So, THIS might REALLY be why Apple bought Beats.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    So, now it looks like we know another big reason Apple bought Beats. From Forbes:

[Editor's note: The original headline stated as fact that Apple was abandoning the headphone jack. This is informed opinion, so we added a question mark.]

Suddenly why Apple AAPL +0.39% spent a seemingly ludicrous $3.2 billion buying Beats is starting to make sense. The reason: Apple is being more Apple than we ever imagined and it could mean saying goodbye to your favourite pair of headphones. Furthermore, if my theory is correct, then the new ones you buy will probably have Beats on the logo.

Get Ready For Lightning Headphones
    Like most Apple developments, the news emerged from a leak. 9to5Mac has learnt that Apple submitted a specification to its MFi (Made For) licensing program for headphones which connect using the company’s proprietary Lightning port instead of the standard 3.5mm jack. Furthermore all it will take for the Lightning port to start accepting these new headphones is a firmware update.

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Omg! Are you freaking serious! If I can't use my nice pair of iem than this is pretty ridiculous. Is that what's happening? Great find!

3. Lightning headphones?

I hope not, that would be one of the worst things ever on ios.

4. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    What! I just bought $1k headphones (AKG K3003i) 3.5 jack headphones..

5. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    If they did that, I for one would never buy any.

I have some 'Atari' branded headphones I picked up for £20, I wouldn't pay their ridiculous price for those, I'd do without.
    Tbh I'd never pay more than £20-30 for headphones. (Approx $30-45)

6. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Ain't gonna happen. How would you listen to a movie or whatever in headphones if you are charging your device at the same time? There will always be some kind of headphone jack/port separate from the lightning port.

I think the acquisition has more to do with music in general rather than just fancy headphones.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed on your logical take on this "story." But the purchase (which was kind of a bargain for Apple, considering Beats yearly revenues) was also very much about brand value, especially outside of Apple's traditional audience. Check out Beats new, epic World Cup ad to see what I mean.

8. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    And about $250 profit on all those $300 sets of Beats.... I posted here about how Beats cost $14 - $35 in parts based on which model.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    This rumor sounds completely ludicrous.

10. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Well, Forbes magazine is not known for rumors. If they said it, they believe it to be true.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    When it comes to Apple, Forbes gets it wrong on a regular basis, unfortunately.

12. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013

Well, how about this report?

In a potentially controversial move, the company wants to get rid of the traditional 3.5mm headphone jack that connects essentially all types of headphones to all types of smartphones and replace it with something better.

During a WWDC briefing session this week, Apple revealed its plans for a new standard that would use the company's own Lightning Connector port to plug a set of headphones into a smartphone or tablet.

The logic behind the decision, outlined by Apple's manager of platform accessories Robert Walsh, is to bring more functionality and performance to headphones. The Lightning Connector can be used to power as well as connect devices for example, so headphones could have controls, like volume or nose cancellation features, but wouldn't need their own batteries to power the features.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I know there's talk about Apple being more "open" these days, but it's unheard of for the company to tip its hand about major changes like that -- and especially coming from a manager and not from upper management. WWDC briefing sessions are not open to reporters and, as I understand it, are covered by NDA. So this "scoop" came to Forbes second hand. I am dubious.

14. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    There is no way they're getting rid of the jack entirely. No way.

I would believe that they might change their proprietary headphones to use the lightning connector, or even wireless, but to get rid of the universal standard jack for good? No.

15. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013

Then don't you think that manager would have said that he didn't say that? I have looked for reports online and can't find any. In fact NO stories disputing by Apple. Apple lies like everybody lies in business..... so they could deny it and still do it.