Anybody here think graphics are very important?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GOOL, Feb 4, 2010.

1. GOOL

GOOL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Personally, I think it is very important.

There are many games with similar gameplay. Why I choose this one instead of any similar game?

Good design sells.
    :cool:
    How do you think?

2. z0|¥|b1_G-zus

z0|¥|b1_G-zus Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Selinsgrove, PA
    I'll have to disagree. Personally, graphics are at the bottom of my list when it comes to choosing a game.

I agree 100% that many games share gameplay types (especially when it comes to the iDevices) but that doesn't mean the one with better graphics will implement that gameplay the best.

Think of neverending console wars with Sony and Microsoft. A game is released across both systems with one getting better graphics but slowdowns, clipping, and poor controls while the other suffers in graphics but runs smooth, feels natural, and creates a better atmosphere. Who really wins?

For me, deciding which game to get in any game category comes down to which one plays the best, has the best in game features, and can create an atmosphere. The only way graphics really come into play might be in visual theme (zombies, robots, demons, "doodle", etc.) but even then there are exceptions.

Good graphics never made a bad game not suck.

3. raumich

raumich Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Germany
    i see it like the threadstarter. a good design doesn't make a bad game better but i refuse to play games that look like shit, even if they are good. this driving bear simulator is a good example. i hear from everywhere that this game is good but it honestly looks crap so i didn't want to play it. a game must not impress me on the graphics side but it should at least look decent.

4. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I think gfx do not make the cut for me eithr.
    For eg. I prefer Cartoon Wars to Ancient War ANY givn day

5. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    If graphics would be very important, Gameloft games wouldn't be this crappy.

6. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    Graphics are important, it liKe the cover page of a book.

7. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Germany
    depends...a racing game, shooter or fighting game needs definately good graphics, without them i would't even consider a free-download.

but games like tower-defense, poker etc. don't need that superb graphics, but are ofcourse appreciated.

i wish the developers would do more openGl 2.0 enhancments and not just 1 effect, gameloft is allready going the right way in this case.

8. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    It doesn't matter whether you THINK graphics are important or not. To the larger audience, they are. Good looking apps are easier to sell.

9. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    i tend to disagree to a point.

only shallow people consider gfx as a priority over gameplay, although an ugly game with great gameplay will be overlooked by the masses, am sure.

10. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    We are talking about graphics not women.:)

11. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    For the average person going to the appstore, graphics trumps almost everything. Things other people have mentioned that they consider more important: smooth framerate, no bugs, solid gameplay - you can't evaluate those firsthand unless you've already downloaded the game. Heck, lite versions aside, a game could gave the most wonderful soundtrack in the world, but that'll have zero impact on the average person casually shopping the appstore.

That being said, if a game gets slammed left and right in user ratings, even the prettiest game will eventually nosedive down the charts.

The one exception appears to be "stickman" games. Triniti somehow manages to make stickman games look sexy, but there are plenty of other developers with stickmen games that look crude yet sell well. I don't understand their appeal.

12. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Graphics are not high on my list of things I like in a game. However, having said that I do like smooth, polished games with good graphics that is nice to play.

I HATE pixelated games (sorry Hook Champ fans) but for me they are just bad!

Mad

13. gelas_plastik

gelas_plastik Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    i tend to agree with johnwayne ..

graphics are definitely one factor to look at for certain type of games but not all .. FPS, racing games for example had to have good graphics as any details that can be seen on the screen will actually contribute to a much enjoyable gameplay .. by graphics, I think it's not only about quality, also the overall presentation of the games to your eyes .. things like framerate, style etc ..

14. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    graphics is not on the very top of my list but is somewhere there. eyecandy is nice, but i hope the devs would make use of Open GL 2.0 more

15. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    good visuals may enrich the global experience and actually affect the gameplay.
    It very much depends on the specific game we are talking about. Some games are very good even with simple graphics.

16. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Good graphics aren't a neccesity, I mean I would rather not stare at something that looked absolutely horrid. but, really for me, graphics are not very important for me. I like games that have great gameplay, and original ideas. Good graphics certainly add to the game, but as a whole, they play a very very small part in if I choose to get a certain game.

17. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    I just upgraded my 3g into a 3gs for one reason and one reason alone. You guys know my answer to this ;)

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Graphics are just one factor and not usually the most important to me...but nothing irks my ire more than a game that looks like it is using clip art or so blatantly stolen artwork from some other game as it just makes the whole project hobbled together in a hurry.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    For me, graphics on the iPhone are slightly more important than they are on other consoles. Generally, I like good graphics, but that doesn't mean they have to be the most up-to-date technologically advanced graphics, 8-bit stuff pleases me just as much provided it's done right. Gameplay will always be the major factor though, it's just nice to have both.

Anyway I figure they're slightly more important on the iPhone due to the number of similar games we get. There are a ton of games on the App Store that play very similarly to one another... so it makes sense to get the one that's most pleasing to the eye. I tend to play slower-paced, relaxing games on my iPod, so preferably I want something pretty-looking and calming that I can stare at for long periods of time.

20. GOOL

GOOL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I agree with gelas_plastik; " overall presentation of the games " is more important then single eye-catching graphic.
    And good graphic don't have to be complicated, it sould be simple,clear and above all, matchs the game.
    It is not design for design, but design for the game.