length of iphone games...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by YouSuckDude, Dec 11, 2010.

1. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    alright so i got infinity blade, eternal legacy and dungeon hunter 2 all on the day of release and have already completed all of them...i'd be willing to pay 9.99 per game for a lengthy game...i want one that takes me like a month to complete...imagine eternal legacy with 50 chapters instead of 6 omgawh...

2. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Gta is fairly long with lots to do in it.

3. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    beat GTA months ago though broski

4. Axidrain

Axidrain Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2010
    I feel you man. But I guess we're getting there. The AppStore transitioned from being filled with angry birds, doodle jump clones and fart apps to games that are actually mirroring the mainstream consoles and handhelds. Im thinking next year will be a really interesting one as far as games on the AppStore are concerned. Only a matter of time >:3

5. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    no way.... idk about dh2, but eternal legacy is supposed to have 16 hours of gameplay, and beating the godking in infinity blade doesnt mean youve finished it. im on my second bloodline since defeating him, and am still enjoying it a lot.

6. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    16 hours isn't much for a JRPG. The average Final Fantasy is 40 hours, and some games like Persona 3 and DQ7 take as much as 70 hours just to get to the credits for the first time.

7. OneEye

OneEye Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    If you want that much content you are going to have to pay. No way it makes sense to sell a game with 20-40 hours of content for .99... or even 10 bucks.

Hell most console games these days (which cost 20-50 million to make) have 6-10 hours of gameplay.

8. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    #8 ArcheAngel, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
    I agree that iOS games could have a little more longevity but in this case....

I think you need to find other interest to expand the shelf life of your apps to better justify your costs.

Try augmenting the games so that you don't burn through them.

If your going through games that fast...it doesn't matter how long they are.

And least yea not forget....this is a mobile platform, not matter how much or close they are coming to console "quality" they length still resembles mobile...memory, ram, file sizes, & battery life.

9. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    Again....mobile device running on batteries and independent RAM.

Not saying it's impossible....just sayin'

10. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    hell, read a book or something

11. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    #11 SirAwesome, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
    Ill agree with what others have already mentioned, remember the price your paying for. However lenghty mobile games are out there just not so much for the iOS yet, i mean how long does it take to beat a pokemon game on the ds? upwards of 20 hrs im ball parking but yet those games cost 30-40 a pop.

And in my opinion cost is realtive, how much does an average movie ticket cost ? $5-7 that last for maybe 2 hrs ? I like movies but I think I would personally reather have Infinity Blade than watch a movie at the theater.

12. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #12 dumaz1000, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
    You are very close to being alone, my friend. If you feel this way, then you have adopted the wrong gaming device. If you feel this way, then you are what the industry might classify as a "dedicated gamer." If you are a dedicated gamer, then you have come to the wrong place.

My advice to you is to get a 3DS when it comes out.

When it comes to the iDevice, you get what you pay for and a $10 game is something that the vast majority of iDevice owners don't particularly want. Lack of content or a short campaign mode are the two biggest things to can generally expect to recieve when you are buying your games so ridculously cheap. There are some expections, but for the most part games, particularly high-end games, are going to be short when the cost $7 or less.

50 chapters of Eternal Legacy would cost you a whole lot more than 9.99, by the way. Let's not be unreasonable here. It looks to me like you are after console quality content. Console quality content is going to cost you a console quality price. You're not going to get that for $10. More like $30.

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    A new game for my ps3 costs 64.99 with tax. Even at the amount I spend per month in the AppStore, which is over 50, that doesn't even touch the cost of one new console game. You get what you pay for. The people making these games need to money man. I don't feel games are short at all anyways. $50-60 gets you over 10 good games, most often alot more because of sales. Multiply it out and you'll get much more play time than one console game. In any case, if you're gonna compare playtime, you should at least compare it to other portable devices. The RPGs I pay $40 for on my psp take a equal or less amount of time to finish than even the original dungeon hunter. There's nothing to complain about. When you truly think about it, you're robbing the developers with every purchase in the AppStore due to how low of a price you're paying.

14. MrStayPuft

MrStayPuft Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    Zenonia has me in 32 hours and I'm not finished yet. A lot of it is level grinding and side missions, but there's still a lot of game there. Another game that seems to have a some lenght and depth to it is Lego Harry Potter. I haven't played it yet but from what I read in the reviews there's a lot of game in there. I might get into that one next :)

And Infinity Blade is not over. I beat the God-King twice, I'm at Level 40, all weapons mastered, purchased the Infinity Blade and I'm still playing it trying to unlock all achievements.