Pirates vs Ninjas Dodgeball???!!!!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by BlazingLizard, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlazingLizard

BlazingLizard Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Game Development
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys,

We're thinking of porting the Wii version of Pirates vs Ninjas Dodgeball (releases May 12!) over to the iPhone. But first I wanted to gauge whether you, iDevice users, would even like to see such a game released on the phone.

Before I go into further detail about the game I'd first like to show you a little eye candy. Here are the first two screenshots that are beimg exclusively revealed on the Touch Arcade forums!

As for gameplay....

We'll use onscreen analog pads to control the characters (much like what is used in most character-based action games). However, for throwing, dodging, jumping, and catching we've decided to go with gesture based controls. We'll have more details about how this will exactly work in the coming weeks.

Oh and one last bit of info I'd like to share with you guys. Wi-Fi Multiplayer will be supported (and when 3.0 comes out we'll patch in Peer-to-Peer too!)

Stay tuned for more details about this ambitious project we're undertaking in the days and weeks to come.

You can also visit us at www.blazinglizard.com for info on all our upcoming projects!

- BL

Attached Files:

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    It's an interesting idea. If ported correctly I'll look at it,

But it looks like the porting already has begun. :p

3. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    i think it would be nice to have a polished dodgeball game for the iphone and touch. I would totally purchase it if it was out. Looking at the screenshots i think i would like it alot.

4. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    interesting..might pick up for a buck...doubt any higher though...

5. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    #5 FilthyCanadian, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
    NO, please do not. This was one of the WORST xbla games I've ever played. I buy almost all of the XBLA games, and I made sure to steer clear of this game. The sad thing is, was when the developers of this game delayed the game because of all the negative reviews, then added more garbage modes onto this poor game.

No I would not like to see this game, there's enough trash on the app store.

EDIT: Found this:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/piratesvsninjasdodgeball?q=Pirates vs Ninjas dodgeball

PvN dodgeball currently has a meterating of 44.

A couple of review comments:

GameRevolution:
    I am at a loss for something truly positive to say. As much as I want to present something, anything, positive about a product people put time into developing, I cannot. Pirates Vs. Ninjas is just a dumb idea, badly executed.

IGN:
    By adding new rules to the game of dodgeball, Blazing Lizard has removed everything that made the schoolyard game fun and replaced it with a bunch of arena brawling game ideas we've seen done better a thousand times over.

6. BlazingLizard

Jan 23, 2009
    Game Development
    Austin, TX
    This is not based on the XBLA version and is instead based on the Wii version (a completely different product). Please don't pass judgement until you've checked out the Dodgeball mode in the Wii version.

The iPhone version of PVND will actually feature highly detailed sprites instead of dumbed down versions of our 3D characters. The gameplay itself will be entirely in 2D and based off the classic NES Super Dodgeball game.

7. FilthyCanadian

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    It doesn't matter what platform it's on. The game itself, is a poorly executed dumb idea.

8. BlazingLizard

Jan 23, 2009
    Game Development
    Austin, TX
    You haven't even played the Wii verson yet. How can you say it's poorly executed?

If you don't like the idea itself, fine, everybody is entitled to their opinions...

9. FilthyCanadian

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    And so is: IGN, 1UP, My Gamer, EuroGamer, Destructoid, Gamespot, Team XBox, OXM, OXM UK, DarkZero, Game Revolution, XBox World 360 Magazine, GamingTrend, Thunderbolt, and Talk XBox,

10. BlazingLizard

Jan 23, 2009
    Game Development
    Austin, TX
    Those sites reviewed the game poorly because of a few key problems they had with the game (the camera sucked was the big one). Their scores had little to do with the IDEA of the game itself.

11. FilthyCanadian

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Game Revolution:

"I am at a loss for something truly positive to say. As much as I want to present something, anything, positive about a product people put time into developing, I cannot. Pirates Vs. Ninjas is just a dumb idea, badly executed."

12. BlazingLizard

Jan 23, 2009
    Game Development
    Austin, TX
    Like I said, some people disliked the idea. There is no denying that.

My only point is IF the XBLA version was more fun the reviews would have been higher even if they disliked the general theme of the game.

13. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Wasn't the idea of this game made in a contest. From what I remember, 10 teams or such were gathered and were asked to develop a game in under 10 days and this one was one of the 3 finalists?
    I may be mixing two stories together here, so I guess my main question is: was the development of this game done for a contest?

14. BlazingLizard

Jan 23, 2009
    Game Development
    Austin, TX
    Nope. That was a different dodgeball game created for a Doritos contest.

15. Shocked

Shocked Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I think the game looks pretty good.

16. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Are there life bars in the Wii version?

Is there a "one hit, one 'kill'" gameplay option in that version?

Is this game anything remotely like Super Dodgeball?

17. BlazingLizard

Jan 23, 2009
    Game Development
    Austin, TX
    Yes, the Wii version does have health bars. There is not a one hit, one kill option as the gameplay is very fast paced and matches would be over far too quickly.

The Wii version features two modes, DodgeBrawl and DodgeBall.

DodgeBrawl is more combat-centric but is vastly improved from the XBLA version. The levels are more compact. Teams are comprised of 3 v 3 instead of 4 v 4. We removed Special Abilities to make it far more tactical.

DodgeBall features 6 v 6! Teams are comprised of 3 active players and 3 Linesmen positioned on opposite ends of your opponent's court (just like Super Dodgeball). It plays out very similarly to the NES classic.

All I ask is you guys wait until you check out the Wii version of the game before writing off PvN altogether. It's a vastly superior playing product in every way.

18. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    don't listen to filthycanadian, he's always like that:p

I think it's a great idea, I would consider purchasing it for a buck.

19. Varkman

Varkman Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Looking at the screenshots this product is clearly worlds apart from the opriginal XBLA release - it has every potential to be good or even great.

Frankly I'm all for anything that isn't another "me-too" racing game with tilt controls :)

20. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Wow................this whole thread is turning into people comparing it with other games. People!! THIS IS THEIR GAME. So don't compare it with anything else.

Like I said before, I think if done properly this SHOULD be awesome. If done incorrectly....................it will be an epic fail.

Not much of a pep talk but it's the truth. Better than FilthyCanadian's comments anyways.