Recommend a great game for a 90s gamer

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by memphis12, Sep 5, 2013.

1. memphis12

memphis12 Member

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm an old school gamer who needs a great game on my ipad that will kerp me interested for a long timd. Xcom 96, Fallout 2, Baldurs Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights, FF7, Planescape are some of my favourite games.

I've recently just had to give up playing Order & Chaos mmo. One best games I've played but it was taking over my life and my family came first lol. I can play any other game for a long period of time but mmos change me somehow.

I'm looking for a game that is challenging (I get bored if I'm not challenged) that lasts a long time, had a lot if depth and preferably loot & skills etc. I'd also be interested in a huge space management sim or a settlers type game. I hate pay to win games as well.

The games I have for my iPad are:
    KOTOR (burned out)
    Baldurs Gate 2 (waiting for BG2 or patch .. Whichever comes first)
    Aralon
    Iesabel (to easy)
    Walking Dead (can't get into right now)
    Tiny Heroes

Star Command is what I've just downloaded but just couldn't get into it just now. I have 1000/1000 for Xcom 2012 on Xbox so no need to get on here (inn case someone suggested that)

I also like the old zelda games on nes.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    A strategy game, perhaps? Warhammer Quest, Lead Wars, Cubemen 2, Frozen Synapse, Ace Patrol?

3. Gilgilad

Gilgilad Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    #3 Gilgilad, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    Seems like you like many of the same kind of games I like. Yeah after playing WoW for a couple years I made a sacred vow never to play a MMORPG ever again since it was very unhealthy for me. Now the only multiplayer games I play are strategy related or short PvP arena type games.

As far as good RPGs, here are a few I have played you might like:

Silver Nornir (I have heard most other JRPGs by Kemco are also good and about equal in length although vary in style and theme some)
    Avernum 6 (Western RPG, top down party based. There are actually others in this series as well and not really sure which comes first. If you like Baldur's Gate you might like this.)
    Silversword (This is inspired by late 80s/early 90s style party based dungeons and dragons like RPGs like Wizardry, Might & Magic, Bard's Tale)
    Chaos Rings by Square-Enix and its sequels (3D JRPG, closest thing to FF7 on app store other than FF1 through FF5)

I play mainly strategy and RPG games but if you like PvP arena games (MOBA), you should check out Solstice Arena and/or Heroes of Order and Chaos.

A genre of simulation games that I was surprised I really like were several of the Kairosoft games, mainly Dungeon Village and GameDev Story.

Strategy games: Hunters 2, Warhammer Quest, RAVENMARK: Scourge of Estellion, Autumn Dynasty

My favoritist game on ios: King of Dragon Pass. Man this game rocks.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #4 undeadcow, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    It sounds like we have some similar tastes in games.

Here are my recommendations for a dedicated gamer with a fondness for strategic and role playing games that are challenging + content rich:

Kingturn - meaty strategy role playing games that focuses on base acquisition with adjustable difficulty settings.
    The Quest Gold - starting to get dated, but a comprehensive first person dungeon crawler.
    Palm Kingdoms II Deluxe - a Heroes of Might and Magic clone.
    King of Dragon Pass - text based RPG management sim hybrid '99 PC game port.
    Lords of Midnight - wargame/adventure '84 Specturm remake.
    Knights of Phantom Castle - a micro real time strategy RPG hybrid.
    Aliens Versus Humans - a turn based strategy X-com clone.
    Mission Europa - a challenging "first person shooter" with deep character customization and western RPG elements.
    Fall of Angels - a jrpg with compelling story and adventure game style puzzles.
    Cavern - a roguelike with procedurally generated floors.
    Wazhack - a sidescrolling roguelike with deep loot system and a metroidvania style dungeon (with ability to jump, levitate, etc gives you horizontal strategy options).
    Star Traders RPG - this is your space management sim, it's about resource acquisition and trading to upgrade your ship to find more resources and explore a 2D map.
    Gurk III - this might seem a little casual but there's a lot of material and the combat system has a turn based strategy approach that is interesting.
    Starbase Orion - a 4x space exploration sim; adjustable difficulty.
    I second Silversword, that game is enjoyable and filled with content.

5. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    I also fall into 90s gamer category and you do seem to have similar taste in games like me and are not scared to try other genres.

