Gamepad attachment to future iteration of iPhones: Yes or No

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SpaceJunk, Dec 27, 2009.

?

Gamepad attachment to future iteration of iPhones: Yes or No

1. Yes, I like it hard and tactile!

30 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. No, elegance is simplicity!

47 vote(s)
    61.0%
  1. SpaceJunk

SpaceJunk Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    #1 SpaceJunk, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
    Should the future iPhone have an option for an external gamepad (dpad, analog sticks, face buttons) that can be attached to the device?

All action-oriented games or any game that utilizes a virtual pad and buttons for that matter would benefit from this.

The key is to make its use optional for any game that supports it, because we don't want to carry the pad around everywhere like dorks.

2. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I personally wouldn't buy it, I don't think it would add much to the gameplay, and personally I like the controls the way they are now. I guess some people might want a external controller but I say if you want that go get an xbox or something, something with better games and a bigger screen. Not to mention, youd also need somesort of stand for it, unless the controll attached to the itouch and supported it.

3. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    at first, i really want to see one
    but now,with all the games released this year
    i think there is no need for that now
    games that just needs those are limited
    others can be controlled with touch controls well
    anyway, if they do my idea to have separate sides
    maybe it'll do ;)

4. SpaceJunk

SpaceJunk Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Holy indifference

5. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    If anything, I'd like to see an attachable gamepad, not a built in one. Somewhat like the iControlPad if that ever comes out... It would make games with virtual controls that much easier, but having it come on the iDevice may take away some incentive to continue working on touch screen specific controls, possibly causing the loss of games that have been praised for controls, such as Spider.

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    #6 Kamazar, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
    I'm kinda leaning towards no. If a third-party instead of Apple releases one, it pretty much opens the floodgates for any other company that wants a crack at making a game pad. That means developers would have to choose which ones to support, and which not to. In a nutshell, no single game pad will be supported by all games. Secondly, who says devs will want to add in that support? They're use to just using the screen and accelerometer as controls. It's more work coding it so that game will work seamlessly with the controller. Everyone has a screen, that's pretty much a no brainer, but less than 30% will actually buy a game pad (most users serious about gaming'll just get a portable console), so what's the point?

Edit: Gah, I just realized I misread the question. Eh, my paragraph is still a decent, though slightly irrelevant argument. Realizing what you actually asked, no way would I want built in buttons. This is simple and sleek. With buttons, there's a greater chance that something'll get in the grooves or that something'll get just plain f***ed up. Happens with everything mechanical.

7. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

I wanted one until Gameloft made FPS work. However I would still be interested in one if it was thin and attached to the back of the phone and the buttons slide out. I could see myself using it for a "big" game on an airplane or car trip or something

8. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    are there already some accessories being developed that will be connected through the dock connector?
    I like the way the iPod looks on its own, really thin and sleek and shiny and simple

9. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    I'd only use one if it was for home use only and if it had a receiver that connected the games to a big screen. That's the only reason I'd ever want a control pad on my Touch, otherwise, I'm good the way it is. I've never had any problems with how the games control.

10. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    i'd only be interested if it had its own battery and could charge the device. otherwise it's pointless... the iphone would run out of battery even faster and you probably wouldn't be able to charge with it on.

11. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    I really hope that the iPhone never gets an attachment for games. I love the simplicity of the iPhone, and as previously mentioned by other people, Gameloft was able to make the virtual controls work awesomely in NOVA and Sandstorm.

Summary: No physical controls, please.

-My $0.02

12. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Just to play devil's advocate here, why not have both? I don't think having a control-pad attachment would take away from the simpler games and apps, or those that utilize the iphones capabilities in the first place. I think there are enough dev's, games/apps on itunes, and enough different types of gamers that a control pad could easily co-exist with the rest.

13. iStephen

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    This could definitely happen. However, (obviously this is just my opinion) the iPhone's elegance comes from its simple form factor. Why add confusion? I can't believe i'm saying this but just buy a PSPgo if you want buttons. :)

14. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    yeah the sleekness and elegance is what I really like about it too. I'm happy with it the way it is but I know a lot of people really want that console experience or tactile feedback for platformers, etc. I don't think it will really hurt anything. I do think we'll be seeing them one day, whether the iControl Pad or something else, so I think it will be interesting to see how it turns out and what games adopt it.b

15. iStephen

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    Agreed.

16. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    wow, i misread the question too :D
    of course the next generations of iPhone should not have buttons
    that's a crap idea
    maybe iControlPad will do(the first design not the current :p)
    but as i said,iGaming is for touch controls for a unique gaming experience ;)

17. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    No! It would probably too expensive anyway.

18. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    It could be fun, say if it attached through the dock and supported the back of the phone and located the pad dropped down from the screen in landscape. Almost like a ds if it did t fold or have a bottom screen. But only way I think it would work well is if say, gameloft made it and intended on making it work with all thier games. It would be fun and only way I could see it being more than a novelty item. But I believe apple would only let it work if apple made it.

19. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Physical keys are sooooo yesterday ;)

20. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Instead of a gamepad, what I`d like is that the touch screen extends beyond the visible screen portion of the iDevice. That way we can have onscreen dual analog sticks (or buttons) which arent visible on screen, saving precious screen space and making sure that the fingers dont block the screen too much.

Palm pre uses this type of extended touch screen but apple applied for such a patent way before pre (and even iPhone itself) was announced.

[​IMG]
    http://www.macrumors.com/2006/10/26/video-ipod-patent-pictures-and-touch-sensitive-bezel/

This patent image shows the complete bezel as touch screen. But I`ll be more than happy if they just extend it to the top and bottom only ;)