Are there any one touch platformers out there? (not Canabalts)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tinyBuild, Aug 16, 2012.

1. tinyBuild

tinyBuild Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    #1 tinyBuild, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    By one touch platformers I mean where you have to touch anywhere so that stuff happens

The obvious suspects are runners like Canabalt where you just control the timing of your jump

But are there any other mechanics?

Doing some marketing research, trying to find similar games if there are any to our upcoming Rbots game:

What we have is that you touch anywhere to activate magnets. And then it becomes still a timing game, but you can control your momentum and direction. Then a hardcore mode where you have to touch each magnet individually to activate it.

-> it's now out at http://itunes.apple.com/app/rbots/id545961104

Does anyone know other mechanics so we don't sound arrogant in marketing messages?

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #2 Exact-Psience, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    Very clever. It looks like a runner, but the things that make your character run can be turned on or off to make him do the actions in the game, in effect giving it a platformer feel.

The only one-touch runners i consider to be platformers as well are Zombie Parkour Runner and Gravity Guy, but those arent close to RBots in terms of the platformer part.

RBots looks good and it is very interesting indeed.

EDIT: I looked for RBots on the appstore but it isnt out yet? Also i noticed on the video that the video itself was not out to the public yet, but it says on the video "now on the appstore". Also, since we're touching different magnets, im not sure if that still counts as one-touch. I thought one-touch was used to mean touch-anywhere.

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Chop Chop Ninja is a great one with tap controls but your seems to be quite a different experience. Good luck.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Pig Rush is pretty good. The difficulty curves up a bit too fast for me but it's really fun regardless.

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I deleted it from my device due to to space issues (like the fact that it keeps expanding as you progress). But isn't Mega Run one touch? It's a runner, but definately has more platforming characteristics than others in the genre.

6. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Project 83113?

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    yeah... Mega Run is one-touch and one of the more platformy runners like Zombie Parkour Runner and Gravity Guy, but Gravity Guy still is pretty unique too.

Anyways, im sure RBots will be instabuy for me. I like how the game looks and how it plays so yeah... Will buy it when it comes out.

8. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Chillingo has a one touch platformer coming out next week. It's called One Tap Hero.

They published another one touch platformer called 'This Could Hurt'.

I enjoy 'This Could Hurt' and will definitely be picking up 'One Tap Hero'.

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
  10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Same here. Could you give us a timeframe of when it might be out, tinyBuild?

11. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #11 Darth Ronfar, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    Yes, there is one that just came out and is suppose to be very good, its called Sunshine. link - [thread]147273[/thread]

Although, it looks a lot diffent than the one in your vid.Looks like that game you can press anywhere which is different from your's requiring taping certain areas. However, I think I remember playing sumthing similar to that although I can't think of anything off the top of my head. (Looks good)

12. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    ^ Best example I can think of as well.

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Great game, but it's more like a swipe guesture type more than one touch.

14. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Bitless is the very definition if what I would call a one-touch platformer.

15. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I agree, as well as chocorun. Maybe even gravity hook and gravity guy? Both one touch, with gravity hook platforming up instead of the normal side scroller

16. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Hes not talking about 1 touch Platformers but Platformers that require touching in different spots to control things rather than pushin to just jump I guess.

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Bitless - awesome game, amazing game, you must get it game. :p

18. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Look out for One Tap Hero next week. :)

19. Iphoneapps

Iphoneapps Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Germany
    Try 1-bit Ninja. Awesome platformer with easy one touch controls and badly hard difficult curve.

The ultimative challenge

20. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Orbit Luna has simple one touch game mechanics: the thrust direction of a lunar orbiter follows the position of your finger. It has a simple enough interface and missions but with gravity and inertia in the mix, it gets challenging and got me hooked for a while.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=124793