How is everybody designing games for the Iphone and the graphics are so cool?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by CladCreations, Feb 27, 2009.

1. CladCreations

CladCreations Member

Feb 23, 2009
    What are they using ? As far as Graphics or is this all Code and and Images>? Im very new to all of this but i really would like to know.

2. Blaqkie

Blaqkie Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    It's basically all code that is used to tell the device to use which graphics and implement in a certain order. All according to the way it was programmed of course. :p

3. CladCreations

CladCreations Member

Feb 23, 2009
    cool how did they create the graphics like draw the pygmies and land ect.

4. GBX

GBX Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    what do you mean how?? The Iphone has a dedicated GPU, fairly powerful for most hand-held devices in north-america.. Its just like how ps3, xbox360 or psp have good graphics. Each have a limit depending on hardware limitations and the effort of the developer.

If you are asking about how games are general in made, that is kind of off-topic and you can find entire books about that heh =)

5. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    What he wants to know is how designers create graphics for their games.

The most common answer would be with Adobe Photoshop - which is considered to be the industry standard for 2D graphic design. If you can spend some time to learn it (not too hard of a task), then creating lovely visuals will come naturally.

6. Morti

Morti Well-Known Member

A lot of developers meanwhile use Unity (unity3d.com) as game development tool. Art-wise it depends on what the specific artist is used to, but mostly these are tool like 3DS Max, Cinema4D, Maya, Modo and of course Photoshop for image manipulation.

7. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    You can use Photoshop or 3DSMax to make your visuals but it still requires talent otherwise you end up with a mess.

8. jonathan_yotta

jonathan_yotta Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    App developer
    NYC
    If you are a programmer with little graphics experience, don't bother doing your own graphics. They'll most likely look subpar and it'll take you too much time to create anything halfway decent. Offer an artist 30% of your profits and focus on coding.

9. marc

marc Member

Dec 9, 2008
    University student
    Ontario, Canada
    2 part question, what program do u use to animate characters for games. Can it be done with the tools that comes within the iphone SDK, or do u need to use external programs like 3D max?

Also how do u build 3D looking game characters? Do u use photoshop or again do u need to use an external program like 3D max? :confused:

10. glowAndy

glowAndy Well-Known Member

as a graphic designer, i would recommend microsoft paint

11. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

You can use either 3DSMax or Maya. Some graphic artists swear Maya is better for characters. Here are some of our characters drawn with Maya.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Photoshop all the way. I'm a graphics designed and that's the best I've seen. As for 3D; any modeling program (even Sketch-Up Pro) will do. As long as it exports to a 3D file. Most conveniently would be a .3ds file. Then you need a good engine like Unity.

But for 2D just Photoshop and the SDK should do.

13. kuler51

kuler51 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    LOL! Best thing I've heard all day. Thanks for giving me a good hearty laugh:)
    I think notepad is better for graphics than paint is...

14. sweet - almost missed that. :)

15. marc

marc Member

Dec 9, 2008
    University student
    Ontario, Canada
    #15 marc, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    You can use either 3DSMax or Maya. Some graphic artists swear Maya is better for characters. Here are some of our characters drawn with Maya.

--Ok thanks, I was confused about how to make my characters look 3D animated on a 2D background instead of making them look plain papercut 2D. :p But isnt 3D Max and Maya for Windows only? I looked at the website and both programs only support Windows. Doesn't this create a barrier seen as iphone SDK is Mac only?

16. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    First you are going to need a whole lot of programming experience. Start off with a book.

17. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    And then paint for the coding then? lol...