Why ppl not playing our game anymore?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by GameVision, Jun 13, 2011.

1. GameVision

GameVision Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2009
    We just released our Mr.Runner PLUS one week ago but it does not go as well as Mr.Runner.

Mr.runner is used to be no.1 in free app and we thought ppl love this kind of game play and style. We added more game modes and features. But this time not a lot of ppl download this new version. We are trying to figure out why.

*there's not enough new content to pull gamers back?
    *the game does not hold that long, so actually gamers just tried Mr.Runner but do not like it
    *the app store is more crowed than one year ago?

Please let us know what you think. So we can improve more in next version:)

2. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Did you put a link to your pro version in the free version? Also did you add at least one new mode to the free version so people can get excited all over again?
    If you did those things then you might just have to move on. If you didnt then you should go ahead and do them to boost your sales.

3. GameVision

Sep 27, 2009
    The new version app is also a FREE app. We put a notice in old app to point the new version.

4. RAStemen

RAStemen New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Software engineer
    Louisville, KY
    Have you tried advertizing your game anywhere online? How have you tried letting people know that Runner PLUS exists other than with the notice in the old app? With the market being as crowded as it is I think you'll just have to be lucky to get a lot of downloads if you aren't doing anything to spread the word about your new release.

5. nantas

nantas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Designer at aBitGames Studio
    Xiamen
    Hey first of all I want to say great job on Mr. Runner.

But regarding to the new game, I think there are several problems:

1. If it's a new game, it should have a brand new icon. The current icon looks just like the old one, which indicate they are the same, so why should I bother download again?

2. There's only one screenshot for the PLUS, which tells nothing about the game. I think a lot of people wouldn't even bother download an app with only one non-informative screenshot.

3. The PLUS is also a free game, why? I mean if you want to keep the game free, why not just patch the original one? Especially when the icon stays the same, people will not get it.

IMHO Mr Runner looks pretty fun at the beginning. But the original game lacks of motivation for users to keep playing. I'm glad that the new version has leaderboard and achievements now. But those are the features that need to be put into the original game. You have a good game, I think it's better to keep updating it until it becomes great. If you have too many new features to put in, you'd better make it look a lot different than the old one.

Again great work :)

6. GameVision

Sep 27, 2009
    Thanks a lot for your comments.

You hit many points which we are thinking now. The icon, the screenshot, 2 games on the app store.

Why we make a new app instead of updating the old one? we thought update won't bring us to top chart. So we tried to create a new game, so the new downloads will count. It may be a wrong decision.

We are making another update and will make new icon and screenshot to make the game look different!

So here's question. Should we keep Mr.Runner and Mr.Runner PLUS both? Thanks for you guys!!!