Games (or Apps) I Regret Buying

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ethanp, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Ethanp

Ethanp Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    #1 Ethanp, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    Could a mod please delete this thread.

I had no malicious intent in creating this thread and had hoped it would help others decide on games that they were on the fence about as you usually only seem to hear about the good aspect of games (especially in the What Should I get Thread) and not so much the bad.

2. EnShinNoi

EnShinNoi Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    #2 EnShinNoi, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
    It's difficult to regret a $1.19 purchase but for the sake of this thread, Spirits because its repetitiveness sends me to sleep. Then again, I have poured several hours into it. I think it just needed another palette swap and change in music.

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    #3 LOLavi, Jul 11, 2011
    Dislike this thread.

4. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Is it necessary to make a thread saying the bad things about games? Should we not be mentioning the positives?

5. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Yeah but can you imagine a thread where it was Games(or Apps) I Enjoyed Buying? A whole lot of apps are enjoyable and fun where as there are fewer games that are just plain horrible.(at least at the top of the charts)

6. Ethanp

Ethanp Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    There are threads for positives and ones to recommend (What should I get thread for example). Anyway, I find it's much more informative knowing the bad things about games.

7. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yes but a thread like this is very disrespectful to the dev's that put much effort into games.

8. Ethanp

Ethanp Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't really think it is. Basically it's just a kind of short review. I'm not saying all aspects of the games were bad, just parts that were enough to make me regret purchasing it. If someone is on the fence about a game (like I was about most of the above mentioned) it would be nice to have a forum like this to see how people feel about the game (someone who isn't a review or critic).

9. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    It's hard for me to say which games I actually wish I didn't buy, because I have bought so many but haven't played a lot of them, even though they are good games, so I can't really say I regret buying it, but I don't really know if I'll ever play it.

10. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    This. regreting a purchase or not liking a game is all based on opinion. There will be a massive amount of people that like the game too. So posting it on here may hurt a dev with a perfectly good game that a lot of people like. but someone sees it on here and doesn't purchase it. not only does it hurt the dev, but the person misses out on what could be an awesome experience. And the devs are often on this forum. Seeing their app getting publicly shamed for a reason that many may not agree with. That is disrespectful and hurtful. And if you want a thread for deciding whether to get a game or not, this http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=23990 is what you need. not some disrespectful dissing thread.

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    True. I edited my post. All of games I mentioned I actually liked even tho they had 1 or 2 flaws. No game is flawless.

12. smjjames

smjjames Well-Known Member

May 19, 2011
    Its a little bit hard to regret a 0.99 purchase, unless of course it was something you thought was cool but absolutely sucked. I take a look at the reviews which is generally a pretty good gauge.

Theres one I have which is a 1.99 purchase. iBookshelf, I regret it in the fact that I bought it for something that it was not and didn't realize that until I looked at the further details. Basically I bought it to catalogue all of the books that I have in the several ebook apps that I have, which it doesn't do. Not a huge waste of money, but still.

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #13 backtothis, Jul 11, 2011
    Wasn't this thread locked after a few hours last week when someone else started it? and the week before that? and the week before that?..etc. I regret spending $6 on frozen yogurt that lasted 5 minutes today instead of using that money to buy $6 worth of iPod games that would have lasted me possibly over 20 hours instead? What? Oh, and the $25 for lunch? Kthx.

No, but seriously, what the f**k?

Edit: Oh, and um, to the OP who regrets purchasing games that he's never tried before..double what the f**k? And...all of your "regrets" are for games that cost under a dollar except for Bumpy Road which you would have known was an endless running game if you took the MINUTE to read the app description? Get your flame suit on, wow.

14. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    #14 Photics, Jul 11, 2011
    1. What?! I'm not on the list?! I never get any coverage on this web... oh... this is a list of games you regret? YEAY, my games are not on the list! :)
    2. As for not hurting developer's feelings, that's a tough one. I got lots of negative feedback regarding BOT. It wasn't fun and it probably hurt sales. Although, the 1.1 update was released and that was well received.
    3. I didn't see the appeal of Air Penguin or Bumpy Road either.
    4. I got mad at Rovio when they added that marketing junk to Angry Birds. Yet, it's a 99ยข app and I was done playing it. After 200+ levels, with three stars on each, I got tired of chucking birds at blocks.
    5. I'm actually quite happy with my iOS game library.

15. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I'm not going to go and post games that I regret buying, there are a few but I just don't feel like digging around for them since they are long off my iPod. However, I don't see one god damn thing wrong with this thread... with the exception of the OP disliking games he's never played. A big WTF to that. But aside from that, what the hell is wrong with this? SUre it may be disrespectful to the dev of a game they worked so hard on, and others may like the game, but Jesus Christ it's called feedback. Sometimes it's negative, sometimes it's positive. I am not going to make a review on a game solely kissing it's ass if I didn't like it. I would state the reasons why and move on. If people wanted to read it, fine, but this is the mother f*cking internet for God's sake. hahaahahaha

16. stonery

stonery Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    I wanna change the title to "Games I Regret not Buying When They Were on Sale".

17. Ethanp

Ethanp Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    For the record I didn't say I didn't like the game. I merely regret buying it. I got it while it was on sale thinking I would play it but I just haven't been drawn to play it. I don't dislike the game, in fact I am completely indifferent to the game. My only wish is that I hadn't bought it.