Angry birds update

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Jaeff, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Jaeff

Jaeff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Selfemployed gamedeveloper
    Denmark
    #1 Jaeff, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    What are your predictions concerning the new angry birds update? In the new update they have added inApp purchases of powerups. These powerups simply makes the game easier for everybody and they doesn't affect the score.

As a gamer I would be annoyed if somebody could get the same score as me while having an easier time clearing the level. Do you think that the average ios gamer will care?

Have other games done the same? - Premade levels/puzzles with inapp that makes them easier?

*Edited* -added more questions* :)

2. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

My prediction is they will make a lot more money. All of your other questions have been a hot topic for discussion around here. Look around.

Welcome to the forum :)

3. Jaeff

Jaeff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Selfemployed gamedeveloper
    Denmark
    Thanks for the welcome. :)

I have been playing around with the search function and I haven't found any good threads about the issue. If you know any I would appreciate some links.

4. Balloon Loons

Balloon Loons Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    There will always be people who bitch and complain about in app purchases overall. You can't keep everyone happy. What matters is rovios bottom line. If they make more money that's all they care about. Wouldn't you?

5. ImperialPenguin

Jun 20, 2011
    Programmer
    Virginia
    I've been wary to jump full on into the IAP market for the same reason, as a gamer I would dislike the fact that some people just buy their way to success.
    It's really something that the market did to itself though, when people are willing to pay twice as much for a cup of coffee as they are for a game, there needs to be a way to increase the revenue beyond the $0.70-1.40 that you can make off of each person.
    I think IAP is the best way to capitalize both on the people willing to drop big money on a game and the people who only want to spend a dollar. It can be hard to pull yourself out of a certain mindset when it comes to how you think an industry should work, but it's important to learn a lesson from industries that have failed to do that in the past, such as the music industry. They fought MP3s for a long time before finally realizing that it was inevitable. I kinda view IAP the same way. Now to convince my 34 year old Atari 2600 playing mind of that. :)

6. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #6 Rubicon, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
    I would utterly ignore people moaning about IAP and pricing in general. It's mostly a Pavlov's dog reaction based on peer pressure, usually by kids.

Our latest title took six man years to create and I've already had many moans that this amount of work can't possibly be worth the same as a hamburger, but I won't be put off by such insulting drivel.

Our base price is 3 bucks but there are another 7 bucks of optional IAP's available. Currently over 10% of customers buy them all, and that may well increase as they get to the end of the single player campaign. That's all I need to really know tbh.

7. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Here's simple proof. Look at the top 25 grossing apps. That should clear up the "is IAP working" question.