The Best Game Prize

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Fruit Roll, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Fruit Roll

Fruit Roll Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    game designer, game reviewer
    Here and There
    Hi, everyone in TA.

Our new game has been submitted and going to release in about 2 weeks.

We decide to send gift(s) as prize to our game player(s) with the highest score. Now, we are supposed to send the winner(s) itunes gift card.

Do you have any good idea? (the gift, the number of prize-winner or something else)

Thanks.

2. polygrafix

polygrafix Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Game Developer
    Las Vegas
    I'm not experienced with this type of marketing so i have no advice to give- but i am interested to hear the results from others who have done these kind of promotions.

I think people like exclusive things a lot, if you can give them something exclusive (like a t-shirt from cafepress.com) with your game/logo on it, that might cost as much as an itunes gift card but being you cant get it anywhere else- it has an "exclusive" value added to it. - Just a thought.

3. Fruit Roll

Apr 2, 2011
    Here and There
    Thanks for your post. Your mention of t-shirt makes me think of another famous game. But I wanna do some innovation, still work on it now.:rolleyes:

4. helioxfilm

helioxfilm Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    Well, I have (had) something similar in my mind, to give out vouchers for travel, hotel etc, something related to the game. Each month the best player could get it. The only question is how to prevent high score hacking :)

5. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    For contests there is probably no way to prevent someone from hacking/cheating. If someone wants to cheat they're going to cheat. I think the only way to deter this kind of cheating for the contest is to clearly spell out Terms and Conditions for the contest.

I have a contest going on right now which is here in the forums: $50 iTunes Gift Card, First player to Level 10 in Finders Keepers Wins!!! (I'm not doing a good job at promoting it but it's there :))

Anyways, these are the Terms and Conditions I'm using...

Terms and Conditions:
    United States only. Winner will be validated/confirmed by Tiny Tech Studios (me) in order to receive the prize (basically means, don't cheat please). iTunes Gift Card will be delivered as an iTunes Gift Card Redemption Code.

I think if you flat-out say that the winner must be validated to receive the prize then you have every right to deny someone who is cheating. This also works as a good deterrent for cheaters. Why would a cheater spend time cheating to get a prize if they know you could just deny it to them on grounds of cheating?

In my case, I can validate how the user got to level 10 (so a cheater will be obvious) and I'm sure if you're running a contest that is leaderboard or score based then you can easily validate whether someone has cheated or not. If not, don't base the contest on that...just my 2 cents ;)

6. Fruit Roll

Apr 2, 2011
    Here and There
    Very grateful! I will take your advice.

7. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Awesome, good luck! Hope the contest turns out well. Don't forget to post it in the forums here on TA :D