Will apps/games be compatible with the 3.0 update?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Reaganomics, May 18, 2009.

1. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Will all idevice games be compatible with the 3.0 update or should some of us game players be concerned in terms of losing game date and not being able to play games we've spent money on?

2. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Apple informed all devs a couple weeks ago that all new updates will be tested against 3.0, not 2.x. So they're going to be rejecting apps that aren't working. So we're all supposed to be spending the next few weeks fixing any problems, before 3.0 comes out. However, Apple says that any apps that do not work may be removed from the store when 3.0 is live. So if there's a game you're worried about, write the dev, to make sure they're ready.

Expect to see a giant load of updates soon, all pertaining to 3.0 compatibility fixes.

3. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

The biggest problem I see coming is all the apps and games that have been released and NEVER updated or only updated one time many months ago. Apple may be testing new submissions (whether they are brand new apps or updates), but how many people do they have going through the thousands of older, possibly orphan apps? Probably zero. I think they expect each developer to do their own beta testing on 3.0 whether they have a planned update or not.

I haven't had time to issue a new update to Rogue Touch lately, but I have tested my current version 1.5 personally on OS 3.0 beta 5 to ensure it will be OK. No problems of course.

It's easy to imagine some serious chaos when 3.0 goes live if devs don't follow instructions and check their own apps, thankfully I wont be part of the problem ;)

4. craneballs

craneballs Well-Known Member

I hope that they will go thru all apps and remove those abandoned ones.

5. Jane

Jane Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    #5 Jane, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    ----

6. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Good opportunity to get rid of some of the trashy ones. There NEEDS to be some form of basic quality control IMHO, there are too many dumb clones or novelty applications. Otherwise decent apps/games get lost amongst the debris. Sure, there are sites like this to say what's great and what isn't but most people are going to rely on the reviews in the Store. And we all know those aren't always 100% trustworthy... ;)

7. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    They won't. That's a full time job. I believe it's going to be up to the customers to complain to Apple about an app not working. But I agree with you, I'd love it if there were a sweep. But how would that look in advertising? The App Store: Now with 20,000 less apps than before!

8. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    Indeeed they do - just happened to my lite version of clapboard due to a bug in the beta 5 it was rejected, so I had to implement a workaround and resubmit.

All apps from now appearing in the App STore are supposed to be compatible with 3.0b5.

The announced to remove ll Apps not being compatible later on.