Poll again~do you really care about the Retina display?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TapMad_D, Mar 9, 2011.

?

do you really care about the retina display?

1. YES! I NEED RETINA DISPLAY!

62.3%
  2. NO, i can't see much difference.

13.2%
  3. ummm, it depends on the game itself.

24.5%
  1. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    hey buddies,

we are working on the visual part of our game, then it comes up with the retina display thing. since retina support will surely increase the game size(maybe larger than 50M), we are not certain whether it worths the extra bits. So, as always, i come for your help.
    Do you really care about the retina display?

BTW, do you know or care that games bigger than 20M can not be downloaded with your 3G network?

cheers,
    David
    CEO
    TapMad Ltd.

2. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    I'll vote for a full res version for the iPad :)

Rixx

3. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I would say to certainly include retina display if at all possible, though it does somewhat depend on the game. (A retro game with pixel graphics doesn't need it)

Also, as an ipod touch owner I can only download apps over wifi anyway.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Yes, retina does matter most of the time. On same games, such as Wild Frontier, however, the lack of retina is barely noticeable.

Maybe you could take a look into this thread about having retina graphics as a separate download? http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=1622589

Ninjatown: Trees of Doom is one such app which has a separate download for retina graphics.

As for the 20mb limit: I do worry about that, since i want my favorite devs to be able to get more downloads. At the same time, however, it's a good incentive to keep things apps condensed/prevent bloat. Apps which are larger will generally be bigger productions anyway, so sales through 3g aren't as much of a problem.

5. jxw245

jxw245 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Texas
    It depends on the style of graphics on my opinion, if it's like a cartoon such as tiny Wings, Fruit Ninja or Angry Birds then imo it's not a big deal but if it's say Jenga, or Modern Combat 2where the blocks/guns are meant to look real then i am disappointed if it doesn't have it.

6. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

If an app/game isn't retina optimized, I won't buy it.

I don't care if an app/game is over 20 MB since I'm usually downloading apps over Wi-Fi only.

7. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Seems a no-brainer to me. If you plan ahead just a little bit, you should be able to use the iPad graphics and layout pretty much as-is.

The one gotcha in that is that buttons and stuff need to be bigger so they're physically tappable at the tiny size of the display. But it's not a biggie really.

8. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Yes, retina display is almost an absolute must. Once the iPhone 6, iPod Touch 6, and iPad 3 comes out, its a must.

9. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I am not sure if that is a joke or not.

10. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I am not joking... In a little more than year, retina display will be an absolute must to sell.

11. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    millions of thx to you guys!
    we will look into the issue more and see if we could figure out a better plan which is more balanced.
    :)

12. hotspringfan

hotspringfan Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Retina display is the trend that the mobile games will have to devote. We customers are/will be more demanding. Who knows we demand other displays superior to Retina someday in the near futur.

13. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Do you have the marketing background to show some facts on this? Or really anything aside of opinion?

14. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Chances of getting my money are slim to none if Retina is not a part of the package. It's pretty rare that I bother with anything non-Retina.

15. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I'll only buy an iPhone game if it has retina, because I only use an iPad. If it won't upscale decently with FullForce or RetinaPad, the blurry graphics take away from the fun.

16. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    gotcha. interesting~~i should count in the iPad users.
    thx~