PocketPlanes FAQ

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by akpak, Jun 21, 2012.

1. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    #1 akpak, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    How do I join the Flight Crew?
    Menu > Flight Crew > type in TOUCHARCADE at the top (where it has your username when you start)

How do I participate in the global event?
    Carry a minimum of 5 "blue" jobs to the event destination.

What if my airline can't reach the event city?
    You can open the event airport, another nearby airport, and bring a plane out of your hangar to shuttle between the two. You won't top the TA leaderboards that way, but that doesn't matter (except for bragging rights)

Can I close the event airport after I've done my 5 jobs and still get the prize?
    Yes, but if everyone does this we won't be #1 for long…

What are Mystery Parts?
    Some global events (not all) will have "orange" jobs that say Mystery Part. If you deliver this job to its destination, you will receive a plane part. So far, they have been parts for the plane that's being awarded for the event.

Who gets prizes?
    Everyone in the flight crew who participated with at least 5 jobs will get the prize TOUCHARCADE is eligible for (so far, we've been #1 with each event)

When will I get my prize for the global event?
    It can take up to a day for the event prizes to be awarded.

If the event prize is a plane, do I have to have an open plane spot for it?
    No, it will go into your hangar. Yes, you'll have to pay some bux to put it in service.

My leaderboard isn't updating!
    It takes time. Check it again later. Don't panic.

What are local events? Do they count toward the flight crew?
    They seem to only be a nice flow of traffic to that city. You will get lots of jobs for the city of a local event, which makes it easy to get trip bonuses. No, they do not count toward anything TOUCHARCADE flight crew. Red events mean the airport is closed.

When will I be able to cross the Atlantic?
    At level 14, you unlock the Pearjet which when upgraded to full range can make the NY > London trip. You can do South America to Africa with the Birchcraft, which unlocks earlier.

Will [plane x] make the trip from [x] to [y]?
    You can check here: http://www.therustysnowman.com/proj/pocketplanes.php

Can I fly from the West Coast of the US to Asia?
    No. Sadly you'll have to go East.

I have [x airports] and [x planes], what should I do next?
    Start closing your smaller airports and slowly upgrading your fleet. Strive for the bonuses that you get for a full plane sent to a single location.

How do layovers work?
    If your plane lands in an airport that is NOT your jobs' destination, you can "unload" them. Another plane can then pick them up and take them to their final destination (hopefully with bonus!)

How long do I have to pick up layovers?
    Probably forever, but they are taking up job slots in those airports.

What happens if I close an airport, but I have layovers elsewhere waiting for the closed airport?
    They're stuck. You have to dump the layover by tapping the little 'x' by their portrait. Their bitty feelings will be hurt, but there will be no effect on your airline.

Why are my flights losing money?
    Some planes are expensive to operate without getting those trip bonuses (Pearjet especially). Doing the "carbon fiber" upgrade reduces the cost to fly the plane, bringing more profit. Upgrading the range means fewer stopovers, which also cost money.

Why are some of my routes turning red on the map?
    The green line is the route that you are currently creating. So as you're setting the plane up to fly, the route will be green. Red lines are routes that you have already set up and executed. So once you tell that plane to fly, it maintains a red line to show you where the plane will/has traveled.

Does upgrading my airport let me land bigger planes?
    No. A Class 1 airport will always be Class 1. Upgrading your airport gives you more job and layover slots, which will maximize your profits later on.

What does advertising do?
    It increases the number of jobs going TO the advertising airport from other cities. Handy for increasing traffic to your hubs.

Should I get rid of all my Class 1 planes?
    You will probably want at least one in the hanger. Some global events will be in Class 1 airports. You will want to be able to reach them.

How do I put a plane in the hangar?
    When it's landed, go to the plane info and tap "Remove"

How do I scrap a plane and sell it?
    Place it in the hangar. The "scrap" button will break it down into parts. Then go to Parts, and sell the pieces.

I built a plane, but now I can't find it!
    After you tap "build", you will be sent to the map to choose an airport for the new plane. If you leave that screen without tapping an airport, the plane won't be built.

Why should I buy parts instead of complete planes?
    Buying the parts and then building the plane yourself is far cheaper in Bux than buying the plane "whole"

When will I unlock [plane x]?
    There's a handy list here: http://pocketplaneswiki.com/List_of_Planes

I need parts for [plane x], anyone want to trade?
    Go here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=139281

My airports are all gone, only one is left and I have to pay a bunch of coins to reopen it! What happened?
    You used a cheat or exploit, and you got caught. Time to start over and play it straight.

I found a bug, or have another support issue.. Where do I go?
    https://getsatisfaction.com/nimblebit

2. doobiedoo73

doobiedoo73 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Subscribing :)
    Great tips!

3. Greenman1996

Greenman1996 Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Great FAQ, I learned some things!

I also subscribed!

4. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    This is great. Thanks for putting this together and sharing!

Dave

5. rsabin

rsabin New Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Bonus Bux

Great FAQ.

Question: If I make a trip only with VIPs (bux payment) all to the same place (25% bonus), how does the bonus is calculated for bux?

6. This is super helpful!

Thanks for sharing!

7. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    You get the bonus in "coins," at whatever the exchange rate would be. 1 bux = ~500 coin (more when you're exchanging more bux)

8. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
  9. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Why are some of my routes turning red on the map?
    The green line is the route that you are currently creating. So as you're setting the plane up to fly, the route will be green. Red lines are routes that you have already set up and executed. So once you tell that plane to fly, it maintains a red line to show you where the plane will/has traveled.

10. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    What does advertising do?
    It increases the number of jobs going TO the advertising airport from other cities. Handy for increasing traffic to your hubs.

11. chankz3910

chankz3910 Member

Jun 14, 2012
    What level do you get each of the planes?

12. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
  13. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    What are Mystery Parts?
    Some global events (not all) will have "orange" jobs that say Mystery Part. If you deliver this job to its destination, you will receive a plane part. So far, they have been parts for the plane that's being awarded for the event.

14. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    My airports are all gone, only one is left and I have to pay a bunch of coins to reopen it! What happened?
    You used a cheat or exploit, and you got caught. Time to start over and play it straight.

15. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
  16. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    If the event prize is a plane, do I have to have an open plane spot for it?
    No, it will go into your hangar. Yes, you'll have to pay some bux to put it in service.

17. Xterminal

Xterminal Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Great FAQ! I have learned a lot from it before level 10!
    Just a note about local event I just found out: local event jobs could be accumulated throughout the games, and is not necessarily done in one event. For instance, I found out I was doing shipping out event for Shanghai and later for New York, and the number of jobs are accumulating.

18. bluspacecow

bluspacecow Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Proposed updates from 1.0.4 change log :

* New game guide by tapping info button at top right of screen
    * Tapping and holding a load/unload button on the Jobs screen now auto-loads/unloads jobs with the same destination
    * Pulling the list down on the Jobs Screen gives you an option to refresh the current jobs (costs bux)
    * Local (non flight crew) events now give a bux prize when completed (15 bux to transport 1000 people/cargo to destination for my level 15 airline)
    * iCloud sync can be disabled in the device settings

* Plane Cargo now removed when hangared
    * Minimum contribution to earn prize now shown on Flight Crew Prize screen
    * Costume unlocks now saved per plane