Dynamate, your help required + PROMO codes

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ivan001, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Ivan001

Ivan001 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2008
    #1 Ivan001, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    The results are in and the promo code winners have now been decided

---
    Hi all

I am currently in the planning stage for enhancements to the logic puzzle game, Dynamate. I have a few ideas myself but it would be really neat to have feedback from other people as to what could make the game more desirable.

I've got 5 promo codes to give away for the 5 best ideas!

As a bit of background, the objective of the game is to clear all of the spheres by sliding them into each other. This may sounds easy but is made harder by only certain color combinations colliding removes the spheres from play. In addition, and to add more variety, there are also teleports, moving walls, death pieces, color changes, chain reactions etc

The lite version of the game is free and can be found at:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=297044601&mt=8

Please post you comments to this thread as then there can be no arguments as to who was first if multiple people have the same idea.

Looking forward to your feedback.
    Cheers
    Ivan

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Unlockable abilities always keep me playing, achievements too. If you incorporate those people will keep playing.

3. touch

touch Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Possibly some downloadable new puzzles in updates every now and then.
    its what keeps me coming back for more.
    we have the same name :D

4. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Nothing worth mentioning...

5. ability to change the colors of the balls for sure

6. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    The interface could be changed so it would be easier to touch the balls. (You know everyone wants that.) But seriously, they could be a little bigger to make it less annoying.

7. yosaso

yosaso Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I always liked how Lumines for the PSP has changing color/background/music. It kept an otherwise simple game entertaining.

8. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    You should have a colorblind mode because I have heard a lot of complaints saying that people who are colorblind could not play many puzzle games.

9. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Accelerometer tilting mode. I don't know if it would work good on this type of game, but its always a good idea.

10. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Power ups ot like achievements(like soo many things gotten rid of like 1000 or so, gameplay (how long you have played the game) global and local high scores

11. Stahl

Stahl Member

Jul 25, 2008
    College Student
    Caledonia, WI, USA
    My suggestion would have to be a level designer. We all love these games but imagine if we could create our own levels to be shared with friends. I'm sure this would be hard work to program but once made it'd make this game even more addicting! as the others have said color blind mode is key as well as having the global high scores list.

12. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    #12 ibelongintheforums, Jan 8, 2009
    Add some polish and make it easier on the eyes. You need a prettyer UI. A timer or a number of moves option for gameplay so that you can lose. Acheivements. Power ups such as bombs, teleportation, color dye ECt. Possibly regular updates with more levels. Those are things you need, here is just a idea. Also add a high score list and maybe a level designer. You click on the circle blob but instead of flicking it you move it using the accelrometer.

Also you need to make it clearer, i was playing a level and had no idea what it would do if I touched this.

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    #13 Kamazar, Jan 9, 2009
    I'm just gonna add in along with the rest of the guys that the GUI needs serious revamping. If you're serious about the game, hire a graphics artist and have him redo the artwork. Yeah, it's serious. A good game needs lots of polish.

Is the legend at the bottom removable? If it isn't I'd advise you add in an option to enable/disable it. A skilled player is going to get annoyed quicky if he learns that game but gets constantly reminded of the rules. Plus, it'll give more room to select objects. Fingers aren't as precise as styluses, so the bigger the screen, the better.

The ball colors and looks are too rudimentary. Give them some texture. Make the inside of them swirl with gases. That'd be AWESOME! Not to mention it'd raise the bar for puzzle game graphics. Make work on the blocks, too? They seem to sharp.

Oh, and last thing, but it's more personal than anything else. Add a credits section. I hate it when names are emblazoned on the menu. It just seems kinda egotistical. At least make it more subtle.

And as for the appstore page, add more screenshots. They give better understanding of the gameplay and'll trigger more impulse buys. Most people aren't going to look for gameplay videos or review, especially on their iPhone or iPod Touch.

I haven't tried out he gameplay yet, but definitely will. I'll add if I come up with any ideas. Good luck! :D

14. games42

games42 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    make it better in every way

15. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Add better instructions to the game, and maybe a few tutorial levels. Make sure it is optional, but available to those not sure how to play.

16. Ivan001

Nov 13, 2008
    Hey guys, what a fantastic response! Thank you all very much for comments and honest feedback it certainly gives me a lot to go on.

I'm going to close the promo offer as from this comment and re-read the replies. I'll post another comment with my feedback and to let you all know which ideas I like the best and why. I'll PM the winners with their promo codes.

Cheers!
    Ivan

17. Ivan001

Nov 13, 2008
    Right I'm back after another good read. All I can say is thanks to everyone for putting the effort in.

My favorite 5 responses (in no particular order) are:
    Rich95200 mentioned unlocking and achievements. I was planning on doing a medal table anyway which provides targets for the players but the idea of unlocking the levels in groups rather than just all levels unlocked appeals to me.
    Yosaso mentioned making the background change every few levels. This will add more variety in the screen shots.
    Brewstermax was the first to mention using the accelerometer
    Kamazar came up with lots of good thoughts but the one that appealed most was hiding the control panel to make more screen space
    Coconutbowling mentioned better instructions and separate tutorial levels.

Thanks you guys I'll PM you a promo code.

Many people suggested power ups. Teleports, Color changers, death pieces, moving walls already exist in the game which is why I chose the idea of better instructions to make people aware of this.
    Global high scores probably won't suit this type game as there is no scoring. The medals are based on the minimum number of moves to complete a puzzle so I feel it is more of a personal challenge rather than a global one.
    Point taken about the graphics needing to look prettier. However, I had a graphics artist do Christmas Dynamate and sales of this didn't even cover his fees!

Thanks again to everyone
    Cheers
    Ivan

18. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Man, Ivan, I finally have had a good chance to play a good bit of this game. This is very comprehensive and inclusive. I don't think after for reviewing this game for several days now that there is much to improve on. I Love This Game! I don't think graphics need any improvements. Animations are cool. Gameplay is, for me, superb!

I really hope your game Dynamate gets some more exposure and players because this is a standout amongst the flood of similar "wannabees" out there.
    Thanks again for the excellent development and hard work put into this top notch title.

19. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    This game is fun. I love puzzle games, and this is different. I'm about to write an appstore review. This needs more exposure.

20. bone.rate

bone.rate Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009