Dungeon Marauders

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Stevenpaulr, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Stevenpaulr

Stevenpaulr Active Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Game Designer
    Wyoming
    #1 Stevenpaulr, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    [EDIT] Game is being released March 27th!
    Gameplay trailer at: youtu.be/JanFGdcHfww [/EDIT]

Hello,
    I'm making a new iPhone game called Dungeon Marauders. It's a digital card game with some roguelike elements and it'll feature location aware convention-centric boss fights.

[​IMG]
    Much of this is placeholder art!

Now that I have all of the buzzwords out of the way, You have a deck of cards that represent your hero. You'll go through dungeons of 5 cards each that represent different encounters in the dungeon. You also have your own dungeon of 5 cards that you've collected and other players will be trying to go through.

The cards in your deck are based on your hero's class, equipment and level.

The game is in alpha testing right now. I'm hoping to release it in mid March.

Wait, what about those buzzwords I was talking about?
    Well, not all of the Dungeons you go in will be created by other players. Some of them are randomly generated. My plan is to have two choices, to go into another users Dungeon to plunder it for wealth, or to go out into the wilds which will be randomized to tame monsters to put into your dungeon.

I'm going to be running special events at conventions that go with Dungeon Marauders. To be able to participate you will need to check into the game while at the convention. I'll check GPS to make sure that you're at least near by.

The convention will be "under attack" by a giant monster, most likely a dragon, but this should vary from convention to convention. Each time someone attacks it, they'll whittle down it's health a little bit. It should take many people attacking it over the course of a day to kill it. Once it dies, everyone who helped kill it (even a little bit) will get special loot. The person who did the most damage and the person who did the killing blow might get something extra special, but even that person standing in line next to you who has never played the game until you recruited them to help kill the dragon will get special loot. If the monster dies quickly, then I'll have it come back the next day (possibly stronger).

2. Stevenpaulr

Jan 26, 2014
    Game Designer
    Wyoming
    Here's some of the final monster art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still going to tweaking the card layout a bit. Especially since I haven't even picked a final font yet.

3. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Art is great, good luck :)

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Looks fantastic... Will follow.

5. Stevenpaulr

Jan 26, 2014
    Game Designer
    Wyoming
    I'm getting really close to releasing this game now. I think I have the UI and art all pretty much locked down. Just need to do some more testing and tweaking.
    Here's some updated screenshots and the app icon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Alrikster

Alrikster Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Looks awesome.

Looking forward to this being released!

The only thing that bothers me, are the 2 currencies shown in one of the screens...

Please tell me this wont be freemium..

7. Stevenpaulr

Jan 26, 2014
    Game Designer
    Wyoming
    Aug, I lost the reply I typed out.

You will be able to purchase gems with real money, but you can earn them in game. Here's how it works

Gems are used to purchase health potions. Your Hero regenerates health at 1 HP per minute when not in Dungeons. You also have three fairies that replenish your health. The fairies come back one each half hour.

Gems are also used to capture monsters in the wilds to use in your Dungeon.

You earn a gem anytime someone goes into your dungeon and dies. You earn a gem when you go into a friends dungeon via local battle and win. (Once try per day per friend). You also win gems when you participate in a location aware boss.

If this doesn't work, then I'll tweak it as time goes on. Looking at my list of beta testers who cannot purchase gems, the ones who play regularly all have between 10 and 20 gems right now.

Gold cannot be purchased with real money. It is used to buy equipment for your hero, and to change classes. You earn it in any dungeon that you defeat.

8. jgainsbrugh

jgainsbrugh Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Looks cool. An idea on release date ?

9. Stevenpaulr

Jan 26, 2014
    Game Designer
    Wyoming
    March 20th if things go well, the 27th if they don't.

10. Warbird1500

Warbird1500 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    USA
    Shot you an email about testing, if it's not too late.

11. jgainsbrugh

jgainsbrugh Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks. I will be purchasing this. Best of luck on finishing up and squashing the bugs!

12. Stevenpaulr

Jan 26, 2014
    Game Designer
    Wyoming
  13. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Releasing the 20th still? Game looks great,

14. Stevenpaulr

Jan 26, 2014
    Game Designer
    Wyoming
    Unfortunately, it's had to slip back a week. I had to wait on sound assets. I'm doing one final run through everything tonight, and will be submitting to Apple in the morning. If it gets approved quickly, It'll launch on the 27th.

15. Stevenpaulr

Jan 26, 2014
    Game Designer
    Wyoming
    The game was approved by Apple today.
    It will launch on March 27th (so, in 12 hours from this post if you're in New Zealand)

The game now also has an official trailer

YouTube: video

16. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Looks amazing, count me in!

Two questions:
    * Plans for Android version (if any)?
    * Do you use Twitter?

17. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I'll be picking this up on release day if it's not to freemiumy. Please tell me it's not free...

18. Stevenpaulr

Jan 26, 2014
    Game Designer
    Wyoming
    I'll do an Android version if this one succeeds.
    I'm on twitter @stevenpaulr, and if you want to focus on the game's twitter it's @dungeonmarauder

The game is Freemium, but I've been trying really hard not to make it an evil freemium.

19. Mrmt

Mrmt New Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Congratulations on getting the game out. I downloaded it and think it would be fun, were it not for the cynically greedy gems system, and relative difficulty in getting through dungeons without significant damage.

You obviously have talent and the verve to get this out. But this game is a blatant money grab that suck out any fun.

20. Stevenpaulr

Jan 26, 2014
    Game Designer
    Wyoming
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I've been trying to keep it from coming across that way.