Downloading games directly from the app store

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by gtcharlie, Oct 26, 2009.

1. gtcharlie

gtcharlie Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    What do people think about downloading games and game updates directly from the appstore onto their phones? I have read in a couple of places this can cause problems with corrupted downloads and to only do the downloading directly from itunes on your computer and then sync the device. Is this a myth or fact?

2. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I always download games from my touch and never have witnessed a problem with that. Maybe once or twice I've had to download it from my computer because I lost wifi connection and that made my touch freak out.

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I download the directly onto my iPod. If something goes wrong, I just restart my device and it will restart the download! Everything's working fine! :) ;)

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I like downloading from my iTouch because when you click the update button there it tells you exactly what is new for that update. On the computer it doesn't and the game description may or may not include the information I have found.

5. gtcharlie

Dec 30, 2008
    One of the reasons I was asking was my backups were taking forever and one of the sites said one of the causes of this was problems caused by directly using the appstore on your phone. I think I have isolated the problem though and it is due to a couple of apps (appsniper and mbox for hotmail). Deleting those apps has solved the problem at least for now.

6. Der-Kleine

appsniper? thanks for saying that, if I ever have to restore & backup I'll delete that. :eek:

7. gtcharlie

Dec 30, 2008
    If you google appsniper you'll see I am not the only one who has had a problem with it as far as backups go.

8. Der-Kleine

Well it's not the thing I'd google for! :p

9. I've never experienced these problems, maybe I've just been lucky?

10. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I found That if I connect my iPod once a day, the backup times are less than a minute. If I wait a week or more, the backup times are mind numbingly long.

11. MuFFz

MuFFz Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I download my apps and updates from the iPod Touch all the time, and never have a problem. Only sometimes when the application doesn't want to download, then i just have to download from my computer. But that hasn't happen in a very longgg time. =]

12. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    The problem is that app syncing with iTunes is quite crappy, if you have downloaded 100 apps directly on the device and then want to install one additional app with iTunes then it's first backing up your 100 apps onto the PC/Mac before it uploads the single new app.

13. Nascor

Nascor Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Free Apps I download on my Ipod, paid on the PC....I've got no backup-time problem, I sync my ipod the most times only, if my battery is "out of fuel"