Is Gameloft losing its edge to competition?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by weehoo, Dec 16, 2011.

1. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    #1 weehoo, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
    There has always been Gameloft haters in this forum. However, recently with the release of new indie titles that showcase mind-blowing graphics and the inclusion of big name devs, the anti-gameloft occupy freebie protesting is somewhat disheartening for a company that literally stole me away from my pc and ps3.

Some (+'s) for gameloft that the haters should know: /////////////////
    ------------------------------------------------------------

1. Remember it was gameloft that answered the mysterious question "can mobile games be like console games?" their success is directly responsible for EA, Activision, and Rockstar jumping into the mobile market. They also brought the first ps2 ports (driver, rayman2, P.O.P) to ios in 2009. That's what gta3 is. A ps2/pc game, albiet cleaned up really nicely with retina of course.

2. Gameloft still has the best FPS experience on the iPhone (MC3). Not just the best, but it has become the standard reference point to perfect custom controls. We all wish COD zombies or any FPS implemented Gameloft's controls. Not to mention Starfront being the absolute best RTS on iOS.

3. We don't know what Gameloft has up their sleeve. Maybe an Unreal Engine N.O.V.A 3. Even though 75%of their new games are crap, they still amaze me with what they're doing, especially with Order and Chaos.

4. Gameloft used to be all quality. Now they have 5 tiers for game quality and you need to know which is which.

-old games recycled to free with lame IAP. Ex: (brothers in arms)

-social/Freebee games with really lame IAP. Ex: (let's golf 3)

-tech demos that show off possibilities. Ex: (shadow Guardian)

-licensed games. Ex: (spiderman)

-Superb copycats that even the big developers can't compete with in terms of quality. This tier gets the full jalapeño in funding. Ex: (mc, nova, order and chaos series) Deadspace is exempt for comparison (only good Non-racer by EA).

My answer.… Not hardly.

2. Defiance211

Defiance211 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Gameloft is like an ancient civilization that has fallen, high and mighty at one point and now being over taken by small civilizations(indie developers). Seriously shadowgun was made by Madfingers, they have like 3 games right? Not to mention its a small developer of mobile games. Gameloft is huge in comparison and have been developing mobiles games for years, its absolutely ridiculous that gameloft isn't putting out quality titles anymore. They have so much experience with the ios and android platforms that they really shouldn't be releasing P.O.S games. So the answer to the question is yes, gameloft has completely lost its edge, i hope EA and indie developers take over with quality games. To sum it all up, EA and indie devs.=quality over quantity, Gameloft= quantity over quality.

3. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    If you can't beat them, join them.

4. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    i think that they should not release the fremium games. I think that they are better when the prices are more, but you get a more quality game. So yes, I think that Gameloft is loosing part of its edge, but defiantly not in FPS games.

5. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    its so sad, but gameloft has right to make money. and a lot of ppl discriminate gameloft, look at reviews about six guns in app store, this game is a sucess. the company has right to cater more people.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #6 backtothis, Dec 16, 2011
    Gameloft started the year off really well after having a great 2010. They were doing great up to Order & Chaos, which I still think is their most impressive title yet. There's no online game on the iOS that even comes close to the scale of O&C.

They had a terrible run during the summer months. Backstab and 9MM were mediocre, and Silent Ops and BB3 were just dreadful. Since then they've really taken off on ruining their sports games with freemium incorporation. Six-Guns was their first adventure to use the same pricing model, and it's trash. Dungeon Hunter 3 will be out next week as a freemium game as well. Somehow, I think that'll follow suit. Turning older games into freemium games and then pulling the original game from the AppStore is a pretty dreadful practice. Hope they stop doing that.

Thankfully though, they've given us MC3 and Tin Tin in the past few months, so we know Gameloft still has it in them. I'd have to say that Gangstar 3 is just mediocre though. I really hope that you're right about NOVA 3 being their first Unreal game. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with in 2012.

I actually got three Gameloft games with my first iTunes giftcard ever in January 2009: A4, HoS, and that Guitar Hero clone. Since then, I've bought 50+ games (including HD versions, that is, not 50 separate games) full price from them. I've always been a day one buyer. So yeah, they were one of the reasons I actually really fell in love with iOS gaming in the first place. I've never understood why people complain about them making clones of games. As long as they make them fun to play, it's fine. No one else would do it. Like you said, now that's changed. GTA III is stellar. Dead Space is stellar. The Bard's Tale is stellar. The list goes on.

I've been disappointed with them lately, but I have high hopes for them in 2012. They have the resources to bring out quality titles to the iOS. In any case, as far as online gaming on the iOS is concerned, no other developer comes close. Running O&C, NOVA 2, and MC3 lag-free is some pretty amazing stuff on a music player.

They've slowed down on quality releases, but I don't think they've lost their edge. It's just there are more big players now on the AppStore, which is a good thing.

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I think it's funny that there have been two threads in two days were people have mentioned Gameloft haters. It's a game company nobody hates them they are definitely losing their way though I think they fancy themselves as the next zynga I don't think they have much of a chance though.

Basicly I don't buy their games anymore because I just don't trust them not to turn them into freemium at a later stage I've better things to do than hate them and there are a ton of developers making better games at this stage so I don't miss them.

8. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    This I s a good point on the freemium topic, if people want it, let em make it. As much as it bugs the hell out of u just deal with it and wait for the next premium game to come along. It's obvious it's in demand since they keep making them. No need to trash people who play these games as "vampires" and so on and so forth.

9. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I'm just wondering one thing: Why does Gameloft only have a few games of high quality? MC3, Tin Tin, Hero of Sparta 1, NOVA 1, but. unfortunately, a lot of other stuff is crap. Can't Gameloft see with eyes that noone wants shit or freemium games? Can't they see that?

It seems like they're listening ONLY to the people that provide criticism to their more popular series. I'm not saying that is a bad thing but if they actually listened to other's opinions on their other series, their games/quality of their games would get better. It's no surprise that many people enjoy indie games instead of Gameloft games.

I do believe, however, that Gameloft is a great company. I do love their games such as MC3, HoS1, NOVA1 and DH2. Unfortunately, those games that I listed are only among a few of Gameloft's games. But, if a majority of your games noone likes, why continue making low quality games?

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Besides their sports titles, they don't have any other sequels except for the popular titles you listed. They're constantly "cloning" new games, so I don't think they're trying to make bad games. Freemium is an experiment for them, and I really hope it doesn't continue too far into 2012. It's hard to tell how successfully they're making money from the iAPs in these titles though. Who knows, it might be working. Just remember, the top grossing apps charts, any day of the year, are dominated by Farmville/iMafia clones. Someone's spending money on freemium games, and a lot of it at that.

11. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    They used to be the ultimate iOS developer, and now I don't care if they ever release another game again. Aside from 3 or 4 titles that are of high quality, the rest are reskinned TPS games, now with freemium menus all in your face, oftentimes needed to play the most essential parts of the game. Wanna clear this gap? Purchase a super jump, or die. Wanna take part in this firefight? Purchase some ammo. That's right, some consumable ammo, that you'll need to spend money on again later. I have better things to spend money on than video game ammo, so unless they return to their old ways of having you buy a game outright, I'm no longer a customer of theirs.

12. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    There are only 2 reasons left to be a Gamelft fan:

1. Modern Combat

2. Nova

When these 2 series die, Gameloft dies with them.

13. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    #13 Madman100, Dec 16, 2011
    It's funny how every Gameloft topic always has something to do with freemium. It's obvious a lot of people on the Internet don't like it. But like I said in my previous post, if people didn't want it they wouldn't make it. Maybe it's expanding their market, I have no clue. But free+ games seem to be a lot easier to pick up and play where you can get a short burst of fast, free fun. DH3 seems good for that and that's exactly what they explained in their short preview of the game. Whether you think the game looks fun or not is a personal opinion and can't be argued. In terms of it being a step down from the previous version, I don't think this is arguable either. They're essentially different types of games. The graphics and overall gameplay is a definite step up in quality but with the exclusion of a central story, like explained, it's catered more toward pick-up-and-play fun.

This is why I play freemium games. I hardly ever spend cash for these types of games unless it's really worth it.

Oh, God, please don't let me be trolled for this. It is my humble opinion and nothing more.

This may be a bit harsh. I'm confident they can create new popular IPs as well as continue old ones.

14. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    Hopefully Gameloft are throwing out the junk apps before 2012, when s*** gets real, otherwise, fatality.

15. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Gameloft used to be great. But now it's mediocre, and fading FAST.

They began strong because there weren't many console-ish games on the iOS. They took advantage by bringing Halo-esque/COD-esque/GTA-esque/etc games to the iOS platform with basically no creativity at all, and got away with it for the fact that their competition was slim.

Today, not so much. I don't think a reason needs to be given.

Their graphics have been consistently been worse than EA's, despite having the Unreal Engine at their disposal (correct me if I'm wrong). Many of their games are simply re-skins of former games with little major changes, and they've also switched to the freemium route recently. And we all know only a very select few games do freemium right.

Honestly, Gameloft should just stop thinking they're the big shots, because they aren't in a position to be. Their best interests now should be continuing supporting MC3, focus on releasing a high-quality NOVA 3 that is NOT a freemium, and continuing investing in Order & Chaos. They really released some mediocre games this summer and fall and I'd much rather them focus on a small handful of games rather than churn out crap and freemium.

EDIT: I should also mention that EA Daily Deals this year is REALLY making Gameloft's holiday "giveaway" last year looking real bad. Well, ANYTHING could've topped Gameloft's "giveaway" last year.

16. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    I do have faith. I better get some props for believing once they come up with something incredible and everyone takes back the comments of them dying, fading, never-purchasing-again, etc.

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    You're not the only believer.

18. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    You do realize tons of people would gladly pay for a full version game instead of some freemium bs?

19. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    You do realize he has a point?

Just sayin.

20. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Sadly, yes. There might be a "ton" of people willing to buy Six-Guns for $6.99 if it had turned out to be some lengthy story-driven adventure game, but there are infinitely more people that will download the game for free. Gameloft's goal is to earn a good profit, and if freemium is the price model that will give that to them, then the trend will continue. You just have to remember that TA accounts for a very small portion of the people who download games from the AppStore. Many people aren't willing to buy a iOS game that costs $7. Like I said, check the top grossing charts any day of the year, and freemium games will be what are bringing in the money. We can complain all we want to here, but if there are enough people buying the iAPs in Gameloft's games out there, they're going to make more.