RPG category

Lunar Silver Star Story Touch -one of best JRPG from 90s , very story oriented and almost no grinding is necessary to play and enjoy it
    Final Fantasy IV - you did mention Chaos Rings is closest thing to FFVII, I beg to differ, this remastered DS version of FF IV is THE real closest thing , not to mention it's one of best iterations in FF franchise
    Other reccomended RPGs : Knights of Pen & Paper ( retro RPG with pixel graphic) , Lords of Midnight, Organ Trail, Palm Kingdoms 2, Dungeon Plunder ( roguelike with slot mechanic ) , Saturday Morning RPG, Sword of Fargoal ( classic roguelike ), Dragon Fantasy ( pure NES / old school RPG experience, it's $8 currently though; Guardian Saga might be a good replacement for classic NES RPG experience at lower price of $2 )

If you like arcade / adventure games, there is a huge number of retro ports and retro indie games : Raiden Legacy ,Metal Slug( 1, 2, 3 and X ), Alien Breed , Another World, Mutant Mudds, Dragons Lair, Road Blaster, Plasma Sky , Blazing Star, Avenging Spirit, MANOS, Syder Arcade, bit dungeon ( Zelda like endless dungeon roguelike ), MUKS
    Also all Telltale games in App Store ( point and click adventures ported from PC - Sam and Max, Tales from Monkey Island, Jurassic Park, Puzzle Agent... )
    And of course original Monkey Island 1 , 2 ,Broken Sword remastered, Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded.

Ascendancy is 4X management space game port PC game

Strategy games : Legion ( port from old PC game ) , Z the game ( same, and it has been updated with multiplayer recently ), Warlords

If you liked Kairosoft games, try newest one - Dream House days, looks excellent on iPad and very addictive
    If you like Sci-fi and boardgames , look into Eclipse, but be warned it's a fairly complex game

Honorable indie mentions that look gorgeous on iPad 4 screen : World of Goo, Little Inferno, Kingdom Rush

6. memphis12

memphis12 Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry was a few words that had extra letters in etc, I was just nodding off when I decided to write my post lol.

I have just briefly glanced at the posts, but nice to see gamers with same taste as myself. I will read back properly now & see what I can try out and get back to you.

I forgot to mention I have Final Fantasy IV .. Was a little disappointed to find out this game wasn't true turn based. Maybe FF7 wasn't (it was that long ago) but I was sure it was.

Rift was my first mmo love. I could play that game all day & night & never get bored. I obviously would have lost my fiancé & kids lol, so I chose family. Then came Tera, then GW2 & finally Order & Chaos. .. As my fiancé pointed out I dived into these games when I was; moving house, having a new baby, having our second child, going through transition at work. They are good at making you forget .. But you tend to forget your real life completely. I have no will power :( so no more mmos for me.

Right, sorry .. Going to read through all games, check reviews on them and try them out :)

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Might be more late 80's rather than 90's but 9th Dawn is superb. Its like an old skool Ultima game but with a touch of arcade controls (much better fighting). Lots of missions, tons of loot, this is a great game to have a quick burst here and there

8. memphis12

memphis12 Member

Feb 27, 2013
    #8 memphis12, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    Out of all the games I've looke at from all the suggestions .. This one looks the most promising.
    Can I spend a lot of hours in this game?
    Turn based?
    Is there a difficulty option as I need it to be challenging?

Thanks in advance. (At £1.99 ill probably of bought this the time you have replied lol)

Edit: Just checked the forums and this game is apparently very unbalanced. Dying with a mage is very hard to die & no one seems to know where to go for quests. I played Divinity 2 with this concept and it worked great .. But I'm not sure this will be the same.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I quite like this as it doesnt 'hold your hand', you have to explore and find missions etc. Some games i like turn based combat, this isnt, its more action when its combat.

The fighter i would say is the best character, theres lots of small sub missions and a 'main' storyline. But also exploring and looting and getting better weapons by levelling up. But like i say theres no hand holding or arrows telling you where to go for quests.

In that thread the vast majority of people loved this game, i had tons of hours of fun with it, i've completed the main quest but its great exploring and finding new areas etc.

10. memphis12

memphis12 Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Psj3809 .. Is it challenging though? A few posts said looting was pointless as you were too over powered anyway?

11. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    #11 dbagga84, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    Check out extraction, it's fun and can be played with 1 finger. It's a top down action game where you take on missions and you tap to move, swipe across enemies to start shooting, it's a zombie game. Between missions you can spend points to upgrade and buy new weapons. It's easy but fun. There are iap but they aren't required, only if you want to be strong faster otherwise no need to spend anymore real money, I believe it's $1.99. The strategy is, is to swipe across the enemies in the right order to make yourself more successful upon entering a room and once you swipe it's all about moving, never stay in 1 place. I'll post the link in a minute, I gotta go find one lol.

I hope this works, my safari is acting up so I wasn't able to check it, here's the link to extraction
    http://www.google.com/url?q=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/extraction-project-outbreak/id459043666%3Fmt%3D8&sa=U&ei=glgrUsSRGKOMigKxpoG4DQ&ved=0CBAQFjAC&sig2=YLAU1B0UoNlaYMqi66vH9Q&usg=AFQjCNFJVljNuW8iaJR3OSu_s5QTJ5x1Vw

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Kemco RPGs are highly recommended.

Since you mentioned being addicted to Order and Chaos, i'd suggest trying out Heroes & Castles which has more of a defense twist in addition to the action RPG gameplay similar to O&C.