Universal Super Hexagon by Terry Cavanagh, Universal, TA GotY 2012 Honorable Mention

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Try out the online version here.

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    You need one of them old fashioned PC thingamagigs for that though, dontcha?

3. thesmashingone

thesmashingone Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Yeah, the PC version runs on Flash. Cavanagh ported this version of Hexagon to the iPhone, which requires different code.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Sorry, I should've mentioned that you need to run it on an IBM 386. Just the latest and greatest technology.

5. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #25 djflippy, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    Walls encroach upon your arrow. Avoid them...quickly. Game lasts like 30 seconds, but it's 30 seconds of awesome.

May devolve in to rote memorization, but I don't take issue with that, personally.

6. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Forget this game, lol. At first I thought, hey this is cool. But then I realized the game is balls hard. Too hard. There really isn't a whole lot to it, but I kind of wish there was a casual/easy mode. As it is, you win Hexagon. I give up:(

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This gets my vote for GOTW, possibly even GOTM.

8. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    thx guys, you sold me... well, thats some pretty intense action (last game 5:53 sec? wtf? :D)

i'm going to damage my brain more later today... i like it ;)

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I got what I expected: a brutally difficult endless maze :)

10. jonbro

jonbro Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    right hand at luckyframe
    yessss!

downloading now.

11. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    There should be an easy and normal mode so we can get used to the touchy controls. As is it's too hard to be fun in my opinion.

12. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #32 TheFrost, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    The first level is supposed to be the easiest one... wondering what kind of mayhem awaits on hyper mode... If I ever make it there...

13. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

14. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    The game appears to be about moving your cursor through an endless maze of shifting hexagons. However, it is a Terry Cavanagh game, so the only thing we really need to know is how to hit the buy button.

15. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #35 TheFrost, Sep 6, 2012
    Pretty much what he said there

Tap half the screen to go left and the other half to go right... and try to survive the incoming maze. There are six different difficulties, 3 of them are locked, from hard to ?, should be insane. Controls are a bit sensitive but do the job right, IMO

Finding it very entertaining, and surprised that Im better at hardest than hard. Great maze and greater challenge

Also, Terry Cavanagh is right at the top of the leaderboards, 150 seconds, and still plays this everyday
    Edit: Hes now at 200 seconds...

16. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Brutal Hexagon jaja that would be way more adequate for this

17. Honki

Honki Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    #37 Honki, Sep 6, 2012
    What's so great about this game is watching yourself make progress.
    At first, it seems absolutely impossible to enjoy because you die instantly all the time, and you curse the controls because they seem imprecise. But if you keep playing (and you will, because of the game's strangely hypnotic nature), you start getting the hang of it.
    Suddenly, the controls are not wonky at all, but absolutely brilliant.
    You start to unconciously hum the chiptune music and feel kind of relaxed and highly concentrated at the same time. You are in the zone. And 60 seconds don't seem so long after all.

Ah man. I love this ####ing game.

18. MiOdd

MiOdd Member

Apr 15, 2010
    isn't this game endless? it says you need to 'clear' each stage to unlock the hyper modes. how do you 'clear' a stage exactly?

19. Honki

Honki Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Each stage consists of six "levels". They're named after geometric figures (point, line, triangle and so on, up to hexagon).
    You reach a new level simply by staying alive, e.g. Level 4 ("quarter") is reached after 30 seconds.
    The little yellow bar in the upper left corner of the screen shows your progress. Once it's full after 60 seconds, you have cleared the stage, although you can of course play on for high scores.

20. thesmashingone

thesmashingone Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    The hell? How can he play his own game and mock all of us people who can get barely 30 seconds?