Space Tripper...

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TrueAxis, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    #1 TrueAxis, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    Coming soon! Space Tripper will be submitted in the next couple of days for a Nov 2011 release.

2. pbhogan

pbhogan Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Game Developer
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Looks awesome. Judging by how polished Jet Car Stunts was I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

3. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Cant wait for the new video :)

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Used to be addicted to this game on my Mac. I knew that there was an iPhone port in the works, but I hadn't put two and two together about TrueAxis's involvement. Just the perfect game for the platform, and the perfect developer to take it on. Instant buy.

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Looks pretty damn good. Just make sure you test it on all idevices before sending it to approval :p

Still waiting for the JCS update for 2G iPhone...

6. TrueAxis

Sep 7, 2009
    That was fixed with the 1.1 version... You should now be able to play the game without headphones or silent mode now and it will not crash when a sound plays. It works on the 2G we have here...

Is there another problem that we don't know about?

7. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    uhhhhh do want. now. bad.

8. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Oh cool. Didnt see it was already updated. My bad. iTunes probably downloaded it. Havent synced yet.

9. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    nice screenies, True Axis :)

10. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Nice, will have to pick this up.

11. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Finally, been waiting for this game the day i saw it was announced last year. I will definetly be buying this without hesitation!

12. TrueAxis

Sep 7, 2009
    Just an update:

Option screens are coming together nicely.

I've been thinking about modes of play. Originally the game was played from start to finish with no progression saving.

What I'm thinking of doing is to use the four worlds as checkpoints. This means you still have to play the levels one after the other to unlock the next world. The score, lives and weapons will be used as the starting points to each world from the previous world. This mode of play will be the Campaign Mode.

But what I want to do as well, for each level completed, is to unlock the level for a Score Attack Mode. In this mode you get one life and what ever weapon settings were set at when the level was played in Campaign Mode. This mode is all about getting the top score.

So the leaderboards will be as:

Top score for all the levels in campaign mode
    Top score for each world in campaign mode
    Top score for each level in score attack mode

Any views on this are welcome from people :)

13. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    yes, make a save after each world, I hate games that put me back to the beginning....

Oh, and it looks really good! Can you put a newer video online? I would love to hear the sound effects and to see if something changed...

14. TrueAxis

Sep 7, 2009
    Videos will be done in January when we start the marketing.

The sound effects have been upgraded to the ones that were used in Astro Tripper on the PS3... very meaty sounding. The Alien world sounds really creepy :)

15. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    January....long time to wait.....>.<

But no I've got two reasons to look forward to January: Birthday and the video :D;)

16. deiden26

deiden26 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    It's mid january....

17. Autrach

Autrach Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I played the game on my PS3 and I really loved it, so this will be a instent buy for me =)

18. TrueAxis

Sep 7, 2009
    #18 TrueAxis, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    Tell me about it ;)

I've been busy working on the next update of Jet Car Stunts, so things have been slightly delayed.

Also, we are going to do an experiment on the App Store with this one... My views on publishers and developers that release games that only have good framerates on the newer hardware and perform badly on the older hardware are just ripping off the games buying public - you spend money for a game that performs badly is wrong in my books.

I've spent about a year on and off optimizing the hell out of this game and yet on the later levels the framerate stutters. What's needed is polygon reductions to all objects and levels - effectively down scale the graphics so that the gl drivers can cope with the game.

Or just ignore the older hardware and release for the newer hardware - 2nd gen iPods, 3rd gen iPods, and the iPhone 3GS - and be honest about it to the people who buy the game. What this means for Space Tripper is that there will not be any game on the App Store like it... The shear amount of movable gfx and effects, all in 3D, and the super smooth framerate will just blow away any game that calls itself a shoot em up.

So, I've got a few days left to do on Jet Car Stunts... Then back onto Space Tripper. The good thing about making this decision is that I will be putting all the graphical effects I ripped out back in - so the game will look even better :) Those heavy duty optimizations I did will certainly make the 2nd gen iPod be the same as the newer hardware.

So the experiment is a gamble that relies on the people who have the hardware to buy the game. I'm hoping that anybody with the newer devices will get this game because they want to see something that will push the 2nd gen iPods to the limit for that console feel.

We should get some videos done by the end of the month.

19. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

Woo! I just got in!2nd gem iPod touch!!!!

20. christophebailleau

Jan 23, 2009
    librarian and plastician
    Huy in belgium
    so, all sounds good, but my question is : when do you think it will be released? (sorry, my english is aproximative, i am from belgium, but i work on it)
    which date? i am so impatient for;