Universal Trial of the Clone (Universal app by Tin Man Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Apr 16, 2013.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    What!?!?! Your first game book 0? You have been missing out.

About the file size since when did 200mg become a huge file? I've only got the 16g ipad and I always have about 3 pages of games installed and I normally have about 3-5 gig of free space, I just delete the biggest games first. Stuff like bastion, NFS, they get played finished and deleted.

For game books though I can always spare the space as I always have all of them installed on both iPod and iPad.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    First ? Theres some great ones out there by Gamebook Adventures plus their officially licensed ones (Fighting Fantasy)

Right i've cleared up 300 meg so i can install it (hate deleting apps, so many i keep thinking 'but i'll play this tomorrow' !), i'll give it a go !

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I sent a PM to the dev here, but I wanted to post about it as well in case anyone is having an issue in the game. Maybe I'm alone?

Anyway, I am stuck:

I am a fighter, I chose the path of good and then blew everyone up. I fought the Jesuspillar and won, then I got through the rest up to the point where I have to fight Sourek.

Well the fighting battle is fine, but when I have to battle against his charisma, I CAN'T win. Because the numbers are no higher than 3, his is a 3 and I have 0 charisma, no matter what I roll I can't win.

4. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

I shall look into this for you. As far as I'm aware there is a way around this but it's been a few weeks since I read that Act so I shall get back to you. :)

5. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

Ah yes, having just whizzed through that part, I remember now...

Basically, as you're a Fighter you're not supposed to have any Charisma! So when you meet Sourek, you're at a serious disadvantage as you're simply a 2-dimensional meat-head. However, it could be viewed as a little unfair so I have reduced Sourek's Charisma to 2. Let the app do an in-game update and that should be changed.

6. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Ahhh finally I see life in this forum. I was wondering why the hell isn't anybody talking about this game? A narrated gamebook! With Will Wheaton! And only 3.99!? I'm still waiting Blood of Zombies to go on sale here in Canada, hint hint, or House of Hell?
    Anyway I hope this works out well for Tin Man, and are there plans to narrate more books in the future?

7. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    So hang on you say "only 3.99" but say your waiting for a sale:confused:

I've got all the game books and there worth every penny (sure I can pick up the physical book versions for the same price normally, but then you have the hassle of writing down stats and rolling actual dice).
    The only one I don't actually like was book 8, all the others are great.

This one though is the first funny one and its actually hilarious.

8. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

$3.99 /= $5.99.

I can understand wanting to get it on a bit of a sale, especially when it's been on sale for $0.99/$2.99

Also, I wasn't really blown away with the writing in Blood, it was okay but I didn't get incredibly hooked.

9. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    #29 drloony, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    Yes I got this one, waiting for sales on the others though, sorry I'm cheap like that, apps can add up pretty quick I find.
    So Blood of Zombies is better? I heard it uses a different mechanic then the other books
    Judge Dread was pretty good with its new Law mechanic I think it was, I enjoyed that one
    Edit: Oh duh, I got "Blood" and "Hell" mixed up, I get your meaning now. I'm hoping "Hell" will be all that, I've never read that one

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Me too. While there are those Gamebook Adventures that I would pay full price for, there are also those entries which do not interest me as much and so I will only pick the latter up during a sale...

11. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I think I've came across a problem, I'm going to hear wil wheatons voice in my head when ever I'm trying to read the other game books :eek:

12. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Whatever rocks your boat. :)
    I would rather hear Felicia Day's voice...

13. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
  14. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

This is probably the funniest gamebook ever created. I've never laughed that much. While the combat is a bit more straightforward than the old gamebooks, the situations and the puns are amazing.
    Get it people it's really axcellent! (I'm out!)

Jesus on a giant lizard!

15. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    What's with all the content updates? It doesn't tell you what it's updating but its happend three or four times now when I've opened up the app :confused:

16. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I know the first one reduced a battle of wits from 3 to 2. So I assume that they are probably just balance tweaking the game, or fixing spelling errors and such.

17. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    i've never had a gamebook...it looks intriguing
    how long does it take to read...um play..? through it??

18. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I'm looking for an answer to this question too. Is this game as short as Sorcery?

19. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I can't remember how long a play through of this is, I think its a bit longer than sorcery but I'd say the main draw here is the fact the whole book is voice by wil Wheaton and it's really funny.
    If your after a long game book I'd suggest infinite universe as it's a huge game book in comparison to the rest, well it certainly took me way longer than the other books for a single play though.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gamebook-adventures-infinite/id496517034?mt=8

20. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Infinite Universe is sci-fi while the rest are fantasy, so if you like sci-fi, go for Infinite Universe. I had fun with it.

Trial of the Clones is Wil Wheaton, which is either a positive or negative depending on your opinion of him...