Where are the good games developers gone to?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by linuslim, Sep 12, 2010.

1. linuslim

linuslim Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    are there any good games developer that did not develop iphone game for long time?

one of them i can think of is developer for Trism, the puzzle hit game. i am sure there is a huge bunch of such developers out there.

with so many games in appstore, the good older games may be missed by new idevice owners.

how do these games get noticed again and does this affect developers not design games anymore?

2. Uberblake

Uberblake Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Well to start off... If stupid developers stopped making crappy remakes...then maybe the original dev would get more money... Which means more updates/more games

3. sprout

sprout Member

Aug 24, 2010
    I love apps, I have no problem paying $5.99 to support a Dev and a well made app. I often wonder how the great classics get lost in the mix of everything. but then I remember the problem is you can't find the well made apps anymore because the store is flooded with crappy remakes, no direction, and no thought type apps. Those few good apps are getting lost in the mix and Uberblake is right, and it's no wonder we don't see anything else from the golden devs :( If it weren't for TA I'd be sifting through crap in my favorite game genres for days just to find one good game :(

I even wonder how helpful it is now a days to write that great review and vote it 5 stars? Because people rate the crappiest made games 5 stars just because they are free and rate a game 1 start because they couldn't figure out how to turn the sound off or something ridiculous....

::: getting off soap box ::: sorry...

4. iFanzine

iFanzine Well-Known Member

@sprout: Well said! :)

5. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Hi Blake.

6. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Yeah, the App store needs a Crap App Bomb - I'm just glad I was turned on to Super Mega Worm; best game in the app store I've played in quite a while.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    really..

8. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I don't get it :confused:

9. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

In the case of Trism, the sequel is coming, although at this point it seems more like vapourware.

I would suggest the reasons for the long delay are:
    1) Milking the success of the original
    2) The "sequel blues" - its always more difficult second time round, especially after creating a critically and commercially successful product. The stakes are higher, the expectations raised etc.
    3) Other projects. I know that the guy behind Trism did some other stuff in the intervening period, such as port it to Android and he was working on a iOS social network for quite a while, before eventually shelving it.
    4) Its also quite likely that iOS updates and product refreshes have had an effect. I know this was the case with Chopper 2.

10. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I completely agree with you. I too, like to look through the "What's Hot" section or the top lists, and they're often filled with crap, or apps that don't belong under that genre. Look at the role-playing section for example. Half of the stuff listed as "hot" apps are just points for other games. Those aren't games; They don't belong under a sub-genre of games. I, for one, was pretty happy when Apple started laying down the banhammer on worthless apps. I just wish they'd be even more strict.

But, you have to realize that this situation is a result of the population of consumers as a whole. I have no problem paying $5 or $10 for a very good game, but the same can't be said about most people. When you see a lot of people on the forums whining about a $2-3 price tag, it becomes obvious why the app store is filled with $1 pieces of junk. (This is not to say that all $1 apps are junk, because they're not. But we can all agree that there exist many apps which are both $1 and junky.) It's because it's more economical to create those than attempt to develop a quality $5 game. Most people would rather have 5x mediocre games than a single quality one. Add in the fact that there are zero entries to barrier for developing iPhone games, and you end up with developers that spit out crap like it's their job. (Well, I guess it actually is.)