RPG Games :

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by scottyd2k9, Dec 8, 2009.

1. scottyd2k9

scottyd2k9 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Unemployed
    st helens (UK)
    Wouldn't it be good if there was a miniture version of runescape for thr ipod or iphone , like zenonia but a bit more runescape like.

Also can you name a few good RPG's and your best ones because ive only got 3 an i would love some more.

2. H-T0WN/G4M3R

H-T0WN/G4M3R Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Which 3 do you have?

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009

If you don't have Inotia 2, then you should get it.

4. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Most likely you have Dungeon Hunter since that's the best one I can think of, Zenonia is great, but you probably have that, and Underworlds is a ton of fun. Elven Chronicles is also a fun turn based RPG, and for one that doesn't involve exploration, but is all conversation and a great battle system, go for TNA. It's one of the finest RPG's on the platform.

5. razorflare77

razorflare77 Active Member

Nov 19, 2009
    The North Pole
    What is TNA? BTW Vay is a turn based RPG. Fantastic game, great price, my favorite on the platform. I enjoy it even more than all the other 3-d RPG's.

6. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Inotia 2 and Zenonia are the only RPGs that have any replay value. Undercroft is more complex but still playable if you like things that way. This excludes all the turn-based RPGs of course. There are more quality turn-based RPGs than regular RPGs.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'll take Ragnarok over the kiddie noob-fest that is Runescape. I'm sure it's a technical marvel, but the players are idiots.

8. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Um, excuse me... turn-based RPGs ARE regular RPGs... are you seriously saying Action RPGs are the only true RPG? Turnbased RPGs came FIRST and they are still the ones i prefer..

9. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Maybe they mean strategy RPGs? I didn't really get it either, to be honest.

Anyway, I would recommend the newly released Inotia 2 (Wanderer of Luone), Zenonia, and Dungeon Hunter (a bit short though). Those take up the majority of my iPhone gaming time.

10. Bochu

Bochu Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I actually tried TNA lite, marvelled that there was a wrestling RPG, and it was very interesting. If you like wrestling, it's loads of fun. However, while it's fun in respect to wrestling fans, I don't see it being all that great for others.

For example, I felt like the strategy was a bit limited. While there is strategy, I felt like doing different moves on the other wrestler was more for mixing things up rather than one set of moves actually being any better than other other. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. So I ended up doing the same moves over and over which killed the gameplay for me. However, the game is very fun when it comes to the dialogue and seeing actual wrestlers from the "sport".

I liked Underworlds a lot because of the customization of the party and the variety of talents to sink points into. It also played smoothly and the controls for the most part worked well. The downside I guess would be that the graphics are nothing to write home about. I didn't mind since I prefer gameplay over visuals any day.

I'm playing Dungeon Hunter right now. I'm a mage and the game is visually great but I have a few gripes. I wish the spells for the mage were a bit more exciting. As it is, and I'm only level 13, it seems like you have the choice between single target spells for each element and one slowing spell. True, you can also cast a dummy and a buddy to fight with you, but everything is just damage. No stunning, no freezing, no chaining, mostly no multi-hit (but the fairies do that anyways). I'd say it's got just enough in gameplay, as far as I've played so far, to make it fun but doesn't try to go further. Other than those gripes, everything else is great: story and characters are intriguing, moving between areas is exceptionally well done, visuals are stunning although I wish you could zoom in or out, and there's plenty of equipment drops. The game is a bit on the easy side so far though.

I liked Zenonia because of the extensive talent tree and the equipment drops. Other than that, I didn't find it toooo exciting.

Chronicles of Inotia, the first one, was useless for me. I won't go further. I am excited about getting this second one though.

Underworld was fun when I got it when it first came out. I haven't played it since they've updated it but I plan to. It's strange that I would think Dungeon Hunter is lacking when Underworld didn't have close to the amount of talents DH has. The difference I guess is that Underworld was 0.99 and DH is not. I guess I can't have it all.

And I agree that "regular RPG", to me, no way refers to only action rpgs. I think of Zelda and other action RPGs as lite versions of role playing games. They're like Mario with a slight RPG element to them. Final Fantasy defines an RPG to me.

11. RankoSao

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    My recommendations would be Yipe, Undercroft, and Vay

12. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

My mistake, I meant to say strategy-RPGs.
    My favourite genre of RPGs are turn-based too. Turn-based RPGs actually started out in China with some landmark games that almost all games try to follow now, but as usual Japan takes all the credit for it. :rolleyes:

13. scottyd2k9

scottyd2k9 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Unemployed
    st helens (UK)
    Thank alot guys appreciate it , i have vay , zenonia and another one cant think of the name but its not new i haven't been on my ipod lately it kept freezing but it's working perfect now , decided to play on it again after waiting a few month for a game that never did come out , but yeah thanks for those guys , i'll get a i-tunes card from my c-card tonight .

Is there any multiplayer RPG games something like pokemon or ?

Thanks !!!

14. RankoSao

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    CozyQuest. If you want Pokemon, closest thing here would be Epic Pet Wars.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Turn based RPGs did not start out in China, but in the US with games like Wizardry: The Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord and Ultima.

I am curious about those Chinese RPGs you mention, though. Any info you can share?

16. RankoSao

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Man, i loved Ultima... they dont make games like that anymore... Ultima Quest of the Avatar on the NES was AWESOME

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I played Wizardry off and on, but I was an Ultima fiend -- I must have played that game for hundreds of hours on my Apple IIe. And you are right: I doubt that something as idiosyncratic as that would actually be released these days.

18. RankoSao

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    that really makes me a sad panda, i mean, to me Ultima Avatar was the PERFECT game. So many hidden passages and hidden nooks and crannies i could explore, the locked doors i was dying to explore, the whole virtue system that wasnt seen, before or since... You know what? screw this, im going to fire up my NES Emulator.