How bad is it to launch with versus mode only?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by aviadbd, Apr 28, 2011.

1. aviadbd

aviadbd Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    #1 aviadbd, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    Hey people,

I'm working on a game that is essentially a board game on the iOS platform. It's not your average checkers, so AI can be quite complex and at first launch, I thought of keeping the game-play at versus mode only.

That means playing via Bluetooth, Bump or Game Center - but not on your own against your A4 chip.

I know this is bad, but How bad?

(Cross-posted to BGG)

2. thisissudoku

thisissudoku Active Member

Mar 5, 2011
    It's funny, I have the same question before starting to develop my next game. Let's see what devs and players think about it.

3. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    I'd say it's not really all that bad. Look at Disc Drivin and Words With Friends. Make sure you have an outstanding multiplayer experience, and make sure you have a free version of the game to build up the community of players, and you could be good.

Also, make sure you are reaching out to the guys in the boardgamegeek forums and community for their support and suggestions. Those are the kind of players who will give you the best feedback on the gaming experience.

Heck, it's got me interested! Got anymore details?

4. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I personally believe it's either AI or global multiplayer. Wifi/Bluetooth is almost pointless I think as not that many players have friends around waiting to play with them.

Global matchmaking with GameCenter or your own solution OTOH can be pretty popular.

Whatever you do make sure that your game:

- Has birds
    - There is 3 stars to collect for each level
    - Has more birds.

Profit! :D

5. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Heey , that's how my next game will be! How did you know:)?The only difference is that in my game you slingshot birds on hills made of ice!

6. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    Since the target audience is board gamers, is it ok to assume they might Will have people they know who they meet with for board gaming, and could meet for this as well? I'm actually asking if anyone's experience shows this kind market acts differently?

Thanks,
    Aviad.

7. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

I agree with eJayStudios, you have to make sure that people can connect to people wherever they are. Game Center would probably be your best bet. And free is a must to build up the player base, nothing worse than buying a game that no one plays.

8. jclardy

jclardy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I'd say as long as there is some kind of free version it will be alright.

Without a free version the first players to buy the game will be pretty bummed when they can't make a match (Unless your game gets super popular off the bat.)

9. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    I would say under most circumstances using Game Center for matchmaking would be fine.

The only scenario that might be annoying is if a new player wants to familiarize themselves with the game first and get better before playing online and potentially lowering their rank.

10. thisissudoku

thisissudoku Active Member

Mar 5, 2011
    #10 thisissudoku, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks for your tips. I'm writing all this down. Free is a must and the boardgeekgame community seems to be pretty active too. So it is a must in order to get feedback to improve the gaming experience.

This is interesting too. I haven't had thought about it. What if you have a special lobby for players who haven't played the game more than let's say 5 times? In parallel there will be beginners, average and advanced players lobbies according to their ranking. Or maybe giving the player the chance to play a friendly match, without ranking points involved.

11. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    I see your point, but how do you make the game "free" and "paid", then? Again, this is a board game with multiplayer only, so there are no "levels" to block. Is it acceptable, for instance, to allow a few free runs of the game for free and then for more you'd have to pay? How would you do it?

Thanks!

12. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Ugh that would be terrible IMO. Looking at how Disc Drivin and Words With Friends does it, you could have incredibley intrusive advertisements that pop up after every move you make. It's something the cheap players learn to live with, and it motivates them to buy the game if they really like it.

Also you could give them a special avatar or trophy or access to exclusive strategy guides or something for buying the full version... just a few ideas.

13. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    You could develop the game as multiplayer only and then work on the AI at the end when you have a feel of how it plays. I've worked on several games this way. Populous was 2 player (via a serial cable) only until a month or so before the end of the project. The AI only written after we had played it for several months. Magic Carpet and Syndicate were developed in a similar 'multiplayer first' way although in the case of Syndicate, there was a little 'scripting' which made the single player not seem like it was made this way. Another great example is Quake III where the single player was basically deathmatch against bots.

14. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    #14 aviadbd, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
    But wouldn't intrusive adverts drive them away from the game before they could experience it well enough? How would you manage intrusive vs. wanting your noob to experience the gameplay properly?

Also, if and when a single-player option is added, would you remove the free version altogether and just sell the game as is?

The avatar is a cool idea, I wonder if it can fit at all though.

15. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    I'm thinking of doing this, of course, but I'm also thinking of launching the game pre-AI to get some funds back for my expenses.. For that, I'm wondering how that should be done.

16. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    in general I would highly recommend making the game have a 1-player mode as soon as possible, if you are looking to appeal to a larger casual crowd. I'd never put something out (for the mobile platform) that a single person couldn't enjoy just by themselves, without some amazing gimmick to back it up otherwise (or some real hardcore marketing money)

17. Noodler

Noodler Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Get thinking boy or Mr Ugly will be on to you with a very heavy reply :D

18. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    Can't figure out what you mean or suggest :)

19. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    That would be a good idea. I've played a couple games that use this kind of system.

Of course the value of your game will greatly depend on the number of players. Since you can't play solo, if no one is online willing to play your game, it would be useless to the consumer.

20. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    If I have friends and time available, I will play a physical board game. The reason I purchase so many board game adaptations for the iPhone is so that I can play against an AI when I *can't* meet up with friends.

I think single player, strong AI, is a must for the initial launch and multiplayer can come after. Remember, sometimes people pick up board game adaptations for iOS without knowing how to play the game. AI players let a new player feel like they can jump right into the action... instead of trying to learn rules playing against real people ( with varying levels of skill ) or trying to convince friends to buy and learn new rules also.

I guess I would say I am sure more people would pick up a game they have never played before *if* it has an AI they can learn against and the future promise of multiplayer rather than the other way around.

I think the Ascension devs asked this on BGG a while ago and most voted in favor of AI being more important ( I hope to god the devs listened on that one ).