player ships?? i'd love to hear about any future content you have coming.

19. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Thanks, happy you like it! We hear from a lot of players they like Phoenix even though they "never liked bullet hell" games. It was one of the main reasons to make it free, so everyone can try!

Yes
    (I will be posting info when we get closer to finishing it, this will take some time though :) )

20. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    Game runs great on new ipad3 however with the ipad speaker havent tried head phones i notice some sound distortion its only this game the sound is alot louder that could be it but you can hear like staticy type of sound... Otherwise the game still kicks ass