Who turned off the lite?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jacques Cousteau, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Jacques Cousteau

Jacques Cousteau Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2013
    So, we all know pricing and iap will always be a major discussion and stir the pot when it comes to ios gaming. i realized something today, and I wanted to know if a developer (or anyone else really), could shed some light on this.

I remember in the earlier days of the AppStore, tons of games featured a "lite" version of the game. It was basically a short demo of the game you could download for free, and if you liked it after you tried it, you could buy it.

This was a popular method devs used before the huge freemium trend set it iirc, and while there are still a few games that have lite versions, its no where near as prevalent as it once was.

When exactly did this die out, and was there a specific reason?
    I.e. did it cost more to release a demo, was it just not effective, etc.

I was just scrolling through my old iTunes account and realized how many "lites" I had from when I got my first ipodtouch, and the number was amazing. I rarely use my laptop these days (which is what that account was on) so I had pretty much forgotten they existed.

2. fred2013

fred2013 Active Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia
    Our Parachutist lite version of 10 free levels got rejected 2 weeks ago. Parachutist lite had 10 free levels (a lite version of Parachutist). It is clear that developers might not have the choice now so freemium games are "in".

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Apple started rejecting some lite version a while back. They don't want what they vaguely refer to as "crippled" lites on the AppStore or some such nonsense.

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

What? Really? Wow, that sucks to hear. Lite versions are great.

5. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Yea, I noticed that too. So they're being phased out then? I remember buying most games after first trying the lites. Still do in fact if a lite is offered. It was a nice concept for what it was.

6. digitalmunch

digitalmunch New Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Video Production
    San Francisco
    I think now a days it's more in app purchases vs lite version. Why release and maintain two builds on a game when you can just do it all in one?

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Personally, I'd prefer one app with a full game unlock anyway. I wish all games would do this -- the try before you buy type thing -- and the devs wouldn't have two apps to maintain (although, really, unless there's a bug, lite versions usually aren't touched because you don't add new content to them).

8. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I miss lite versions as well, mostly because a lot of people flip out when a game addresses the same issue by putting a full unlock in the game rather than using an up-front price.

9. I too miss the good old days with lites and premiums. Wish the trend would come back.

10. ToyRookGames

ToyRookGames Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Sounds like there's a lot of people here that would prefer lite and premium versions rather than a single free version that unlocks to full.

What is it about the free version that unlocks to full version that you guys don't like?

11. The thing is, devs that have tried to do it in the past, always seem to inflate inapp prices for everything, and make it freemium based anyway (timers, ads, etc).

I think we need a new term for games. Free to Try, where it is a premium buck app, but free to try, and will unlock with a simple buck inapp. And say so in the app descritions that that is that. Free to Try would be the new generation of games, a merge of lite and premium games.

Of course this could be higher priced games too, but there needs to be an inexpensive option too cause many people buy games when they are a buck.

I know the term Free to Play is out there, but yeah, basically they mostly just seem freemium anyway with huge inapps and stuff.

12. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    For me, it's if a game disappears from the App Store you won't be able to reinstall and restore the full version unlock so that game would be gone. Whereas purchasing the full version direct allows me to reinstall even if the title disappears from the App Store.
    It's a rare chance of it happening but if this was the main method of purchasing then it would happen more. Hope I made sense lol.

13. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Makes perfect sense and my reasoning as well. As an example I like hidden object games and some have two versions, only one is free to try then pay to unlock through iap whereas the other can be bought outright and get the full version (without iap). I'll even go so far as to play the free version (with iap) only to get a taste but will only buy the full version without the iap if its available. I don't play them right away at times and prefer the game still be intact even if its taken out of the store.

14. ToyRookGames

Nov 5, 2013
    That's a good point. I think there's a large number of gamers who don't like freemium games and there is a lot of similarity between a freemium and a game that unlocks to the full version. Especially if the developer blurs the lines by creating some hybrid of the two.

15. ToyRookGames

Nov 5, 2013
    I never even thought of this - but it makes perfect sense! Thanks.

16. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    For me it's partly the fear that I might lose the game unlock - and it's partly that AppShopper doesn't send you alerts when IAPs drop in price so I wouldn't know about any sales.

17. HansSatori

HansSatori Active Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Lite versions annoy me. I prefer Premium or free with unlock

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah it would be just like XBLA