iOS 8: so what about Game Center?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by saosijs, Jun 3, 2014.

1. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Some time ago there were rumors about the Game Center app disappearing from iOS 8, but now iOS 8 is officially announced I cannot find any updated news on what will happen (or if anything will happen) with GC. For sure lots of backend functionality must continue as too many existing apps depend on that (for example match making!) and as the idea that was reported was to leave functionality to the individual apps, I imagined that the game would be responsible for offering buttons to display leaderboards, achievements etcetera. Anyways, anybody here who knows or has seen something about this?

2. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Not sure where you heard the app was disappearing, but that is absolutely not true. Game Center continues to be a part of iOS and OS X, with the OS X version being completely revised and updated for Yosemite.

Apple has far more registered Game Center accounts than Sony has PSN accounts and Microsoft has Xbox Live accounts combined - believe me, it's not going anywhere.

3. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I forgot about GC on my iPhone, because I have this tweak which stops that annoying welcome banner from appearing every time I launch a game.

4. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    I had to Google a bit to see how good my memory was :), but it seems that in March this year many sites reported more or less the same. Example from 9to5mac: iOS 8: Apple considers Notification Center + Messages tweaks, removing Game Center app.

So to be clear, the rumors were about the app, not about, let's say, the framework. Still, even if it is only about the app, there are enough games that don't have an in-game GC button, that could trigger leaderboard or achievement popups from within the game.

For now, I assume that since there is no explicit news about this with the official iOS announcement, that nothing will change (the app will continue).

5. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Wow that guy was spot on in most of his predictions. I hope he got the entire game center thing wrong. Lol

6. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

It's like iOS 7 but better. (In a nutshell)

7. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    It's like iOS 7 Game Center "+1"? :D
    Where did you hear/see/find details on it?

8. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

#8 Anonomation, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    We all know no one is sure about it, but from what I've read up on so far Apple has 3 ways to with the app.

1.They can have the same old crappy game center that almost no one understands how to use.

2. They can upgrade the already existing app, having more compatibility, or even a whole new thing all together. I've read from some sources that iPhones with MFi controllers will be able to be used by devs for iPad and Mac games.

3. Many say that Game Center will disappear. Achievements and other features presented in the app will be taken are of by the game itself, such as in game achievements.

I think that apple can go any way at this point. Although I also think that they should have spent more time on it. There's a few months before it's inevitable release, so we'll see what this will turn out to be soon enough.
    My guess was that it's pretty much iOS 7 but better. From recent experiences, that's my opinion of the changes. Apple had never cared to work on or explain Game Center before.

9. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Good riddance, if it goes.

10. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Game Center as it is at its present state is a badly implemented good idea. I've had lots of achievements that did not sync when earned offline, you can't send messages to your friends etc. Apple need to work on their priorities since the main sell of their devices is gaming. They could have layed out a structure for gamers, but I think it also has to do with game devs who aren't willing to spend time on coding and such.

11. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    People do not buy iPhones for gaming....

Imo, Apple needs to completely redesign and redefine Game Center like what they're doing to iPhoto on OS X Yosemite.

But Apple has bigger priorities now.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont agree with that, everyone i know love iphones due to the way they work with the apps and also the huge ton of games available. You only have to hear the number of games downloaded every year to realise its hugeeee.

Granted there is a proportion who probably use it just as a phone but i wouldnt say 100% that people do not buy phones for gaming.

As for game centre i dont mind if it goes at all, not interested in points against people i've never met

13. iMacJaz

iMacJaz Active Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Student/Financial Industry
    I love the idea of GameCenter and it totally makes sense, gaming is just more fun when it is competitive. I spent hours on BF3 (PC) because of stats in Battlelog and I thought that was well integrated, a great experience and totally fun with friends.

Has anyone played Letterpress? I've noticed their integration into GameCenter is quite cool, having "your turn" notifications coming through there instead of the App itself.

14. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    Well it seems like you actually agree with me?

Your stating that people buy iPhones for a variety of reasons which was what I was implying. I have never heard or seen anyone buy an iPhone just for getting a game. They either love the way it works, like the design, the ecosystem, specs, etc. Honestely they have to be crazy to get an iPhone (and pay a monthly data fee) just to play games on it.

I think your point was saying that I said 100% do not buy iPhones for gaming. Sure while I have never seen/heard a person choose an iPhone just for getting a game, there probably is some poor, clueless person who did so.

That being said, I was just generally answering to the guy who said
    I don't think that statement is true at all mainly because 1) Apple's priorities are not in gaming 2) People don't buy iPhones because of what games it has

15. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    I beleive for Letterpress (which is a great game), it uses a built-in notification system made for turn-based games. I think that was introduced in iOS 6.

16. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Agreed. I love scoring points on Game Center as do some others. I checked and there are about 288 million GC accounts. As far as achievements go, I have over 152K points and I've never jailbroken any device. There are people on this website that have more points than I do, and they are more into the leaderboards aspect. The points have nothing to do with my ego. Others who have a couple of million points who seemed to find a way to manipulate the app...Well that might not be the case.

To each his own.

17. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    #17 nemerleb, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    I didn't talk about why people purchase iPhones/iPads?
    I wonder how people actually read comments...
    I talked about how Apple is SELLING their devices, and never mentionned how people react to that.
    We all know they want to take over the gaming market (and are succeeding at that whether we like it or not), and this is seen through apple gaming conventions, pushing controllers, marketing around that idea.
    So yes gaming has become an important (if not THE most important) marketing strategy of Apple; when Angry Birds first got huge, think of all the people who said "OMG I want this game so I'll get a smartphone".
    So my point still stands, if Apple plays its cards right, they can transform GameCenter into a successful hub for gamers and build a striving community.

18. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I originally got an iPhone to use as a phone, then I discovered the AppStore and all it has to offer, so my next device for gaming will be iPhone/iPad.