Sound Format?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Secret Base, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Secret Base

Secret Base Member

Feb 2, 2012
    This is probably a rather noobish question, but a friend pointed out that I shouldn't use mp3 format for my game as there seems to be some patent issues. I did a quick search from the trust worthy Wikipedia, and got the following, "In September 1998, the Fraunhofer Institute sent a letter to several developers of MP3 software stating that a license was required to "distribute and/or sell decoders and/or encoders". The letter claimed that unlicensed products "infringe the patent rights of Fraunhofer and Thomson. To make, sell and/or distribute products using the [MPEG Layer-3] standard and thus our patents, you need to obtain a license under these patents from us"

So yea... is this true? If so, what other format do you guys uses?

2. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    All iphone dev use MP3.
    You don't distribute or sell MP3 encoder or decoder. You use the one from apple API.

3. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    No we don't... :confused:

The format really depends on the purpose. E.g. for music you'll want to take advantage of hardware decoding and use AAC/m4a format (which sounds better at lower bitrates than mp3). For sound fx running through OpenAL or other software mixer use a CAF container.

4. Hercule

Dec 16, 2010
    Of course, I mean all Dev are using MP3 if they want to.

5. Secret Base

Secret Base Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Sounds like we're safe with mp3. Thanks!

6. DomAjean

DomAjean Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Personally, I don't find that AAC/m4a sounds better in lower resolution than the mp3.

7. Vidkid72

Vidkid72 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I use .caf for sound in my Cocos2D games.

8. I feel MP3 is still too big for background music. Any better options?

9. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Something we do is make all our music Mono as the device only has one speaker. Halves your size usage and sounds the same on device (unless you pop in headphones)

10. Hercule

Dec 16, 2010
    You can probably reduce the bitrate too.
    Unless you do a musical game like me, do what Rogue say. Put the sound in mono. From experience 90% of people won't notice that the sound is in mono.

11. Hmm, sounds a great idea!

12. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I am using mp3 when I want to use the hardware on iOS for background music. But my engine is cross platform and I am using ogg files for everything else. Nowdays, the idevice are so fast that if you are doing "simple" games like mine, you can stream everything from an ogg file, so I can have much more complex ambiant environment (and just 1 code for all platforms).

JC