Your thoughts and experiences with "In-Game Currency Doublers"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ackmondual, Jul 24, 2013.

1. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    I understand that many games on iOS these days simply do NOT make enough $$ (it's still $100/yr to maintain a shop). Whether we like it or not, the old model of traditional "pay $1 to $5 for a game and be done with it" is antiquated, though still not completely wiped off the face of AppStore.

Many games feature in game currency that you can usually earn by completing levels and doing other things. The older way to get ahead was to pay real $$ for them. If done correctly, this only lets "payers" do things that non-payers would only get to do after a much longer time (sometimes, up to months later!?). If you had the patience, you could earn enough. Some games only have the currency buy cosmetic changes, new skins, etc. However, other games do have gameplay differences from the things you can buy, or new modes and levels to unlock.

A new thing it seems is to pay a one time fee of real money to double the rate you earn this currency. I've already done this for games like Stickman Golf 2 (Android version though for $1.77, but iOS charges $1.99 which is close enough). It does get you "closer" with the game/app. Although I'm on hiatus from that game (gotta figure out how to transfer saves when I inevitably upgrade to a new Galaxy s4 or something), I will likely go back to finish it.

OTOH, other iOS games I've tried though, such as Super Mole Escape, or Temple Run 2 (probably the first one too for all I know), if I wasn't being efficient with x2 XP, $$, gems, or whatever, it just didn't seem to be worth my time. So I tried those games briefly, and won't likely bother with them ever again. What surprised me is trying out Robot Unicorn Attack 2, they charge $5 for this 'privilege'! I'm turned off all the sudden.

How do you guys feel about such a transaction for such games?

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I still think 'make a good game and it'll sell tons'. I'm not a fan of IAP's, i dont mind 'light' IAP's but i think thats becoming more and more 'cloudier' all the time.

I even have the feeling that more and more games 'force' you to get a coin doubler at say $2 whereas previously i always thought of getting that as a 'thanks' to the devs.

Now when i see for example a lack of coins in a game its like they're saying to me 'you HAVE to get the coin doubler or you'll be here for months trying to level up your character' etc.

I dont have the patience anymore, its very well some kid telling me hes completed the game without buying any IAP's but often hes probably been playing that 24/7 whereas i've got a family/job to do !

Nowadays i try and stay away from any games which seem to have a lot of IAP's. If a game just has one or two, obviously pay to get rid of adverts etc i'll give them a chance. But if its free theres obviously a reason why, and the reason is they're often IAP heavy

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    If I like a game enough I may buy a doubler, provided it's the right price. I'm thinking of doing so for Maximus right now, tbh. Coin doublers for a buck or two are perfectly fine with me, but the $5 ones are just stupid, IMO. You'd rather fork over $5 than just playing a second round?

4. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Doublers to me have always been on the more acceptable side of iap.

5. HungarianUrinalCakes

HungarianUrinalCakes Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    They are good in the sense that they are a permanent purchase as opposed to just buying currency and using it up. However, I've never been able to actually purchase either. My money is just worth far more than my time. I won't buy anything that I could just get for free by grinding.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Depending on the dev, I might pick it up if only as a "tip + bonus for me" (Jetpack Joyride, I'm looking at you! ;))

I'm much more inclined to purchase 'permanent' IAP like these. Finally caved in and bought Block Fortress, and was debating if it's XP doubler was actually worthwhile.

I'm not so thrilled to see >$2 doublers on apps I already paid for (as opposed to freemium apps.)

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think coin doublers are the perfect compromise for freemium games. Release a free game that is inbalanced but possible with enough grinding and enable a IAP that restored balance to premium state. This allows users to play the game indefinitely for free if they'd like to "try before you buy" or want to scheme to see if they can enjoy the game without purchasing it but allows developers to make profit with one time non-consumable IAP. +1 to liking in-game currency doublers as the lesser evil.,

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Doublers are auto-buy for me if it meets 2 of my requirements...

1. Game is decent.
    2. Purchasing it will seem to make the game a lot less grindy. If i think even a doubler cant keep up with the shop prices, i never buy them, and usually just delete the game.

9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I know a lot of people buy them (mostly impatient children), personally I never buy them, even if its a game I really like. I'd rather earn the gold at the normal rate, I see these as cheating.

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Have you considered the possibility that the game was designed with the gold/XP doubler in mind, and that by playing without them, you are in effect earning gold/XP 100% slower than intended?

11. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I'm not 100% anti IAPs, but I really really hate any IAPs related to in-game currency, so I won't buy them - including coin doublers.

12. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    100%.
    Some games it just feels like you're gaining gold, exp, whatever, at a quarter the pace of what you should. Get the doubler and earn at half the pace. Not for me.
    I prefer to support developers that are making reasonably balanced games.
    Just to point this out, the worst IAP offenders in the AppStore do not have coin doublers. They see this as potentially hurting their profits. Does EA, zynga, whoever made clash of clans offer doublers? No.

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Most games that end up being at least decent and offer these doublers are usually freemium. That doubler is a way to pay for a game that gives you a premium-ish, less grindy feel.

...Unless you think these types of games should just be FREE coz paying for them is cheating.