Business Management Sims

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Piph, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    So, I'm currently trying to write a GDD for a comic shop sim management game idea that a friend and I have been toying with. As part of the research I'm doing for it, I'm trying to find as many good, even decent, examples of business management sim games as I can.

Off the top of my head, plenty of the Kairosoft games come to mind, Fiz has it's own interesting take on managing a brewery, and of course I'm familiar with some of the more casual sim games like Tiny Tower and Pocket Trains.

Any games in this genre that feature a particularly well made inventory, system, some form of space/furniture management gameplay, feature some form of interaction with employees, etc? Again, the game as a whole doesn't have to be amazing if you feel like a certain aspect of it just really shines.

Appreciate all the help!

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #2 ScotDamn, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    You could check out Smooth Operators. It's a call center sim. I enjoyed it quite a bit actually.

You're in charge of hiring employees for specific roles, such as managers, accountants, general customer service reps (I believe there are level 1 and level 2 call reps) IT techs, and janitors. You're in charge of workflow, hiring, pay wages and keeping employees happy. A lot of it comes down to keeping your employees productive.

3. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Wow, thanks! I've actually never heard of this one before, but having worked in a call center for a couple of years myself, I'd definitely be interested in seeing a game's take on the experience.

And honestly, this is exactly the kind of thing I've been hoping to find. It seems like all of the games I come across put most, if not all, of their focus on developing products rather than developing your workforce.

4. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Kairosoft's Grand Prix Story had me developing my workforce...

5. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    No problem. I unfortunately worked in a couple call centers in my past as well. :)

Definitely a cool game though. I know what you mean by developing the product oppose to the workforce. There's a definite lack of those type of games on the App Store. I really liked that aspect of control with Smooth Operators. Pretty cool stuff.

6. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I recently picked that game up. It is indeed fun. Not quite as in depth and more related to developing your race car. Good stuff though.

7. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Game Dev Story, for sure. :D

8. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    It KILLS me that Kairosoft has never translated Game Dev Story 2 and brought it to ios. Biggest mistake that company has ever made. I'm sure they're not idiots, but I can't imagine what's stopping them from bringing it over.

9. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    By the way, what're the thoughts on the other Kairosoft games, other than game dev story and dungeon village?

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I really enjoyed the shopping centre one, and Grand Prix Story. The soccer one was alright but I am bot that into soccer, so I stopped playing quickly.

11. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I would pay a ton for a copy of Railroad Tycoon 1 (the best one)
    I think it's top-down view would really suit the ipad, I'd buy it day one, would be happy to drop £30 on it too.

Firaxis.. Are you reading this?