How much have you spent on IAP?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Papa Deuce, May 31, 2013.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I go back to the first iTouch.... Have had about 6 of them and also this iPad mini. I just now - like 3 minutes ago - made my first ever IAP.

So over all that time.... $2.

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    #2 saansilt, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
    Bar none.
    I do find $99.99 in apps funny tough.
    Seeing sucha high price for these.
    So what did you buy?

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #3 JBRUU, May 31, 2013
    I think about $20 in the past 2+ years.

Edit: oh, and Walking Dead episodes, which ran me another $20. So $40 in total.

4. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Gems for dragonvale.... My kids and I share a game.

5. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Most expensive was the "season 1" pass for Pinball Arcade @ $29.99. But since I haven't bought any tables before, this pack added I think 22 tables. Some are fun and some are just on to me..but such a good value! :)

That said..I've only bought IAP for additional content or just as a thank you for devs. Never bought a consumable IAP to "cheat".

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Most times i spent on IAP is to unlock the rest of the game, or game content, or doublers...

That goes for almost every runner game i have which has doublers involved.

I also spend IAP on unlocking chapters and expansions in games like Telltale episodic adventure games, Drakerider, Ghost Trick and Phoenix Wright are some prime and expensive examples.

IAPs are also bought when they expand the game's content like the costumes in Demons' Score, the characters and extra scenario in Warhammer Quest, the costumes in Apocalypse Max (these didnt feel worth it though, as they break game balance and made the game too easy), Zen Pinball (the tables), Phoenix HD (the ships) & 100 Rogues are what i could remember.

As far as consumable IAPs are concerned, the most i got was a present from my wife which was a $20 IAP for Iron Man 3, then other than that, i bought one $4 IAP for Pixel People as a gift for my wife (it was on sale that time, and that was all she needed to complete the Jobs collection), $5 on Heroes & Castles, and I believe it was $5 to be able to afford a skin in ARC Squadron. These are the only ones i know i've bought consumable IAP for.

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    10 bucks on Alchemy Synth pro pack...
    A few Pinball Arcade tables
    Quite a few Zen Pinball tables
    Nano Studio extra tracks unlock
    Caelestis unlock
    Some other stuff, probably. I'll purchase expansions, not coins.

EDIT: every Playdek expansion

8. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    $1 max and mabe payed for 10 iaps total that were addons to a game (playdek, zen etc) and not bullcrap unlock levels/power ups.

9. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    i think i have spent between 20-30$, 90% going to playdek for expansions and the other 10% to neuroshima hex

10. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Exact just reminded me... I bought my wife a $10 card for FarmVille about 3 years ago.... So $12, not. $2.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Probably this, but it's about to go up once I've finished the main storyline of Warhammer Quest.

12. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #12 september, May 31, 2013
    Roughly $60, all have been expansions - no gimmicks, coin doublers, consumables, coin packs or horse armour.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Tons on in-game unlocks, with Phoenix Wright being the most recent. A few on doublers, but I don't do consumables. Not in a million years.

14. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Farmville would be grounds for divorce for me.

15. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    QFT. Oh yeah, I forgot about Ace Patrol...the British campaign. Which essentially turns it from a demo into a game.

I don't like unlocking trials, usually. I'm much more likely to leave a game be that is iap unlock only. I prefer a "lite" and a full version.

16. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I still can't believe that the very first, IIRC, addon for Oblivion was freakin' horse armor.

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Since I got my first Phone (the 4, upon release) I spent IAP on:

Coin Doublers: Ski Safari, Worm Run, Punch Quest, Super Mole Escape and Jetpack Joyride until they sky rocketed and became 5$... at this price, will not buy them anymore.

New modes: Tilt to Live Viva la Turret and its multiplayer component, EDGE Extended extra levels (later became free), Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin Dog Eat Dog level pack and WIMW Swampy level pack. This I can keep buying.

Also made two 1$ donations to Punch Quest. I got those items that I never used in exchange. Never doing it again.

Remove ads for Dead Ahead, only.

And the only consumable I ever bought was 5$ for Ski Safari (and I deeply regret it because that money, well most of it its still there and I could do that by playing, just was really hooked at that time and wanted to support it like crazy, also called an impulse buy...). Will not buy this things ever again. Burnt that all games relies on this now, made me hate this kind of IAP.

Thats it. Overall maybe a total of 15$ or a little bit more. And maybe Im forgetting something but I doubt it.

18. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Jetpack joyride - £2.99
    Punch quest - £1.49
    Phoenix Wright - £12
    Subway surfers coin doubler - £2.99
    That's all the IAPs I've bought so far

19. lisianne

lisianne Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Somewhere else
    #19 lisianne, May 31, 2013
    First, I don't see consumables as "cheats" & neither do the devs for that's how they earn their living for the most part, with these newer or updated games. Personally, though, I think consumables are an ongoing temptation to waste one's money & I avoid them like the plague.

However, if a game is critical to someone's enjoyment, there's probably little difference between spending $30 for a movie with a friend or $50 on dinner or spending the same amount for consumables, plus the latter lasts longer, I'm guessing.

With Pocket Frogs, I spent $10 all in all for two non-consumable items. With no non-consumable items in Tiny Tower or Pocket Planes, I volunteered, if you will, $5 for each (for bux I didn't need) as thanks to the devs for a well-made, engaging game. That makes $20 total.

Now, I carefully read the review & IAP list (if any) with any new app/game I'm thinking of getting. Mostly I'm not tempted to even d/l.

20. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    In the past 2-3 years, probably $5. When I first started dragon vale I bought a gem pack.