A "I wish I know how to code" idea. [A multiplayer game]

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ravenvii, Nov 12, 2008.

1. ravenvii

ravenvii Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I wish I can code. But I can't, and I won't learn fast enough to be able to do this anytime soon.

So I'm hoping a developer'd team up with me (or just steal the idea and do it himself, profiting at my expense... whatever works :p) to make a game.

It'd be called Murder House (or Murder Mansion, whatever). It's basically a game of tag. It's a multiplayer-only game. One game server has up to, say, 15 or a good number of players on at once. One person will be the Maniacal Killer (a Jason Voorhees lookalike, perhaps), and everyone else are the hapless victims. The killer roams the mansion looking for everyone else, and when the killer finds, and kills, a person, that person becomes the killer. It continues until everyone are killers.

It'd be played from a top-down perspective, in a rather large mansion filled with rooms and hallways and things like that.

Sounds like a simple project, but I think it can be fun! Maybe in updates traps and stuff can be added, so victims can fight back (in a way like the old Playstation game, Deception).

Anyone want to do this?

2. oticon6

oticon6 Member

Aug 6, 2008
    I'm a coder that sucks balls at graphics and sound :D So I'm looking for a small team as well. I'm looking to build a Worms meets Age of Empires kind of game starting in December. Unfortunately though, I'm sick of people that are interested for half a project and then get bored.

As for your idea, I'm not sure something so fast-paced would allow for typically erratic data connections. And I think it would suck in 2D.
    3D though... and when 3G is a little more stable... it sounds interesting :cool:

3. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

I'd love to join the team as the web developer. Talk to me about server based stuff, I'm your man.

4. ravenvii

ravenvii Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I do want it to be 3D, but from a top-down view, for playability and controls reasons.

Basically, you use your finger to control your player (the player follows where you hold your finger, like in Diable and it's ilk), and pick up items by tapping on them. The simpler, the better. I envision the game to be similar to Diablo in visuals and controls.

It'd be WiFi only for now, no 3G. Sure, you can't play it when you're on 3G, but with the free WiFi hotspots, you can still find many opportunities to play it outside the home. When 3G gets better, we deal with that, then. For now, there's still the EDGE iPhones that we don't want to abandon, so 3G, for now, is irrelevant.

5. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Thank you :)

6. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    Sounds like a great idea for a game. I might be able to do the graphics work, It all depends on what formats you'd need.

7. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Lol, gotta say that this reminds me of a custom map in Warcraft 3 entitled Murder Mansion. IMHO this would be a great idea as I remember that being popular back in the day.

8. Ebola

Ebola Active Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Over there -->
    Great idea - and a possible theme suggestion...

How about instead of approaching it from a 'murderer' angle, maybe approach it from a zombie perspective. Everybody knows that when a zombie bites you, you become one (which seems to fit perfectly with your game theme) - and some parents may be a little less apprehensive about letting their kid have an app called "Zombie Hut" on their device versus "Murder Mansion". (Sorry if it sounds like I'm being too politically correct here)

Plus, there is a fair market for people who will buy just about anything with zombies in it.

Just my $.02