John Mad Run (Happymagenta) - endless scroll shooter

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Happybyte, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    #1 Happybyte, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Hi, there!

John Mad Run is the free (completely, NO IAP) version of our upcoming Joan Mad Run, probably the project some of you heard about. John has been just approved by Apple and will be released into public very soon after the final testing.

[​IMG]

It includes the new character John, two new exclusive locations (sewers and metro) tied into an endless overcrowded with mobs hardcore level. Get ready to taste the upcoming game for free. Shoot your way through enemies, unlock the double sharp sabre and the incredible powerful laser gun with laser flare.

[​IMG]

Watch the video - tell what you think, especially about the SLO-MO part :)

2. noah0706

noah0706 Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    A mowing business
    Kannapolis, NC
    Thanks for the code! This game is so much fun, its kinda like a blend of Jetpack Joyride, and Strike Force Heroes: Extraction. Really good game and runs very smooth on my iPod 5

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Yes, thanks for the code! The pixels look sooo good in this. Much sleeker than the Joan beta. And the kills are way cooler now too.

4. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Plan for release day?

5. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Sent you the code too :)

I don't see a reason for delaying this one for long. If all goes well, then it will go public in a few days. We made it specially to provide earlier access to a limited game version.

The full game, although lot of things are already done, needs couple more months work to add not yet done features:
    - cross-platform co-op multiplayer
    - character customization
    - weapon customization and crafting workbench
    - pet companions
    - morphing into werewulf/vampires
    - two more type of weapons
    - even more levels/locations and enemies

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Will the weapon upgrades in the full version work the same way as they do in this? Or will it be a completely different system?

7. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Different - there will be an option to change weapon components for some more customization - for example changing color crystals in lightsaber/plasmasword or laser to change it's color to your taste and so on.

8. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    How do you guys, who got the promo code, find the game controls?

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Just wanted to make sure-- you got my email in regards to this, correct?

10. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Yes, got it after posting :) We tried arrows and buttons, but it's not that dynamic then.

11. noah0706

noah0706 Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    A mowing business
    Kannapolis, NC
    I found the controls to be awesome, very responsive

12. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I'd like a code if you have any more to spare.

13. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I've been testing Joan and John continues that game's level of polish and fun. The swipe controls are simple and responsive, the guns and their gory effects are the highlights, and the pixel style is great. A nice taste of the full game.

14. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    First thing i'm going to say is i'm pretty picky and honest, but I do want to share some ideas that in my opinion would really make the game more enjoyable with a ton of replay value.

Initial Impressions
    -------------------

Wonderful graphics

Gameplay speed is good

responsive controls (although some times when jumping up i feel there is a delay when trying to shoot).

Cool sound effects and music.

Thoughts
    --------

Simple thing, when you touch the sceen to start it's very non-eventful or fulfilling, it should do something, make some sort of "snap" noise, screen shake -- something.

Not able to pause and quit / return to menu, add that option in.

Add a quick review screen once you've died to show what you've collected.

BONUS! allow the player to somehow get to a bonus round where you break through the top layer and go outside, (maybe strap a jetpack on them for a slightly different play experience -- tap and hold to boost and let off to decend) and fly around to collect coins and bonuses before time runs out and you break through the ground again and return to normal play.

Replayability
    -------------

You want this game to be more than something you play for a few hours then never touch it again, right? While you will have many more weapons in the final build which will take time to collect, die hards will get them all quickly and then wonder what else to do. Other people will be bored and not want to grind coins to progress, they may give up.

In addition to all the weapons you have planned, I believe you should figure a way to randomize new weapon types (similar perhaps to Borderlands) so there is always something to strive for. Perhaps you can only keep 50 weapons or some # at a time so you may have to give up one to get another. Having an endless supply of weapons and collectables is key to replay value. An example of this would be Devious Dungeon, what a great and fun game -- but I finished all of the missions in a few hours and had nearly all of the cool to collect items not long after. Great game, but there is nothing more to keep me hooked, so I deleted it. You need to keep people hooked.

An idea on how to do that would be collectable items, trinkets, clothing etc - people like to collect stuff, even if it serves no purpose other than collecting. Make hundreds of cool, pixely perfect items to collect randomly throughout your journey, and keep a log book of them so you can see what you've found, with a little description. Maybe some only come out at certain hours, maybe when you hit a certain score, collect x man coins in a row without missing, 10 hit combo, etc... make easter eggs and other neat things like that so the whole game will take months to collect 100% of the items.

The game is great, and you have an amazing base to grow from but I don't want it to be something I play for a few hours and never again, you've killed it with graphics and overall feel, but you need that addiction aspect of it, i just don't feel like that is there playing the demo.

Finally
    -------

I'm not sure what model you've decided on for the final build, but i'll tell you this, do not only make it free to play. I and many others are turned away by that. If I see a single ad, im deleting the game. However, if you do want to make it ad based, then give a $2.99 or so (you figure out a price that works) option of disabling the ads, which I would happily pay for. Please, please, please do not ruin a beautiful game like this with ugly, annoying and frustrating ads.

I think this game has HUGE potential, but think about making it addicting, perhaps endlessly addicting by randomizing weapons and or items to keep the player hooked.

A few more thoughts!
    --------------------

gesture based items, if you pick up lets say a nuke, you have to draw a circle on the screen to drop it and take out all enemies. or maybe use two fingers to swipe down to drop it...things like that.

Customize your character with the items you find to change appearance. Armor, hats, boots, gun camo, etc. The more the better. You don't need all of these things for the first release, but think about adding it in, or starting with simple customization.

Good luck with everything, this has the potential to really be a stand out game, maybe even the best of it's kind. I truly believe that.

15. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Thanks all for your impressions - they are motivating :)

The main game already has more and will have much more, that will take more time, given that we are working on it for almost a year already.

That's why we are releasing the short free game so people who are waiting for it could feel the upcoming.

This is the feature list for the main game:
    - single-player / multi-platform co-op multiplayer
    - speedy breakneck gameplay with brutal boss battles and hardcore soundtrack
    - two or more customizable characters
    - dozens of meticulously designed weapons – from shotgun and katana to monomolecular wire and satanic pighead-gun
    - exquisite and spectacular death effects: cut, explode, burn, freeze, melt, incinerate, squeeze, send to - hell and use even more unique torture methods
    - weapon crafting workbench that will allow to create stunning weapon combos
    - plethora of atmospheric locations with over 50 callous enemies to test your limits
    - dynamic environments with shader-based light and particle effects
    - lots of secrets to unveil - secret levels/rooms/corridors, unique items and easter eggs
    - procedurally generated levels
    - supports many game controllers
    - use your mobile phone as a wireless controller over WiFi
    - natively stream game video and audio to compatible TVs and media centers over network
    - play on desktop and on the go on PC/Mac/Linux/iOS/Android (progress synced across your computers and devices)
    - will support all US/EU/AP major languages

16. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    And definitely this free version won't stay so short forever - we'll be adding more as the main game gets developed.

17. blue rocket

Nov 27, 2013
    I definitely understand this is just a taste of the real game... Just trying to think of what would make this my own favorite iOS game! Keep up the great work!

18. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Got it :) Will do! In addition answering your post I can say the final game will be premium without IAP. This free version will stay with more content.

19. blue rocket

Nov 27, 2013
    Best news I have heard all day!

20. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Same here. :D