Railroad Revolution announced

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ChezDoodles, Apr 16, 2009.

1. ChezDoodles

ChezDoodles Well-Known Member

Hi Guys!

Just wanted to let you guys that a Twitter feed has been set up for screenshots from our upcoming game Railroad Revolution. More details follows.

http://twitter.com/amazinggames

This is the first screenshot - released yesterday:
    [​IMG]

2. monteboyd

monteboyd Well-Known Member

Nice looking screenshot. What type of game is it? Railroad sim?

3. ChezDoodles

Twitter update

...and this is the screenshot for today on the Twitter feed:

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

4. shkudt

shkudt Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Moscow
    #4 shkudt, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
    just found on your site:
    Amazing Games is excited to present to you a very special challenge!

Hailed as an engineering feat to rival the Egyptian pyramids, we invite you to take a step back in history to the 1860’s to participate in the race to build the First Transcontinental Railroad across the United States of America. Every inch gained by you, is an inch lost by other players across the world.

Discover! Build! Research! Invent! Design! Buy! Sell! Sabotage!

and two more screens here: http://railroadrevolution.com/

looks interesting :)

Attached Files:

5. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Wow. No clue what type of game this will be (suggesting railroad sim?) but the graphics are beautiful! The colors are sharp, and the overall design of the screens look really, really nice. I think I'll get this when it comes out, sucker for killer graphics like this one :p.

Any release dates, pricing details, etc.?

6. ChezDoodles

It is a real time strategy game about building your railroad empire stretching across the United States of America.

7. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Just what I needed, something new to get all worked up about.:mad:
    Graphics, look great, description sounds great, especially the "sabotage" bit, if controls are great too, I'll have to start saving up. Oh well...:D

8. ChezDoodles

Camera Zoom

Thee shots released on Twitter feed to demonstrate camera zoom:

50% Zoom:
    [​IMG]

80% Zoom:
    [​IMG]

95% Zoom:
    [​IMG]

9. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
  10. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
  11. ChezDoodles

Gov. funding

Hi guys!

Just wanted to add a quick update - during the NordicGame conference, I was called upon stage to receive a government funded grant of $95,000 for Railroad Revolution! This is something other indie developers might be interested to learn more about, since all the nordic countries have implemented systems to fund game development and promote the games business ... just like they support the movie business. In Norway, more than 30 companies were competing for the grant, and a handfull companies were rewarded, among them tiny Amazing Games :)

Take care!

12. ChezDoodles

Celebration

To celebrate the grant we received, a few more screenshots have been released on our twitter channel.

First, a few iPhone images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...as you can see, the iPhone version share the same look and feel with "other" versions, and we are very happy that the iPhone version running at a steady 20 fps now - which gives it a very responsive and super-smooth feeling, especially compared to some other simulation/RTS titles on iPhone :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. fantomik

fantomik Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Poland
    Congratulations :) And I'll wait patiently for the game release :) It would be great if you would post info about planned release date and pricing model when they'll be available :)

Cheers,
    f.

14. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    $95,000 grant? Excellent, finally some countries are putting their money into something useful.

This game really does look good, But might i ask, are different times of the day simulated? Will the building shadows get longer in the evening, and shorter at midday?

15. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    From twitter:

Main difference: 1 lightsource vs 3 lights on "other" platform. Simpler or no shadows. Lower poly. No reflections. But all bumpmapped! >Sven
    about 4 hours ago from web

We are very happy with how we manage to keep the iPhone look&feel in sync with the "other" versions. Runs at a steady 20 fps on iPhone now
    about 4 hours ago from web

16. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    ...This is coming to iPhone?!
    Alright, I'm curious now. Especially because the graphics are pretty darn sweet.

17. ChezDoodles

Question: day/night cycle and shadows

The current lighting system - which is a day and night lighting system, does not produce dynamic shadows on iPhone, but it does on all "other" platforms.

HOWEVER, the game feature two historic campaigns ... where both covers close to a decade in american history, played out over approximately 50 "levels" each ... where each "level" is really more a constraint in time and tasks you need to perform, rather than geographic location - since you are pretty much free to move your camera seamlessly around across half the continent at any one time.

BUT ... eh ... (sorry about that) ... my point is that since EACH of the historic campaign covers approximately 5 hours of gameplay, you will have day/night transition every 6th second!

...WHICH is just annoying. So we might end up dropping the night shifts altogether ... or we might end up just changing the day/night visuals every "week" or so. This will have to be subject to a bit of focus group testing.

So, a firm "maybe" is all I can offer at this point :)

18. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Awesome. Is there a planned price on this?

19. ChezDoodles

Question: release date / price

I would love to give you that information. But we are having some initial discussions with some publishers about this projects, and right now pretty much everything is up in the air ... since, if we decide to go with a publisher, they would definitely like to have a say on these subjects.

However, we are moving ahead with development at a steady pace ... right now I am improving the world editor (which is part of the game code right now ... but might end up being taken out before the game ships) ... building an entire continent is big undertaking. But it would be supercool if we manage to include a user-friendly world editor so the users could share their own "worlds".

Next time around I hope to show some lakes and waters ... and I might even tell you about the "sabotage" option, which is nothing like what you would expect from game themed around railroads... It is supercool!

20. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    OK. G'luck. I have a feeling it's Chillingo. :rolleyes: