Real-Time App Sales

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by bravetarget, Dec 11, 2009.

1. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #1 bravetarget, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
    Do you think we will ever be able to get updates on what we are selling in a real-time fashion?

Our app ranking updates plenty of times every day, I wish we had a sales report that did the same.

Live App Store Purchases Video

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

That would be nice but I couldn't imagine the system strain from so many people watching all day every day. I like to think of the Apple daily reports as my morning surprise!

3. #3 MindJuice, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
    Would be cool to have an app or desktop application that got push notifications whenever you got a sale. It could play a little cha-ching sound for each copy sold!

4. cfreshmedia

cfreshmedia Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Game developer, designer
    Austin, TX
    I too like the morning surprise of checking... or did when my game was selling!

Although its almost painful now to see sales in other countries cause I know I'll probably never see that cash. I have about a hundred bucks in a few other countries, but they haven't hit the $150 threshold, and may not for a very long time. So far I'm only get dough from the US store.

5. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I've heard of devs who become fascinated of their data and make it religion to check the handful of sales each day… wondering over a -10% & +5% disparity between days. Why do they do this? …Maybe they're looking each day, like lottery numbers, hoping for the jackpot.

I suppose Apple could provide realtime functionality for those devs. I'm sure the reason they haven't is they never thought anyone would need it. It makes no sense from a business point of view to check data any more frequently than daily, and even that's excessive. Weekly data is sufficient for seeing marketing results. You don't think publishers get the sales data from DS or PSP game sales on a daily basis, do you?

6. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    it'd be just like the stock market, but people would rely on it, and there would be very low consistency.

7. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    We have real-time stats for our online games :D They are really necessary for doing efficient advertising, I think some stats-tracking libraries also provide you with that data, as long as people are connected to WiFi/Edge/3G when starting their game.